Join TexasGunTalk

One Of The Oldest Gun Shops In America - Out Of Business

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Glenn B, May 20, 2020.

1. Glenn B

Glenn B Well-Known TGT Supporter

Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana Area
    One of the oldest retail gun shops in the United States, if not actually the oldest, John Jovino Gun Shop, established in downtown New York City in 1911, has fired its last shot and permanently closed due to the economically crushing effects COVID-19 related restrictions (or in other words due to government overstepping the bounds of the Constitution). This place was an icon for shooters in NYC, a shining gem in the middle of a filthy sewer but the constant flow of shit eventually wiped them out. More here: https://www.boweryboogie.com/2020/0...AqducvlAMPjFj37O6vIGYcGQSdYAYj8XZPUWKTmq07J6c

Southpaw and Reinz like this.
  2. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    If they wanted to stay in business, there’s plenty of places they could’ve moved to.

3. Reinz

Reinz Well-Known

Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Agree 100 %. But then again maybe they were not only mentally ready to retire, but physically as well. But I hate to hear that they folded their tent.

What I really can’t grasp are these gun companies that hold on to their roots in anti gun states. I will Not buy any new guns from such a state. I won’t support a state that wants to take away my rights. Now used guns are a different animal for obvious reasons.

seeker_two, Axxe55 and toddnjoyce like this.
  4. Glenn B

Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana Area
    Besides having been shut down by emperor Cuomo, their suppliers were not supplying them as per the article. They evidently were not suffering before the lockdown (they thrived for 109 years before that) but only due to it and had almost no or zero income during at least part of it. Somehow though, you know they could have just up and moved elsewhere in the middle of the lockdown and that would have kept them in business. Even if they could have afforded a move and if they could find a suitable location in which to reestablish the business, would they then be able to secure guns and ammo to stock their shelves, and be able to build a new customer base in time to keep afloat?

They were a blessing for NYC gun owners. Bear in mind, the business was run successfully in essentially the same location for 109 years. So why would they want to move before the COVID-19 lockdown and please explain to me how they could have successfully done so during it.

5. Glenn B

Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana Area
    So a gun store or gun company in an anti-gun state is not something you would support. Thank goodness for them though because they supported and were/are supported by the gun owners living in such states. Then again, by your logic, I guess we should just forget about and not support them too, those gun owners in restrictive states who keep up the good fight to support the RKBA.

6. Vaquero

Vaquero San Saba Songbird

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    I suspect the internet had more to do with their closing than the beer bug.
    I figure Longacres in Abilene won't last long either. No telling how old that business is, but, they ain't online either.

TxStetson and toddnjoyce like this.
  7. Coiled

Coiled TGT Addict

Nov 25, 2016
    SE Tx
    When did you last purchase a gun from John Jovino Gun Shop?

8. Glenn B

Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana Area
    I have made purchases there but then again, none of your business when or what. I also make purchases from Hessney Auction Co which is also in an anti-gun state - NY; I also buy Remington products, also in NY; I also make purchases from the Long Island Gun Club - in NY; I also purchase from Target Sports USA - also in an antigun state - CT. I support businesses in antigun states.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  9. Coiled

Coiled TGT Addict

Nov 25, 2016
    SE Tx
    Well, I guess you showed me, huh?

Keep on tracking NY going ons while saying you're glad to be out of there, I'm not affected one way or the other . . .

toddnjoyce and Big Green like this.
  10. Reinz

Reinz Well-Known

Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Sorry my logic doesn’t line up with yours Glenn. From a business owners standpoint; if I ran a business in a state or city that was trying to put me out of business as well as trample on the constitution, which affects all citizens in all of the other states, it makes no sense to stay and reward them with tax money.
    As a citizen In another state that is affected by that anti gun state, why should I support a business in said state that will feed them addition tax money so that the state can further trample on my rights from a thousand miles away?

Reminds me of the story of the frog and the scorpion.

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 6:07 AM
    roadrunner, Axxe55 and toddnjoyce like this.