• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Are you kidding - case in point! Beretta is a multi-national company with millions if not billions in assets. The mom & pop gun store that went out of business is a totally different animal. Then again, Beretta moved out due to tax issues and gun control issues and was not going out of business due to COVID-19 restrictions as was John Jovino Gun Shop. The owner of Jovino would have to sell hs business, his home, move his family, probably leave other family behind while on the other hand - Beretta did not give a crap about any of that. Sure Jovino could have pulled out years ago and left NY'ers with one less source for firearms but they chose to remain in business there and thus remained a source for the gun owners in NY. Funny thing is Beretta moved out but it still supplies NY gun stores with firearms. Case in point indeed, they still make their money off of NY and pay taxes to NY.

You seem to be going off in all directions, Mom and Pop, Covid, Beretta Selling to NY. Or maybe I’m just tired.

I empathize with Mom and Pop and stated in post #3.

Covid is affecting everyone.

Berreta is in business, of course they are selling to NY as long it is profitable and restrictions are manageable.

The only issue I brought up was me not buying New guns from an anti gun state.

I’ve always lived in this free state. Maybe if my roots were in Yankeeland I could see things through your eyes.

95% of my family moved to California many years ago. I refused to go based on my views of freedom. I was passed over on many promotions because I let it be known to management that I would not work at headquarters in NYC and live in that area. Freedom is/was worth more important to me than money. Peers could not believe that I actually turned down working at a coveted Headquarters position. I guess I’m just weird. Quality of life has it’s price.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Bet if you live in NYC finding an FFL must be tough.
    Happy you said that; had me go to check on the website of the Westside Rifle & Pistol Range (I think the only range open to the public in Manhattan), to see if they still offered FFL services and yes they still do so. There are a very few FFLs in NYC who do transfers. These guys have always been happy to help. Of course, just east of the city in Nassau County is another story; there is a good number of FFLs there.

While on the Westside Rifle & Pistol Range site, I saw they were asking for donations to help keep them afloat. I made a donation. They helped me out on very short notice when I needed my LEOSA firearms qualification certification the day before one of my moving trip last year after my scheduled qualification fell through. what they did was they held a LEOSA qualification just for me - how excellent! I also used to be a member there but not for a several years before that back when I still worked inn the city. Great outfit, all nice folks, deserving of a helping hand, I think, now that they are in need.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    You seem to be going off in all directions, Mom and Pop, Covid, Beretta Selling to NY. Or maybe I’m just tired.

I empathize with Mom and Pop and stated in post #3.

Covid is affecting everyone.

Berreta is in business, of course they are selling to NY as long it is profitable and restrictions are manageable.
    I seem to be going in all directions!!! Who replied "case in point" when another poster said Beretta moved its business - that was you. Now you seemingly fault me for replying to the statement about Beretta. Who just said he empathized with mom & pop - you said you did so in post three - but now I am going in all directions! You say I am going in all directions for mentioning COVID-19, did you read the linked article? It evidently blames the COVID-19 lockdown effects for the failure.

Are you kidding me - you fault me but yet it's okay for you to go there!

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    When I was stationed in NY (Hudson Valley) I had dealt with a local gunsmith who was a pretty nice guy, mid 60’s. Worked out of his garage and had a DTOM flag out front to let you know he was open.

When the SAFE Act passed he sold his house and moved to PA to continue his line of work. That man was dedicated to his passion and his beliefs.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    I seem to be going in all directions!!! Who replied "case in point" when another poster said Beretta moved its business - that was you. Now you seemingly fault me for replying to the statement about Beretta. Who just said he empathized with mom & pop - you said you did so in post three - but now I am going in all directions! You say I am going in all directions for mentioning COVID-19, did you read the linked article? It evidently blames the COVID-19 lockdown effects for the failure.

Are you kidding me - you fault me but yet it's okay for you to go there!

I just addressed what you brought up. I will admit I was too fast at the “case in point” I responded in an out of context way. I should have thought before speaking.

No I did not read the Covid article. I’ve been up since midnight and I’m sick to death about reading every single thing that pops up about Covid.

Don’t know why you think I’m going off track about “empathizing”, I was responding to your comment about Mom and Pop that you brought up.

I conceded to two things. You win. I’m tired, going to walk away. But I’m still not buying new guns from the Northeast or California.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    When I was stationed in NY (Hudson Valley) I had dealt with a local gunsmith who was a pretty nice guy, mid 60’s. Worked out of his garage and had a DTOM flag out front to let you know he was open.

When the SAFE Act passed he sold his house and moved to PA to continue his line of work. That man was dedicated to his passion and his beliefs.
    I do not doubt that he was dedicated to his beliefs but it seems he just was not dedicated as much to his customer base in NY nor to gun owners in general in NY or so it would seem. Not faulting him mind you - some folks just figured the so called SAFE Act made it impossible to remain in NY doing firearms business and said enough was enough and skedaddled. Some folks had the ability to pull up stakes and move on, others have different circumstances and ties and don't find it as easy or even possible. It's a real shame it is as bad as it is there or anywhere to make anyone want to get out; it is one of the most beautiful of all 50 states with a lot to offer. The bigger shame is that the Supremes have not ever come out in full support of "shall not be infringed" since it is right there in the 2nd! They could do so and virtually all gun laws in this country would crumble as unconstitutional.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX

Just as many gunsmiths have left California to Nevada and Arizona.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    But I’m still not buying new guns from the Northeast or California.
    Guns maybe you will not buy but you have recently bought ammo from a dealer in the NE that dealer located in an anti-gun state. Go figure!

Thanks Bozz, just ordered 6 boxes and DID get taxed.
    And please believe me, I see nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, I applaud it. Besides they have great deals and free shipping on cases or free shipping on all ammo if you join their Prime membership.

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agree 100 %. But then again maybe they were not only mentally ready to retire, but physically as well. But I hate to hear that they folded their tent.

What I really can’t grasp are these gun companies that hold on to their roots in anti gun states. I will Not buy any new guns from such a state. I won’t support a state that wants to take away my rights. Now used guns are a different animal for obvious reasons.
    Henry is still in NYC

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Guns maybe you will not buy but you have recently bought ammo from a dealer in the NE that dealer located in an anti-gun state. Go figure!

And please believe me, I see nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, I applaud it. Besides they have great deals and free shipping on cases or free shipping on all ammo if you join their Prime membership.

Ok, got some sleep.

Thanks for pointing that out Glenn. My policy has been in dealing with gun manufacturers only. Maybe I should extend that to all of my shopping. I will ruminate on it.

With my online shopping I don’t seek out where they are located. With the guns, I automatically know where they are from. I reckon I’ll pay more attention to location for other items from now on. If I’m going to stick with my principles I should have been more diligent.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Quite a few gun manufacturers have moved out of states that were rabidly anti-gun. Probably not feasible for a smaller company, or a mom and pop business, when they have long ties to their neighborhood and community. Also, that gun store was in business for many, many years. When they opened, I'm sure the gun laws were way different!

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Some of my online gun purchases are from northern states. If I can’t find it in Texas I’ll rescue it from the north. Hate for some yankee to buy it and decide they need to participate in a gun buy back.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Glenn, why do you support the NYSRPA? Do you realize that they are just a puppet of the NRA?
    I support the NRA too as well as GOA and SAF. Come to think of it, I also support this site and the LIGC too. I also support several gun and ammo makers (by buying their products) who support the NRA. If you don't want to support them that is fine by me but my choice is to support all those mentioned to one degree or another.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Some of my online gun purchases are from northern states. If I can’t find it in Texas I’ll rescue it from the north. Hate for some yankee to buy it and decide they need to participate in a gun buy back.
    Some folks I have known have gone to gun buy backs to try to buy guns. They don't usually sell anything at them. Then again I have heard of a couple or few folks who sold and or tried to sell old worthless clunkers for more than they were worth at gun buy backs and then used or planned to use the money toward newer and better firearms. One example: https://lagniappeslair.blogspot.com/2019/01/only-new-orleans-could-screw-up-gun-buy.html.

Me, I usually sell mine on GunBroker or at gun shows, even the rare clunkers in my collection; do not think I'd ever sell one at a buyback unless maybe it was my French pinfire that is falling apart and hiding around here somewhere. I certainly would attend a buyback if there was a chance I might pick up a decent gun, at a good price, at one.

Top Bottom