Join TexasGunTalk

One-Shot Reload Drill by Criterion Tactical

Discussion in 'Articles & How-Tos' started by CriterionTactical, May 25, 2013.

1. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    On 5/26/13, Sig fiend said: 'With the dozens (probably over 100) of handguns I've shot over the years, and tens of thousands of rounds of ammo, I have never seen a slide release lever or notch in a slide that was worn out or rounded off in such a manner as to cause function problems of the gun."

I've got a gen 2 Glock 32 that sometimes releases the slide when I slap the new mag into the well - not a bad thing - or is it?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. pvtsnowball82

pvtsnowball82 Active Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    That is actually a design feature of Glocks and some other polymer guns. You're supposed to be able to insert a fresh mag in a certain way to release the slide as the mag catches. I have not been able to produce this result reliably, however.

3. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That sometimes occurs on some guns due to the inertia of slamming the mag in hard, and on polymer frame guns possibly due to a bit of frame flex. What I was speaking to in that quote is the claim that is sometimes made that using the slide release lever to drop the slide might eventually wear away the slide stop lever to where it no longer functions properly, or where the slide stop notch in the slide out to the point the slide no longer locks back. As far as that goes, to date I have never seen a single gun where this has occurred, and I feel that is somewhat of an urban myth.

4. MPA1988

MPA1988 Active Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Racking the slide is supposed to be a faster and more sure way of getting the support hand on the weapon. This way the support hand is right "there" just slide it into place while extending the arms if it is not doing other things like blocking, pushing, pulling, and etc. at the moment.

Keep in mind it is technique not a matter of strength.

5. MPA1988

MPA1988 Active Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Also, keep in mind that in a combat situation with your firearm, eject empty mag after last round has been chambered and insert new mag. Slide release is a non-issue.

6. Gunns0902

Gunns0902 Active Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Cradle of Liberty, TX
    Question, perhaps this will redirect the thread back to the one shot reload thing... I have been known to do some boneheaded things when I get moving on something...Hyper-focus...Kinda the Isaac Newton thing where he would walk away from the table, his companion would eat his food, when he returned he would not remember eating,but seeing the food gone would assume he must have. That describes me from time to time.

So, little story: I'm at the range, I am doing these very drills. But I decide I want to try 5 shots after a couple sets. What do I do, I fire one shot, my wife touches me from behind, and I do exactly what I just trained my hands to do...I drop a mag of 3 rounds on the table.

Now I may be comparing apples to oranges here, but wouldn't it be better to train with a random number of rounds (say 1-3 if you want to conserve ammo).I certainly don't want to do that in a fight.

Thoughts?

7. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Alas, the video is no longer available.