One-Shot Reload Drill by Criterion Tactical

Discussion in 'Articles & How-Tos' started by CriterionTactical, May 25, 2013.

1. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Aw you make me blush. Just doing what I can

2. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    ^ And that's all you really have to do. Unfortunately it's easy for lots of people to get caught up in the idea of only being able to do certain things because of some outside influence. Whether it be stress "causing fine motor skills to decline" (misconception), or thinking a certain technique is going to spectacularly fail them to the point that they just drop dead (ridiculous), they let it prevent them from seeing what they are really capable of. Probably one of the best quotes of all time on a similar subject:

"Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" -Sun Tzu

3. preyn2

preyn2 Active Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    The only rationalizations for racking the slide I've heard have been:

(1) the technique will work with any gun (think: battlefield find and you're not familiar with that particular gun). I don't know that I truly agree with that simply because it seems awfully far-fetched. I've gotten in a gun fight, run my gun and all my reloads dry, still want to fight instead of run like hell, found a dead guy who still had his gun on him...but it's empty...but oh lucky day! he has spare ammo on him...but now I can't figure out how to drop the slide other than by racking the slide...yeah...what are the chances? Honestly. C'mon man...

(2) Instructors in Concealed Handgun Classes teaching (suggesting) the technique because they simply don't have time to teach each and every shooter how to operate their specific weapons on the range, given the variations in guns, hands, finger strength and length, etc. This seems much more plausible to me.

4. CriterionTactical

CriterionTactical Member

Oct 12, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Good rationalizations.......IF instructors are teaching techniques do to time or perhaps inability to provide relevant perspectives on different techniques then shame on them. These shooters will leave believing themselves "trained to the best level" and they are not. Professionals don't skimp....." fly by nighters " and shams are going to get people killed.

5. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    And that's an excellent point often missed. Some instructors stick to teaching racking the slide as a matter of uniformity (for the most part) and ease of instruction in a short period of time. Not necessarily because it is "the best" in every way. Paul Howe for example, from what I understand, is a big proponent of teaching the overhand rack. His reasoning is that he, again as far as I understand it, designs many of his classes to be as effective as possible if you "have to go to war tomorrow", or something to that effect. Basically, if a person can only take one class, and if they are going to potentially be in harms way not long afterwards (Mil/LE), keep it simple, give them something that will work and be easiest to pick up in the shortest amount of time. Although I may choose and teach a different way, and I personally teach a different type of student, it's hard to argue with that sort of logic.

I choose to go a different route and like to teach people a handful of different ways, slide release, overhand rack, slingshot and help them understand how to go about choosing what will work best for them.

6. Tuff

Tuff Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Weatherford, TX
    Instructors are like any other types of people, each do things for different reasons... you have Instructors out there teaching that have never did anything but shoot competitions, instructors that have had limited LE training, instructors that have had time behind a weapon in bad places...each will teach differently, its not a good or bad thing...each one will bring something to the table that is of value. What really gets me is a instructor that thinks his way of doing something is the ONLY way it should be taught, those are the instructors that cheat their students..

7. Dullandtasteless

Dullandtasteless Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Amarillo
    I slingshot for one simple reason... My freakishly short thumb can't reach most slide stops without a grip change. So now readjusting my grip twice has just lost me that .5-1 second advantage the slide stop method saves some people.

8. bluesboyk3

bluesboyk3 Member

Apr 6, 2012
    houston
    nice one !

9. Grog

Grog New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas
    This is a wise statement and applies to many things in life. Very often there are many ways to reach a destination, each with benefits and negatives. The 'correct' solution for one person or situation may not be the best choice elsewhere.

Knowing all of the options helps a person make a good decision relative to their conditions.

10. Tremors

Tremors Member

Oct 2, 2011
    San Antonio
    That's cool. Now I have to start carrying extra magazines.