• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drjh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Dallas
    Did a forum search, and scanned a bunch of threads - found nothing on this, so thought I'd ask everybody:

Got a Gemtech suppressor for my 7.62, and had them install a lugged flash hider on my AR (.223) that would accommodate the suppressor (Gemtech says anything same and smaller calibre can safely fire thru it.

Was going to try the AR suppressed at the range, but the range officer said that since the Form 4 only had "7.62mm" on it, it would be "illegal" to use the suppressor on the .223.

Is this true?

Is there a section in the BATF regs that states a suppressor can/cannot be used on multiple compatible rifles (couldn't find one when I scanned Title 27)?

Thanks in advance.

JH

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Wtf?!
    He asked to see your stamp?

As I understand it, once a can is stamped it don't matter what you put it on.
    I have used my .308 can on my .308, .300blk, 5.56, and .22lr.

He's a range monkey, so take his advice for what you paid for it.

"Those who appease a tiger do so in hope that the tiger will eat them last."
    -Winston Churchill

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Tje stamp is for the can itself, doesnt matter what you put it on. Could be a bowers 50 can on a 22, doesnt matter. Tell him to pound sand.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I'm taking the stance that unless you show me some ATF credentials, you can get lost.
    Unless they are threatening to kick you out of the range, and you don't feel like forfeiting your range fee. They have ZERO obligation to enforce federal laws.
    If they rules posted at the range say you must show proof of stamp, and you agreed to their rules, that's a bit different.

drjh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Dallas
    Alpine Range, Mansfield, TX. It may be just that one range guy, since the others haven't been as picky when I've taken my .308 - they just glance at the paper and say "fine." None of them has asked to see my paperwork - I've just offered it as a courtesy. Maybe I should stop doing that??

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Alpine Range, Mansfield, TX. It may be just that one range guy, since the others haven't been as picky when I've taken my .308 - they just glance at the paper and say "fine." None of them has asked to see my paperwork - I've just offered it as a courtesy. Maybe I should stop doing that??

Yes, please.
    Lets not open a door we can't close.

"Those who appease a tiger do so in hope that the tiger will eat them last."
    -Winston Churchill

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Just put a call into them to find out whether or not this is their policy. Of course, I asked to speak to a manager or the owner and some lady comes on the line (believe it's the wife). I ask her and then explain why (my buddy told me he ran into this stuff) - she tells me she's going to check with their RSO to see what their policy is.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Okay, got the callback. Sherry (sp?) Smith talked to her husband (who I took to mean is the owner). Their policy "had been" to check the paperwork, but ATF apparently recently informed them that they were not responsible for making sure people were shooting legal firearms, so their current policy is that they are not checking them, but since this is new for them, not all of their RSOs have gotten the word yet.

Now, the way she said it, I took it to mean that she believes ATF changed their policy, but since it is through 3rd person, it could just be that they didn't know the rules and just found out from the ATF. Either way, they recently came up with a new policy and are supposedly not going to be checking paperwork.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Give some folks a little bit of authority and a bit of knowledge they decide to be tyrants.

"I'm a range officer" (authority) "Federal law requires paperwork for silencers"(knowledge) "I can compel folks to give me their federal paperwork" (tyranny)

These types are going to be the snitches and turncoats to our rights when the time comes.

PaknSiG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Ft. Worth area
    Used to go to Alpine with my .223 and 6.8 SPC and was never asked about any paper work and had suppressors for both. The 6.8 ( 30 Cal.)will work on the .223 but the .223 will not fit on the 6.8. You can use either one on a .22LR if you have an adapter for it.

TM

Top Bottom