• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I don't do CASS or anything but I shoot BP and conversions as well as single action. My carry gun at times as well.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    There are CAS and SASS matches that I shoot at a couple times per month.
    D409C0F2-E1F3-49E8-BE83-407E5ABB3B1E.jpeg

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Yes, if you mean like participating in CAS.
    Yes, I am a member of the WFDA. Unfortunately I cannot participate. I have nerve damage to my right hand and after about two draws I cannot feel my hand and drop my shooter. Not Good! I use and carry a Colt Bisley (1904) 4 3/4 inch. 95% original blue and good case colors. I have several Bisleys and other First Generation SAA Colts. I attend shooting events as a consultant and to show vintage siz shooters.

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Rebuilt this Colt 1878 up from not much, look close and you can see the ejection assembly is from a 2nd Gen SAA. It was fun learning about these old pistols, you don't see them much but I did see one in Tombstone.
    The Colt Model 1878 Double Action is a great gun. It had to live down an awful stigma being so close in rese which has a resemblance to the 1877 DA which was Colt's first DA. They were finicky and broke easily. The 78 didn't have a wide production. I sometimes carry one short barrel in ,45 Colt.

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I collect old west guns and what I call "Noir" guns. Here's a couple of S&W DAs from that era in 44 Russian, top and 44-40 bottom.
    Many years ago I fell deeply in love with revolver from the 1850's till the turn of the century. There is such a wide variety to drool over. Over the past fifty years I bought and traded literally hundreds of them to get where I am today. When I started looking at S&W in the 60's when they were really cheap. I could afford really cheap back then. I started with the Model 1 and kept going. Then got bit by the single action pieces and really put a dent in my finances. First, Second and Third Model Americans ten came the Russian Models not to mention Scofield. Sometimes I carry a Third Model Russian 4 inch with ivory stocks. There are just so many varieties. Have fun collecting!

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    i learn something every day. i honestly thought the Colt models 1877 and 1878 weren’t available in .45 Colt.

also, thought .44 Russian cartridge was solely made for the single action S&W.

thanks guys

Last edited:

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    There are some misconceptions about those two Colt Models.
    The Model 1877 DA was available in only three calibers. The .38 Colt model was known as the "Lightning" in many variations and finishes. The next was the .41 Colt known as the "Thunderer" and it too came in many variations and finishes. AND the rarity of the 1877's is the one in .32 Colt known as the "Rainmaker". Rarely seen and even more rarely offered for sale. Expect to spend in the thousands for a "Rainmaker"! The Model 1877 went out of production in 1909.
    The Model 1878 was a whole different ballgame. The big brother to the 1877, was a far more robust revolver. It was offered in several calibers and many variations and finishes. The 78 was successful and widely used but at that time it had a lot of competition from other manufacturers of double action revolvers.
    I hope this helps.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    Most definitely, Mad John. I had the 78 confused with the 77 Thunderer.

I get a kick out of competing with the old “style” cowboy guns. Speaking of the break tops, I bought this “modern Schofield” & could never find a 2nd one. So, it’s languishing.
    541AFBFB-D0E4-4BC6-A4D2-9110513954EF.jpeg

I ended up getting 2x Navy Arms reproductions instead that I shoot left & right handed. They were new model russians but I didn’t like their lengths nor the top hump on the grip frame, so a gunsmith in So Cal chopped ‘em up so they more closely resemble Americans now.

Last edited:

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I'm a fan of single action revolvers myself. My favorite so far has probably been the 1875 Remington repo I got to try in .45 Colt. First two shots I put right on top of each other at 10 yards and was sold.

I really like the Schofield also but mucho $$$.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    Oh I agree, when I bought that one they were a ton cheaper.

Funny you brought the Remi’clone.
    I ended up with a backup set (in .357) of the Cimarron (Uberti) Outlaws. Like your experience, I found them to be great natural pointing shooters.
    A96FB2F8-AFBC-43BB-A489-AFBA936ACB0D.jpeg

Isn’t Texas Jack’s / Cimarron FA near you?

Last edited:

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Isn’t Texas Jack’s / Cimarron FA near you?

It's in Fredericksburg, a few hours away from me. It's definitely closer to me than it is to you. :D

The Schofields are fun shooters and it's really fun breaking open the action and throwing spent brass everywhere.

I'm not as big of a fan of those shorter barrel Remingtons, mainly due to the look but I wouldn't kick 'em out of bed for eating crackers either.

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Feb 27, 2009
    It's in Fredericksburg, a few hours away from me. It's definitely closer to me than it is to you. :D

The Schofields are fun shooters and it's really fun breaking open the action and throwing spent brass everywhere.

I'm not as big of a fan of those shorter barrel Remingtons, mainly due to the look but I wouldn't kick 'em out of bed for eating crackers either.
    I bought this EP Saddlery hoster from Texas Jack last year. It fit the Bearcat I gifted to my 10 year old grandson.
    039FEE9C-EA6D-48E1-8D38-AB3DCB465F06.jpeg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom