One more reason to love Texas.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by M. Sage, Jun 30, 2009.

1. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Sobriety checkpoints are apparently illegal here. Never ran into one in California, but they sure loved to run them back there, and are apparently branching out into running checkpoints simply to check license and registration.

Sobriety checkpoints

2. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Ya, but they're done here, they're just labeled differently....

There is a widespread initiative on the water to do check points on Texas lakes. It's been talked about and announce by some LEA's including TPWL but hasn't seemed to have been as big as said. Supposedly, this weekend is their Mardi Gras.

3. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    "TPWL"?

They really are done here? That might be a good opportunity to have some fun with my little MP3 player's voice recorder capability. :devil:

I'm kind of disappointed that the do 'em here, though.

4. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Ooop's wrong acronym but it's Texas Parks and Wildlife.

5. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    There was a bill introduced.....I have not learned if it passed. If it did, the checkpoints would be heavily restricted.

6. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    OK, I got this covered!
    Osiffer I am not rinking and wiving, I was drunk when I got on this dam train!

7. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Isn't there a rule, or scotus ruling, that says you can only check 1 out of every 10? Not that the law would, or could, really be enforced.

8. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Not that I know of. The only Scotus ruling I know of says that they must give you a chance to avoid a DUI checkpoint. Interestingly, the court also stated in the ruling that DUI checkpoints are a violation of our rights, but that they were willing to suspend our rights in this one instance because drunk driving is bad, mmkay? :hammerhead:

9. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Rules and Laws are for the little people.

10. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Especially back in CA.

Someone I know, when he was getting ready to deploy, got stopped and detained at a checkpoint in CA... on his way home from the base, in his ACUs. He was pretty unhappy with his treatment, especially since he was about on his last nerve and hadn't been drinking; he didn't enjoy having his time off wasted like that. So he went home and changed and went through the checkpoint half a dozen more times, to waste the cops' time. They weren't terribly amused, which made him feel a lot better. :devil: