• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    If you can have only one gun, what would it be. Now let me lay out the rules. You have to pick one and one only and make your argument and it is subject to pass or fail by the rest of us. I am talking about one gun that will do it all and last forever and have ammo to last. It has to last beyond SHTF,TEOTWAWKI, Everything you can think of.

I'll start off.

.22 single shot bolt action. No magazine to loose or repair and ammo is common as dirt. You can use it to gather food and self defense in the right mode.Doesn't make a lot of noise, so it would be hard to pinpoint location, not much muzzle flash at night,easy to carry and accurate.
    My .02 cents worth.

Now dont start with an AR-15 and 10k rounds, because you cant carry that much ammo with you,HAHA

Lets hear from you!
    Target Sports

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    This is a hard one but,

I think I would have to go with a 357 magnum with a 6" barrel. I can hunt with it, self defense, and take out snakes such with snake shot.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Anything, because if I've got one gun, I have the means to get another.

Might as well just give me a "Liberator" pistol like they built in WWII. If what I have isn't good enough, I plan on trading up. ;)

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'd probably stick with a bolt action Springfield 1903A3 with a bayonet. Iron sights.

Mall ninjas and the government will shoot up all the tactical loads, but .30-06 will be more commonly found all over Texas. It's a heavy round, but I can take anything in North America provided I had to leave Texas, or even shoot a cow with it.

The bayonet has more applicable usages.

Bows and arrows, polearms, traps, etc. aren't hard to make and have worked for thousands of years before the invention of gunpowder as well.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Give me my AR, and if I'm allowed under the 'rules' a .22 conversion bolt for it. If not, still give me the AR. Great for CQC, accurate enough to reach out and touch a BD or game at 200 yards, but still could be used on rabbit sized game. More capacity than any hand gun or shot gun, and much quicker to reload than shot guns. Also ARs very easy to maintain, they can be cleaned and lubed with diesel fuel, and a simple field parts kit that will fit into the forward grip handle compartment would keep it going for quite awhile.

But I'd need to think hard about a 12 ga dispite some of the shortcomings, especially if I could pack several barrels. T

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Shotgun is an excellent choice. How many barrels do you need?

I would want two. A short barrel slug barrel with iron sights, non rifled so I could also shoot buck shot. And a 28" Mod choke or one with interchangeable chokes. (just happen to have the combo )

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Give me my AR, and if I'm allowed under the 'rules' a .22 conversion bolt for it. If not, still give me the AR. Great for CQC, accurate enough to reach out and touch a BD or game at 200 yards, but still could be used on rabbit sized game. More capacity than any hand gun or shot gun, and much quicker to reload than shot guns. Also ARs very easy to maintain, they can be cleaned and lubed with diesel fuel, and a simple field parts kit that will fit into the forward grip handle compartment would keep it going for quite awhile.

The problem with the AR is the semi auto action requires too many wear parts, namely springs.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The problem with the AR is the semi auto action requires too many wear parts, namely springs.

See what I said. Field repair kit fits into the handles. I could put two or three repair kits in there which would include firing pints and other pins. Many thousands of rounds, and no special tools to fix in the field.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    Why would you choose something that has to have constant maintenance and may break down? Anything can but be cleaned and lubed with deisel. My original question was very simple and I asked it for a simple reason.
    Go to a very basic mindset and think about what you need and what will work in a long term situation. It is not that hard. Hell, a good slingshot will feed you if you are good enough with it.

Osceola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    I'll take a New England Firearms 223 single shot with a extra barrel in 12 gauge.As long as the military uses these calibers they will be around.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    AR's don't constantly need to be maintained. They will go thousands of rounds with only a little lub of any sort, even water. There is no one perfect option. so you've got to make some trade offs. But given the situation, I'll still take the AR. Simple design, very loose tolerances (you can through a cat one) easy to maintain and works for many applications. I think much better than any hand gun you can come up with unless toting it around is an issue. I'll take the shot gun as a close alternate, although it has way less capacity and I think it would actually be harder to maintain in harsh field conditions.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Why would you choose something that has to have constant maintenance and may break down? Anything can but be cleaned and lubed with deisel. My original question was very simple and I asked it for a simple reason.
    Go to a very basic mindset and think about what you need and what will work in a long term situation. It is not that hard. Hell, a good slingshot will feed you if you are good enough with it.

Sorry Cowboy, but I think he answered just as you asked. It was an honest answer, and as you instructed, he didn't say anything about carrying thousands of rounds around with him.

Your OP sounded like you were interested in peoples responses, but now I question if you accept those that are not in line with your own.

In reality, a person would not need that many rounds if they were already proficient with the weapon. You only need to kill for food every couple or few days (maybe even once a week), depending on your quarry. Plus, you would not want your diet to consist only of meat, you still need fruits & veggies. In a defense situation, you'd be long dead before getting off the 20,000 rounds that some people are trying to stockpile right now. Hopefully, a person would be smart enough to begin raising/domesticating animals so they didn't have to go out & hunt for meat. They would want a garden/farm too.

If you want to look way past everything, you'd want to do what our ancestors did.........raise their food, create villages, gain strength in numbers, and achieve an advanced society. It's already been done, we have benefit of knowing our history, and the advantage of knowing what can be easily created.

Top Bottom