• ...and so much more!
  • SA-XD40

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Thought i would share this one.

GI isn't facing charges in death

By Graeme Zielinski - Express-News
    The shooting death of a 28-year-old man Tuesday afternoon at a Northwest Side apartment complex by a California-based soldier on leave to visit his family appears to be justified, authorities said Wednesday as new details emerged about the incident.
    According to a police report and a police spokesman, Joe Rios, the slain man, Rocky Bernal, appeared to have been casing the back porch of the soldier's mother's apartment in the Vista Meadows complex in the 1100 block of Callaghan when a confrontation occurred between the two men.
    The name of the soldier, who is in his early 20s, was removed from a police report provided to the San Antonio Express-News because he was not being charged in the killing, Rios said.
    “He has been very cooperative,” Rios said.
    He said that, according to witnesses, Bernal had a history of break-ins at the complex. On Tuesday, barely an hour after the death, Police Chief William McManus said it was believed that the victim belonged to a gang.
    After the confrontation, Rios said, the soldier tried to return to his mother's apartment and Bernal continued to advance on him.
    “According to witnesses, the (soldier) said several times for (Bernal) to stop coming at him,” Rios said.
    According to the police report, Bernal was shot six times after it appeared that he was reaching into his waistband for a weapon, leading the soldier to fear for his safety. The soldier had a permit to carry the Glock .40-caliber handgun he used in the shooting, Rios said.
    After the shooting, the soldier asked a witness to call police and waited at the front gate of the complex for them.
    According to an Army spokesman, the soldier is assigned to the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, based at Fort Irwin, Calif.
    Hurley's Gold

MiTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Austin
    Sounds like the soldier did all the right things to protect himself both before and after the shooting. Glad to hear he is not going to face charges.

Old Man of the Mountain

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Why do we have all our troops spread out all over the world while we are being invaded right here in our Homeland, and all our large cities are War Zones?

Who made the decision not to defend our Homeland, and why?

P.S. Soldiers who have seen how well 9 mm pistols work in combat usually do not choose to use a 9 mm for personal defense, and neither do most Police Officers!​

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    P.S. Soldiers who have seen how well 9 mm pistols work in combat usually do not choose to use a 9 mm for personal defense, and neither do most Police Officers!​

From a Soldier who has used a 9mm in combat, the issue is not the caliber, but the fact that we are limited to ball ammo. I own a variety of handgun calibers, and carry a 9mm most of the time....

Old Man of the Mountain

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    American prisons are full of professional criminals with multiple 9mm scars which they can point to and laugh about.

A lot of those scars are from Police shootings, and they are not using ball.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I've never heard of anyone having problems with their 9mm in combat (mostly because, really? you're kinda in a bad spot if you're using your 9mm). But as a matter of fact there's a medic in Ft. Hood who has a silver star because while he was was working on a patient insurgents kept on popping out around a corner and he kept on killing them with his 9mm Beretta, he saved the soldier and left a few enemy bodies at the same time.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    American prisons are full of professional criminals with multiple 9mm scars which they can point to and laugh about.

I carry a .45, so I really don't have anything invested in defending 9mm. But, this statement looks a bit silly. Where can you point us for the facts to support it?

9mm is deadly. If somebody had multiple 9mm scars, I am guessing they are on their arms and legs........and I would venture to say that there really are not that many people running around with all those 9mm scars (certainly not prisons full).

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring

Again, been there, done that, got a few of the T-Shirts, and I will agree to disagree with you until you can provide me with facts to conflict with my real world experience.....

Old Man of the Mountain

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Thanks for that bit of insight.

It is my understanding that shot placement overtakes caliber size.

Any caliber can be deadly, even a .22 Short.

But I believe, as you increase the caliber, you increase your odds!

As you can see in this example (today, the video might be gone by tomorrow) the thugs, probably armed with 9 mm, shot four victims at close range, and did manage to kill one, an 18 year old girl, the other three victims might survive. This could have all turned out very differently if the thugs had attempted to murder Armed Citizens. There was no robbery attempt, just simple murder, as there have been many such instances in this area.

Video On Demand | WFAA.com

Top Bottom