• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think it does but, can a person use it as an "all purpose" semi auto?

That depends on how you determine "all purpose".

Given the option of one handgun I think most will choose a gun that is much more useful in one or two areas they think it will be used most, or consider most important.

If they think hunting is the most important, they may pick a large powerful gun that may be a pain to CC, but still possible.

Or if they do a lot of competition shooting they may choose a race gun in 9mm and stick to smaller game.

I figure most would still choose a gun that does one thing pretty well and sucks at a couple things instead of one that is mediocre at everything.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    .. Can't play golf with one club..

au contraire - I've played in a number of "one club golf tournaments"

but, I'm of the opinion that there is no 1 pistol that will cover every duty the OP'r has outlined

Glock 19 can do most but it's not a "hunter"

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    A Glock 19 will fill the bill. I'm pretty sure it will take down Whitetail deer, although I would never use a pistol as my primary hunting weapon, it does cover all the other areas pretty well.

Ny700

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    I think if a person was truly concerned with defensive carry but wanted to have an all around fire arm that can do it all. It's going to be a larger firearm and the needed changes to support that larger firearm for carry would need to be done. I.e. Top quality belts and holsters or CCW type bags and packs and the added weight would be the sacrifice. My biggest issue with compacts and subcompact pistols is most people don't fire them because they are simply not enjoyable to shoot. To me if it is the fire arm on your side or that you would reach for in stress it's not about having put 500 rounds through it or 1K. I want to have put 5k or 10k meaning ful rounds through it. For me right now that is with out doubt the CZ SP-01 tactical. Huge round capacity night sights arguably the best ergos out there on a stock pistol. No recoil nearly no muzzle rise. If you haven't shot a steel frame CZ you have cheated your self. If you want to save weight get the P01 compact there are steel and allow versions. If you like the SIG line it's very similar but with a much better bore axis so it handles significantly better and it 25% less expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trigger643

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2014
    Kingwood
    A good all around pistol? X-5 Allround, of course...

DSCN0262_zpse263e06b.jpg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...if you had to choose one, and ONLY ONE, semi automatic for everything, what would it be? A pistol that can be used for home and self defense. ...concealed for every day...hiking...hunting...range gun, a truck gun and a competition gun. ...a plinkin' gun.
    If the law allowed me to own only one handgun (i.e., one frame), period, the selection would depend on accessories that enable it to be used for more tasks. That frame would be re-configured as needed.

Start with a 1911.

Get conversions for every reasonable centerfire caliber - 9mm and .45 ACP at minimum.

Get conversions for unreasonable centerfire calibers, too, like .22 TCM, the 9-by-whatevers, and some of the low-volume big-bore thumpers.

Get one or more conversions for .22 LR. There are several makers. I have a Marvel on order, which is pretty common for competition (See: Marvel Precision 1911 .22 rimfire Conversions ), but you may prefer another maker.

Get a centerfire rifle cartridge conversion kit. I think a .308 is probably enough but you can add .223, .243, and any others you can find. Shooting a 1911 chambered in .308 Winchester is a funky experience but it will enable you to hunt anything in North America if you're able to get close enough and don't miss. The Dominators were the most common conversion kits but, again, there were other makers. For example, Springfield Armory made their version, called the SASS, in .22LR, .223, 7-08, 7BR, .357 Magnum, .308, and .44 Magnum. In fact, you just missed a Dominator on Gunbroker: Pachmayr Dominator .308 Conversion Kit for M1911 : 1911 Parts at GunBroker.com

If the law ever changed so that we could legally own only a single handgun, I feel pretty sure the Dominator design would go back into production and deluxe, comes-in-a-giant-box 1911 kits with all the conversions and accessories would become popular. Absent that, getting all these conversions to work well on the same frame means you need to be either very lucky or the close friend of a good 'smith. It can be done; I just think it would be a pile of nitpicky problems. I can't imagine bothering unless the law forced me to.

Two postscripts -

1. I hope I never have to choose just one handgun.
    2. If you drop the "hunting" criteria, many more options become viable.

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Easy, a Springfield XD/XDM in .45 ACP.

Now the tough choice would be which Springfield XD/XDM in .45 ACP!

I probably would stick with the original, my XD-45 Service which has been flawless with several thousand rounds down the pipe and is the most naturally-shooting pistol I own. It's literally a "point-and-shoot" handgun to me, almost to the point that aiming thru the sights isn't even necessary.

But I would hate to be limited to only one pistol!

Cheers! M2

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    If I had to choose just one for everything it would have to be a 1911 platform with conversions to choose from, like Ben said.

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    I think this question is easier answered with a revolver.
    S&W 4" 586/686 .357 mag, 6 or 7 shot

-proven SD round
    -plink w/ .38s
    -capable of taking any North American game
    -hard cast wadcutters good for bear attacks
    -4" L frame very concealable with proper holster and belt
    -Popular IDPA revolver

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think this question is easier answered with a revolver.
    S&W 4" 586/686 .357 mag, 6 or 7 shot

-proven SD round
    -plink w/ .38s
    -capable of taking any North American game
    -hard cast wadcutters good for bear attacks
    -4" L frame very concealable with proper holster and belt
    -Popular IDPA revolver

You don't get to change the rules. Now choke yourself.

Top Bottom