One-Shot Reload Drill by Criterion Tactical

Discussion in 'Articles & How-Tos' started by CriterionTactical, May 25, 2013.

1. CriterionTactical

CriterionTactical Member

Oct 12, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
  2. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Another good example of how it can be a good idea in training sometimes to break down the process in to a few separate steps, work on improving those steps individually, then put it all back together.

3. RstyShcklfrd

RstyShcklfrd TGT Addict

Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Looks like a good way to train and not waste thousands of rounds of ammo.

I'll try this the next time I'm at the range.

4. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known

Aug 4, 2009
    Midland, TX
    I do that every time I go to the range. Excellent use of range time.

Sent from the mind of a genius. Forrealz.

5. Rangel

Rangel Well-Known

Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    Yup just today I was loading two rounds in three mags. And practicing changing mags and engaging the target again. Did stationary, moving back and side to side. Then I placed two mags on my tailgate, about 75ft away. Engage target with two, drop empty mag,RUN to truck grab fresh mag, RUN back to shooting position, reload, engage. ETC...
    Fun drill.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Well-Known TGT Supporter

Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Was he using his slide release instead of racking back on the slide? I was always taught to rack it back because you shouldn't rely on fine motor skills in the heat of a fight...

... or am I missing something?

7. scap99

scap99 TGT Addict

Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I agree, but on the flip side, it's all in how you train.

8. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The fine motor skills argument has been thoroughly beat to death and is ultimately flawed. It's all in how you train. If you can pull a trigger, press a mag release button, you can operate a slide release lever. For those that aren't going to train much, true, racking a slide might be easier. Ultimately, it just is not that difficult, and one method offers decidedly faster performance (usually .5-1.0 seconds based on my measurements, and with students). Nothing wrong with racking a slide. One thing to consider is, in the same amount of time, you could potentially use the slide release lever and have an additional 1-3 rounds on target in the same amount of time it takes to the average person to rack the slide.

9. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Sig P226 SCT?

You're missing a lot.

Use the slide release. It's not any finer a motor skill than a good trigger pull, and it's faster than racking the slide.

10. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I agree 100%. I have used the slide release method and slide rack. I can do both in force on force situations using simunitions. Other students have as well.