• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    One of the oldest retail gun shops in the United States, if not actually the oldest, John Jovino Gun Shop, established in downtown New York City in 1911, has fired its last shot and permanently closed due to the economically crushing effects COVID-19 related restrictions (or in other words due to government overstepping the bounds of the Constitution). This place was an icon for shooters in NYC, a shining gem in the middle of a filthy sewer but the constant flow of shit eventually wiped them out. More here: https://www.boweryboogie.com/2020/0...AqducvlAMPjFj37O6vIGYcGQSdYAYj8XZPUWKTmq07J6c
    Lynx Defense

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    If they wanted to stay in business, there’s plenty of places they could’ve moved to.

Agree 100 %. But then again maybe they were not only mentally ready to retire, but physically as well. But I hate to hear that they folded their tent.

What I really can’t grasp are these gun companies that hold on to their roots in anti gun states. I will Not buy any new guns from such a state. I won’t support a state that wants to take away my rights. Now used guns are a different animal for obvious reasons.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    If they wanted to stay in business, there’s plenty of places they could’ve moved to.

Besides having been shut down by emperor Cuomo, their suppliers were not supplying them as per the article. They evidently were not suffering before the lockdown (they thrived for 109 years before that) but only due to it and had almost no or zero income during at least part of it. Somehow though, you know they could have just up and moved elsewhere in the middle of the lockdown and that would have kept them in business. Even if they could have afforded a move and if they could find a suitable location in which to reestablish the business, would they then be able to secure guns and ammo to stock their shelves, and be able to build a new customer base in time to keep afloat?

They were a blessing for NYC gun owners. Bear in mind, the business was run successfully in essentially the same location for 109 years. So why would they want to move before the COVID-19 lockdown and please explain to me how they could have successfully done so during it.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    What I really can’t grasp are these gun companies that hold on to their roots in anti gun states. I will Not buy any new guns from such a state. I won’t support a state that wants to take away my rights. Now used guns are a different animal for obvious reasons.
    So a gun store or gun company in an anti-gun state is not something you would support. Thank goodness for them though because they supported and were/are supported by the gun owners living in such states. Then again, by your logic, I guess we should just forget about and not support them too, those gun owners in restrictive states who keep up the good fight to support the RKBA.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I suspect the internet had more to do with their closing than the beer bug.
    I figure Longacres in Abilene won't last long either. No telling how old that business is, but, they ain't online either.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    So a gun store or gun company in an anti-gun state is not something you would support. Thank goodness for them though because they supported and were/are supported by the gun owners living in such states. Then again, by your logic, I guess we should just forget about and not support them too, those gun owners in restrictive states who keep up the good fight to support the RKBA.
    When did you last purchase a gun from John Jovino Gun Shop?

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    When did you last purchase a gun from John Jovino Gun Shop?
    I have made purchases there but then again, none of your business when or what. I also make purchases from Hessney Auction Co which is also in an anti-gun state - NY; I also buy Remington products, also in NY; I also make purchases from the Long Island Gun Club - in NY; I also purchase from Target Sports USA - also in an antigun state - CT. I support businesses in antigun states.

Last edited:

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX

Sorry my logic doesn’t line up with yours Glenn. From a business owners standpoint; if I ran a business in a state or city that was trying to put me out of business as well as trample on the constitution, which affects all citizens in all of the other states, it makes no sense to stay and reward them with tax money.
    As a citizen In another state that is affected by that anti gun state, why should I support a business in said state that will feed them addition tax money so that the state can further trample on my rights from a thousand miles away?

Reminds me of the story of the frog and the scorpion.

Last edited:

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Agree 100 %. But then again maybe they were not only mentally ready to retire, but physically as well. But I hate to hear that they folded their tent.

Beretta did not put up with that for long when they were in MD so they moved out of there and went to TN which is much more friendlier towards their business.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Well, I guess you showed me, huh?

Keep on tracking NY going ons while saying you're glad to be out of there, I'm not affected one way or the other . . .
    As for being glad to be out of there and being happy about my new freer life; yes I am. I moved out of NY primarily because I separated from my wife and wanted to live away from her and near to my son who is in AR. My son and I live close enough to one another to visit one another and not that close as for me to be a constant pain in his arse.

My reasons for getting out of NY though are not reasons for me not to celebrate and be happy about new found freer places to live such as living in TX. Nor are the reasons I left NY cause for me to not celebrate being free of the yoke of tyranny in NY. While I do rejoice having left that libturd dominion, I am at the same time still supporting the cause there in my little way from afar. I am a life member of and donate to the NYS Rifle & Pistol Association and a donating member of the Long Island Gun Club. As I said, I buy products from gun companies/stores in restrictive states, including NY. That is not to support the states but to do my little part to help support the businesses therein that stand for our RKBA.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Sorry my logic doesn’t line up with yours Glenn. From a business owners standpoint; if I ran a business in a state or city that was trying to put me out of business as well as trample on the constitutional, which affects all citizens in all of the other states, it makes no sense to stay and reward them with tax money.
    As a citizen In another state that is affected by that anti gun state, why should I support a business in said state that will feed them addition tax money so that the state can further trample on my rights from a thousand miles away?

Reminds me of the story of the frog and the scorpion.
    No need to be sorry, you think your way and I will think my way - disagreement and cordial discussion on the disagreement is a good thing.

Back to the point: So, it makes no sense, for a business owner, to try and keep up the fight to support the RKBA in such a state - is that correct? I guss they should all just close shop and surrender.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Case in point.
    Are you kidding - case in point! Beretta is a multi-national company with millions if not billions in assets. The mom & pop gun store that went out of business is a totally different animal. Then again, Beretta moved out due to tax issues and gun control issues and was not going out of business due to COVID-19 restrictions as was John Jovino Gun Shop. The owner of Jovino would have to sell hs business, his home, move his family, probably leave other family behind while on the other hand - Beretta did not give a crap about any of that. Sure Jovino could have pulled out years ago and left NY'ers with one less source for firearms but they chose to remain in business there and thus remained a source for the gun owners in NY. Funny thing is Beretta moved out but it still supplies NY gun stores with firearms. Case in point indeed, they still make their money off of NY and pay taxes to NY.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I would bet that the NY police department doing their own firearm purchases outside of this gun store really hurt their business which at one time was quite large. Funny thing is that as a kid I lived near Little Italy and never heard of this place and as a kid I was always interested in guns.
    Just as the internet has killed many businesses (look at JC Pennys and Sears), Jovino might have been in the same boat. Not everyone makes it and from what I hear the margin on firearms is very slim. A gunstore in my city has opened and closed twice, in better times than now.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Keep on tracking NY going ons while saying you're glad to be out of there, I'm not affected one way or the other . . .
    By the way, I posted something about one of the oldest guns shops in the USA closing, so what if it was in NY? I would have posted a thread on the closing of one of America's oldest gun shops even had it been in El Paso, Bangor, Tucson or Kalamazoo, had I read about it. Did you miss that when you told me to "...keep on tracking NY going ons..."? Anyway, it most assuredly does affect us all because, whether we/you realize it or not, it was one more bastion of the RKBA that has been destroyed by the left.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Besides having been shut down by emperor Cuomo, their suppliers were not supplying them as per the article. They evidently were not suffering before the lockdown (they thrived for 109 years before that) but only due to it and had almost no or zero income during at least part of it...
    Other than assuming facts not in evidence re: not suffering before lockdown, the fundamental choice every business owner has to make is whether or not to stay in business.

When faced with an increased regulatory burden, there’s only a few ways out of that. The big choice is whether to continue doing business given the new burdens.

For example, my employer made the decision about 18 months ago to sell off an $82B line of business due to increased regulatory burden at both the federal and NY state level because the risk was no longer worth the reward.

What I think is more telling the lack of any internet/social media presence at all and Google/Yelp ratings of 2.5/1.9, respectively. It appears the current owner’s problems are more than just inventory.

Last edited:

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    No need to be sorry, you think your way and I will think my way - disagreement and cordial discussion on the disagreement is a good thing.

Back to the point: So, it makes no sense, for a business owner, to try and keep up the fight to support the RKBA in such a state - is that correct? I guss they should all just close shop and surrender.

I’m not saying surrender at all. Supporting the RKBA doesn’t mean you have to manufacture or retail there. They can support RKBA as you do with NYS R&P association as well as other groups. I just can’t see feeding a monster that wants to squash you while contaminating the rest of the country.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom