• SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I shot my first IDPA match in about 6 months last night.

We got to the steel challenge stage and I saw a friend standing there without his eyepro on. I walked over and suggested that he put his glasses on.

Just as I made the suggestion, I took a peice of jacket inthe arm.

Dug it out and contined the mission.

The piece of jacket could have just as easily found my eye instead of my arm.

That is why we wear Eye pro at all times!

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    423507_236330473115824_100002166196212_519637_945947463_n.jpg

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Thanks for the reminder of their importance. I have on occasion got complacent about eyes, but not ears. Reminds you of what can really happen.

And since you bring it up, a couple questions about eyewear..

I've been using whatever cheap Wally world safety glasses I have - I think they are Winchester.
    They've worked fine, but they've gotten scratched up in handling and I don't really trash them.

So....

1. Are there really good safety glasses out there that I should consider spending more money on? Or is there no reason to spend any extra.
    2. Are any of you using safety glasses that can be roughly handled withouth getting scratched/scuffed up?
    2. Are there any kind of clear protective sheets that stick on them that can take abuse and prevent the glasses from getting scuffed that you can just swap out (kind of like phone screen protectors)

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    You might also look a he design of he targets and locations of contestants and observers. If your taking shrapnel you might be too close.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    Knowing what targets they were probably using my guess is that the steel was pitted. I've shot a lot of steel and the only time I've had fragments come back at me was on pitted targets.

SgtBrummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I'm trying to find a good set of prescription safety glasses. Anyone know where to get some at a good price?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I wear the z-81s I get from work but I have the same problems mic mentioned, easily scratched and even new they never really seem clear. I think he was wondering if it's worth buying a $70 pair of shooting glasses over the & 12 dollar pair at wally world. I've considered the dame but stayed cheap cause they're free.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I think he was wondering if it's worth buying a $70 pair of shooting glasses over the & 12 dollar pair at wally world.

Yup. That's what I'm looking for. I was running around with $20 Kohls or JC Penny cheap-ass Chinese belt, but you all educated me and I spent the money on a nice belt. Just wondering if I'm in the same boat with shooting glasses.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    If you are looking for a good pair of shooting glasses, Rudy Project is awesome. I used to have a discount code for them, so lemme know if you're interested.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    Good for you to help your friend to remember. I took a piece of hot brass between the eyes before. Stung like hell. I, too, always wear eye protection.

-Glen, Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    i always wear eye protection. i have gotten slag and metal in the eyes before. so i always put it on especially while shooting. ear protection i wear as needed. i really do not care if i go deaf, ive been shooting firearms and been around loud, constant noises for most of my life that if i were gonna go deaf it would have happened by now. i do have friends that have tinitus though, so your mileage may vary.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've been hit twice by pieces of jacket. Both in the same session on a plate rack. The plates weren't pitted, it just wasn't my day, I guess.

One piece clipped me in the ear, the other bounced right off my glasses.

Top Bottom