• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    One thing I like to point out to anyone who is anti hunting but eats meat is that the animals in barnyards, pastures, or pens aren't exactly charging you, teeth bared, weapons at the ready, yelling "Sparta!!!!!" Deer on the lease have a lot more of a chance then they do, and at least a hunter gets his own meat and does not hire it done.
    ARJ Defense ad

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    Not to mention the animal has a chance at a natural life, and not penned in on a factory farm... hunting is more ethical and humane IMO.

photofreeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    I don't hunt. Been twice, not my cup of tea. Don't like killing live things. Get grossed out at the thought of gutting an animal. And I know this will upset some, but sitting in a blind waiting for the domesticated (by feeding) trained Deer to come for their free meal so you can shoot them is not hunting. Its closer to shooting the family dog.

That said if its your thing, I will stand with you and defend your right to hunt, in any manner. America needs hunters. Hunting game management is crucial to the Deer and other species population.

I don't have to like it, or be active in it. However as a gun owner and one that loves to shoot wild and nasty coke cans, I must fully support my fellow shooters rights. So know there are a lot of us out here. Were on your side, we just don't want to go hunting with you. I do enjoy the campfire and the stories.

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    I don't hunt. Been twice, not my cup of tea. Don't like killing live things. Get grossed out at the thought of gutting an animal. And I know this will upset some, but sitting in a blind waiting for the domesticated (by feeding) trained Deer to come for their free meal so you can shoot them is not hunting. Its closer to shooting the family dog.

That said if its your thing, I will stand with you and defend your right to hunt, in any manner. America needs hunters. Hunting game management is crucial to the Deer and other species population.

I don't have to like it, or be active in it. However as a gun owner and one that loves to shoot wild and nasty coke cans, I must fully support my fellow shooters rights. So know there are a lot of us out here. Were on your side, we just don't want to go hunting with you. I do enjoy the campfire and the stories.

Hey man, I used to be exactly where you are. I only gave it up and went to deer hunting cause I got cut too many times trying to gut those coke cans.

No, seriously, I appreciate your point of view, and it proves that we don't all have to believe in exactly the same use of a firearm, but we all believe that we have the right to use them in legal recreational or home defense purposes, whichever suits our particular tastes.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.

You may be pleased to know that a lot of hunters still hunt. We get out and stalk our prey. It's not a guaranteed kill, such as sitting in a blind, in front of a feeder. It requires skill, patience, and luck.

I do understand using a blind. Some people don't have the time to do it old school, but want meat for their freezer (that does not come from the grocery store).

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    My take on hunting and eating the kill is this:

Cows are bred for meat, fed for meat, and have exactly zero real quality of life yet we kill and eat them as if it was perfectly normal. Wild game animals live a wild and free life in open land for sometimes years prior to being taken as food...

Which seems more fair to the animal to you?

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com

Yeah, I'm kind of with you - never been hunting, not sure if I ever will, but I'm certainly not anti-hunting.

I understand the effects that a lack of large predators has on game animals but I can also understand why they're not tolerated ... something to do with that regular supply of beef, poultry, etc always on store shelves.

nitetrane98

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Nobody loves a nice venison backstrap steak more than I do. But to try to say hunting is all about putting food on the table just doesn't work for me anymore. In my case it's a luxury now. All the land in East Texas is now leased out with a few exceptions and I won't risk my life to hunt on the exceptions with some of the yahoos I've seen on IP land etc.
    What I'm trying to say is by the time you figure up your expenses for a day lease, your $700 dollar gun w/ $750 scope, ammo for practice, cammo gear, 4 wheeler, gas to get there etc etc etc, you can put a whole lot of the finest beef ever raised in that freezer.
    The hunt isn't about the kill so much anymore. I rarely go anymore and when I do I've been known to volunteer for the camp cooking. I find I look forward to the good single malt scotch and the campfire at night with good friends as much as anything else. Of course, I'm always happy to lend a hand skinning and butchering for that little package of venison.

djspump2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    I haven't ever hunted anything except paper and steel targets.

If you eat what you kill, then there is absolutely nothing wrong hunting. Granted, I would probably enjoy varmint hunting, so maybe I should rethink some things. I may not agree with some forms of hunting, but I will be damned if I will agree with the liberal scum on anything involving guns.

You guys are right about the quality of life of the animals we eat on a consistent basis. Nothing to that.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    A neighbor of mine trying to lecture me on th evils of hunting. This shut them up.

Best thing you can point out to an anti hunter is the fact that we are designed as predators. Meaning our eyes look forward to chase down prey. Our teeth are designed to eat meat as well.

Tell the gatherer to go fetch you up some berries & nuts as you think he is missing his.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The success rate of deer hunters on decent property in Texas is pretty high. That's because we have so many deer, very few predators and mild winters with lots to eat even without feeders. But unless you go to a managed ranch, or have a good lease that you spend a lot of out of season time scouting, you're not guaranteed a deer. There is a lot more that goes into to it than, on opening day, walking up to a blind next to a feeder and shooting a deer. Although you will get that on some of the managed ranches.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I will refuse to hunt on a high fence ranch. I will not do that. I have no problem siting on a feeder but if you up your chances by 12' wire you are cheating. Hogs are another story, they can tear anything up and get under or threw any fence. But I won't shoot them in a high fence either.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    petasux.jpg

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Got Meat? I haven't hunted in years, last hunt actually was dove with a double barrell SxS .410. I shot more than my brother and his friend with their 12 guages... and they laughed at me and my super squirrel killer in the beginning

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom