On the air today discussing HB47, shortening the CHL class requirement to 4-6 hours

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring
    On the air today discussing HB47, shortening the CHL class requirement to 4-6 h

Good show Gary! I listen and call whenever possible.

gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    Thanks, Dredge! Today's show certainly did garner a great deal of participation and feedback. We really have to thank Tracy Campbell of Double Action CHL for calling in to share his thoughts. The podcast will be up soon.

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring

I was quite surprised when my Mom called in. She asked me for the number and told me a few minutes later "it always a busy signal". I told her to keep trying and then there she was.
    She listens to you guys every time y'all are on and really enjoys shooting at Shiloh. It's been awesome watching her transform from a person fearing guns to actually embracing them.

Ken "in Spring"

Prothos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    My only concern is that we may loose the CHL carry in some states. there are a few now we cant carry in because the states dont think we are not restrictive enough

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    If they shorten the chl class, will this cause other states to drop their acceptance of TX chl's?

tx_transplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Greenville, TX
    If they shorten the chl class, will this cause other states to drop their acceptance of TX chl's?

My understanding is that reciprocity is based more on the depth and type of background check as opposed to training requirements (but I could be wrong). This seems to hold some validity to me, as TX and my former state of PA share reciprocity agreements. PA requires no training whatsoever.

gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    I don't think reciprocity will be affected. Reciprocity is typically negotiated by the states' attorneys general and/or governors. Sometimes, the syntax of the law simply results in automatic reciprocity. If I remember correctly, we originally gained reciprocity with Alabama as a result of Texas' decision to recognize Alabama permits. That's simply the way Alabama's law was written at the time.

I've mentioned that at the moment, I support this bill. One of the reasons is simply supporting expanded gun rights. However; I also support it because I currently believe it is possible to present the required materials for the class in 6 hours...4 is a little too short IMHO but, I'm actively reviewing my materials for an upcoming, private renewal class to see if even 6 hours is really too short or not.

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring

I'm curious to see if the caller that wanted to double the current time to 20 hours will actually take Jeff up on his offer.

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring

One can hope. I thought it laughable that he had such an opinion having NEVER taken the class or having any knowledge of the curriculum.

That guy, to me, sounded not much different than a gun grabber maybe without realizing it.
    The old' "I have no idea what it is but I think....."....idiot.....

gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    Actually, I think he likely was a closeted gun grabber. I had one in a CHL class several years ago. We're printing everybody during the class and she pipes up with, "I think everyone should be fingerprinted like this before buying a gun!" Not really sure how she made it out of the class without being pelted with 30 or so pairs of shoes.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    My understanding is that reciprocity is based more on the depth and type of background check as opposed to training requirements (but I could be wrong). This seems to hold some validity to me, as TX and my former state of PA share reciprocity agreements. PA requires no training whatsoever.

Nevada recently dropped reciprocity with Arizona when the latter's CHL stopped requiring a live fire test.

Also, New Mexico no longer accepts the Utah permit since the former's class is much longer than a 1 day.

Last edited:

gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    Nevada recently dropped reciprocity with Arizona when the latter's CHL stopped requiring a live fire test.

Also, New Mexico no longer accepts the Utah permit since the former's class is much longer than a 1 day.

It remains to be seen where Texas is headed with its program. HB47 proposes to shorten the time alotted to teach the course with no change in the materials we as instructors are expected to teach. I'm coming around to the opinion that this isn't a workable policy change. I've tried to present it all in a five hour renewal class and just couldn't get there.

I've confirmed, as Tracy at Double Action CHL mentioned, that at the same time, TxDPS has made a largely unannounced change in policy requiring that all new instructors and those renewing the certification as CHL instructors must now present outside certification as handgun instructors as part of their application. These certifications must come from the NRA, TCLEOSE, a private security or other company in accordance with Occupation Code 1702, or handgun instructor school that uses "a nationally accepted course designed to train persons as handgun instructors."

As I've been looking into it, it has become clear that those proposing this legislation really aren't thinking about the impact it might have on reciprocity. That, or they are expecting that as each state adopts rules closer to constitutional carry, that others will follow suit. I don't know that I'm willing to bet money, let alone my rights, on faith that states will simply follow our lead.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    If you can't make time for or sit still through a 10 hour class, you shouldn't be licensed to carry a handgun, in the first place. Sheesh. You have to take mandatory classes now to get your TXDL if you're 25 or younger, too. It ain't gonna kill ya.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

If you can't make time for or sit still through a 10 hour class, you shouldn't be licensed to carry a handgun, in the first place. Sheesh. You have to take mandatory classes now to get your TXDL if you're 25 or younger, too. It ain't gonna kill ya.

Why should I waste that time sitting in a class.

Carrying a handgun should not be a privilege reserved to those who can afford the state and class fees and give up an entire day sitting in a class which does little to nothing to teach any firearms safety and a proficiency test that is almost a joke.

The pertinent information could easily be covered in 4 hrs and it is up to the CHL holder to know the laws and be proficient.

Comparing to vehicles is apples to oranges as we do not have an enumerated right to drive a car on the highway.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Go read gcmj45acp's post again. It's a lot of info to cover in a CHL class. And it's not a "waste," good Lord. One day is going to cramp your style so much out of the 365.25 days you have available? You must be a VIP on-call 24/7 :rolleyes:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

I've been through the class. Sat through ridiculous videos, and I am on call 24/7 which is why I'm awake right now.

What are you afraid will happen if the class is shortened?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I'm pulled both ways on the "required" aspects of the CHL. In one respect, it allows those that actually want to learn to be exposed to the rules and regulations (however wrong that may be) that we are required to follow to remain law abiding citizens. But then again, if it's a constitutional right, why do we have to do anything to carry a gun? It's a tax, and it provides education for those that want it but ............. ?

Top Bottom