One bad apple could...

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by Bringer, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Bringer

Bringer New Member

Sep 5, 2009
    San Marcos
    http://www.rr.com/news/topic/article/rr/4473267/9270571/Firearms_conviction_brings_10-month_term

Oct. 20A Luling man has been sentenced to 10 months in federal prison for selling firearms without a license.

Alfred Dwight Watkins, 58, will also have to pay a fine of $11,232 and be on supervised release for three years after his term is served, according to the sentence handed down Friday by United States District Judge Sam Sparks.

Watkins pleaded guilty in August, admitting that he continued to sell at area gun shows after his federal firearms license had expired in 2003.

"An investigation conducted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) agents confirmed that Watkins was buying and selling firearms at Austin and San Antonio gun shows from January to March of 2009," said Daryl Fields, public information officer for the U. S. Attorney's Office.

"According to court documents, Watkins deliberately misinformed customers, telling them that no paperwork was required for transactions in an effort to 'flip' more firearms. Watkins also admitted that during a gun show in February 2009, he sold a firearm for $600 to a person who is lawfully prohibited from possessing a firearm," Fields said.

The ATF agents were also able to link Watkins to a firearm recovered from the Los Zetas drug cartel by Mexican authorities in November 2008.
    Fields said agents executed a search warrant at Watkin's residence in March and seized 65 firearms, "including a dozen assault rifles, plus approximately 59,000 rounds of ammunition."

As part of Watkin's guilty plea, he forfeited the guns and ammunition to federal authorities.

2. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Glad the guy was caught. People like him ruin it for everyone.

3. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Only 10 months????:332:
    That's :bs::bs::bs:!!!!
    10 years is what he should have got in a maximum security facility!

4. sharky47

sharky47 Active Member

May 4, 2008
    "Glad the guy was caught. People like him ruin it for everyone."

Really?

On a pro-gun board you are championing putting people in a cage for the act of selling guns without bureaucrat's permission.

This slave-on-slave violence mentality is sickening and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Sick.....

5. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    The law is what it is!
    I may not agree with it but it is the law!
    When people break these types of laws as related to guns it gives the anti gun folks way to much ammo so in this case the punishment should be stiff.
    I agree it's BS as the Constitution clearly gives us the right to keep and bare arms but there again - the law is the law!

6. sharky47

sharky47 Active Member

May 4, 2008
    It used to be lawful to own people. Doesn't make it right. At one time in Germany it was unlawful to hide a Jew. Doesn't make it right.

If you are not comfortable breaking bad laws - at least turn a blind eye - appeasing the thugs in DC is not going to get any liberty back. You don't have to help this guy break the law, but advocating that he be put in a cage by men with guns is just fukcing SICK!

The punishment should be stiff? Really? Do you actually hear the words that are coming out of your mouth? Would you say the same thing if they made it a hanging offense to own a military style weapon like in Kenya? Would you still say "it's the law, gotta abide, don't want to give the anti-gun people any more ammo"?

It amazes me that some of the most pro-statism, anti-gun people I come across are firearms enthusiasts.......

7. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

Call it what you want. Breaking the law is breaking the law.

8. sharky47

sharky47 Active Member

May 4, 2008
    Will you continue to celebrate "lawbreakers" going to jail when the law is one you cannot stand to abide?

Reminds me of this passage written by pastor Martin Niemöller:

When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
    I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;
    I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out.

9. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    Sharky, I think you are putting this out of perspective here.

This guy sold a lot of guns for profit. Its the rules, ya do that much business, ya gotta go through an FFL.

Going through an FFL doesn't infring upon your rights (at least not in Texas). It makes it annoying, costs time and probably adds a few dollars to the price of the gun. No big deal, in the grand scheme of things. I wanna buy a rifle or handgun, I pick it out, pay for it, fill out a form (that isn't registration. . . kinda) and take my gun to its new home.

The guy, knowingly (at least according to the article) sold to a person prohibited from owning a handgun. (I think it would be stupid for telling the police something like that, who knows if it is actually true.)

Thing is, he was flipping guns to make a profit. He wasn't being a robbin hood, and he wasn't being a political martyr. He got caught breaking the law. He knew the rules, and he broke them.

10. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm not big on the whole FFL thing personally, but outright selling a firearm to someone you know shouldn't have one ... yeah, that's not good for anyone.