Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ... if some more usual competitions could get televised it would do wonders for protecting 2A rights.

Letting the Olympics drop shooting is a step in the wrong direction.
    I hope everyone remembers all the positive publicity that shooting got at this past Olympics. Remember when having fresh-faced Ginny get that first gold medal of the games in the ladies 10 meter air rifle event was splashed all over the news, repeatedly? And Kim Rhode even got her interview on the NBC studio couch, a privilege reserved for only the big-story folk.

That's the kind of image I'd like to see shooting project everywhere including, maybe especially, at the Olympics.

By the way, everybody did know that the founder of the modern Olympics was, among other things, a pistol shooter, right? For that reason, a shooting medal has traditionally been the first awarded at every Olympics. Now, there have been a few games where that wasn't the case but traditionally the first medal awarded at every Olympic Games is for shooting. Until the modern shoot off format was implemented, that sport was free pistol, one of the events that the ISSF and IOC are about to drop.

This isn't just a slap in the face to shooters; this is a slap in the face to anyone who appreciates the basic traditions of The Games.

Last edited:

Bobo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2016
    I would happily sign the petition if I were not required to open an account and abide by their privacy rules. It appears to me Change.log is an entity used for collection of information to sell. The Olympic Games have devolved into little more than Propaganda.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Too late. It's done.
    Brevity is the soul of wit, I suppose, but sometimes a few more words are helpful.

What's done? The petition passed its goal? Or the ISSF finally and officially locked down their next Olympic event list? Or something else?

t-astragal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    College Station
    Free pistol is no longer an Olympic sport. Rapid fire and air pistol are the men's events. Sport pistol and air pistol are the women's events. Apparently the movement to give an equal number of events for both sexes is the reason 50 meter free pistol was killed. Now each have 2 events. If I understand correctly though just like standard pistol and centerfire pistol, free pistol will still exist in other international events. But not the Olympic Games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Free pistol is no longer an Olympic sport. Rapid fire and air pistol are the men's events. Sport pistol and air pistol are the women's events. Apparently the movement to give an equal number of events for both sexes is the reason 50 meter free pistol was killed. Now each have 2 events. If I understand correctly though just like standard pistol and centerfire pistol, free pistol will still exist in other international events. But not the Olympic Games.
    Right. That was the situation when the petition was begun and when I started this thread.

Unless you choose to explain, I'll just assume your "It's done" comment was referring to the February ISSF filing with the IOC.

Top Bottom