• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I have an old CB radio from my dad. I have the antenna, radio itself and the microphone. I'm missing the cords to the radio. Anyone know where I can find parts?
    I don't have a picture or model name off the top of my head. I'll update this later tomorrow
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Texas SOT

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    fb3ef369937e243a1523df496553a52c.jpg

c2a0dcf0eb98ee421db82964abdeb83e.jpg

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I have an old CB radio from my dad. I have the antenna, radio itself and the microphone. I'm missing the cords to the radio. Anyone know where I can find parts?
    I don't have a picture or model name off the top of my head. I'll update this later tomorrow
    Thanks

The model name is right there in the pictures. Have you checked RadioShack? :D

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Realistic+TRC-427&_sacat=0

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I think all I'm missing is a 3 pin power cable. I'll have to check Frys or someplace

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yep, most truck stops carry some CB radio parts.

Also, where are you located? I know of a few shops in SA that sell parts...

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Yep, most truck stops carry some CB radio parts.

Also, where are you located? I know of a few shops in SA that sell parts...

I'm in Houston. Surprisingly Frys electronics didn't have it! The dude was like "I don't even know what kind of plug that is"
    I ordered one on Amazon

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    The crimp on the antenna connector looks a little sketchy. If you find it doesn't work right, you can always crimp on a new one though, but the tools might cost more than a new antenna. Not sure what kind of antenna you have, but most often the included/kit antenna sucked.

Not sure what your plans are with the radio, but for a low end box you can tweak it a little bit if you plan to actually use it. Some YouTube videos on how to do the basics (like crank up the modulation a bit), but keep in mind you can technically break the law by doing so (although literally nobody cares).

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I'm in Houston. Surprisingly Frys electronics didn't have it! The dude was like "I don't even know what kind of plug that is"
    I ordered one on Amazon

Surprising only to people who haven't been to a Fry's in a decade. Just like RadioShack, you used to be able to get even the most obscure electronic parts there, and now, well at least you can still get all the parts to build your own computer, but the rest is like the electronics department at Target.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    The crimp on the antenna connector looks a little sketchy. If you find it doesn't work right, you can always crimp on a new one though, but the tools might cost more than a new antenna. Not sure what kind of antenna you have, but most often the included/kit antenna sucked.

Not sure what your plans are with the radio, but for a low end box you can tweak it a little bit if you plan to actually use it. Some YouTube videos on how to do the basics (like crank up the modulation a bit), but keep in mind you can technically break the law by doing so (although literally nobody cares).

I had thoughts to put it in my jeep but not sure yet. If anything just a desk radio
    Can you explain what modulation is? I'm new to this stuff and Wikipedia isn't great at explaining

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I had thoughts to put it in my jeep but not sure yet. If anything just a desk radio
    Can you explain what modulation is? I'm new to this stuff and Wikipedia isn't great at explaining

Radio works by means of waves. Like if you throw a rock into a lake, it makes waves with crests and valleys, spreading out from the origin.

Now there's two basic ways of making this wave carry information. Modifying the the amplitude of the wave (increasing the distance between the crest and valley, think vertically), i.e. amplitude modulation, known as AM.

Or modifying the distance between the crests, think horizontally. You can measure the distance between those crests, usually in meters (wave length), or how many times per second a wave crest comes along (frequency). Hence if you make the carrier wave transport information by changing the distance between wave crests, that's frequency modulation, i.e. FM.

There's also SSB, but that's just PFM and outside the scope of this post.

The make your signal go farther, there are several ways of going about this. More power (wattage). A larger stone thrown into the pond, or throwing it harder. Or put your antenna up higher and make it larger (you're throwing your rock from high up making a bigger splash)

With me so far? Good, because now it gets technical:

Modulation - what is it and how much is too much?

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Radio works by means of waves. Like if you throw a rock into a lake, it makes waves with crests and valleys, spreading out from the origin.

Now there's two basic ways of making this wave carry information. Modifying the the amplitude of the wave (increasing the distance between the crest and valley, think vertically), i.e. amplitude modulation, known as AM.

Or modifying the distance between the crests, think horizontally. You can measure the distance between those crests, usually in meters (wave length), or how many times per second a wave crest comes along (frequency). Hence if you make the carrier wave transport information by changing the distance between wave crests, that's frequency modulation, i.e. FM.

There's also SSB, but that's just PFM and outside the scope of this post.

The make your signal go farther, there are several ways of going about this. More power (wattage). A larger stone thrown into the pond, or throwing it harder. Or put your antenna up higher and make it larger (you're throwing your rock from high up making a bigger splash)

With me so far? Good, because now it gets technical:

Modulation - what is it and how much is too much?

So there's two ways of increasing range.
    1. Bigger/taller antenna
    2. Larger modulation
    So is it safe to say that a cheap/basic CB is gonna be lower powered and not reach as far? So people turn up the modulation to get better reception and range?

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I'm looking for 10-20mile reception in either direction to be safe at the least

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown

My experience was about a two mile range for mobile to mobile on a good day. And there weren't that many good days. You can stretch that a bit if you have a base radio with tall antenna. 5 watts is the legal max output allowed by the FCC, but there are ways to soup them up. At least, I always heard there was. That was way before Youtube, LOL.

Last edited:

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW

Forget about it. I had a half wavelength antenna (that's 18 ft long), on a mast, on a hill, on a 150W booster, and THAT got me 10 miles on a good day, 5 miles guaranteed. And that was a slightly less than legal CB setup, and stationary, not mobile.

For long distance, you need radio amateur equipment.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I'm only concerned that if I was, say out hunting/wheeling in big bend area for example. There's no one for MILES!

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I used to wow the kids by lighting a standard 4 foot florescent light bulb, merely by standing next to the car with the bulb in my hand and keying the mic. Fun times.

Top Bottom