• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    The, 'this sounds to good to be true' online gun smithing courses are of course, to good to be true.

I know a few people who started. They never got anything out of it and it always turned out to be a scam.

If one of you sticks through it all and actually achieves a real certification, I, as well as everybody else would be interested, but I don't think we'll ever hear that story.

The online courses are scams. If you want your license, go to an accredited instructor.
    Gun Zone Deals

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    The, 'this sounds to good to be true' online gun smithing courses are of course, to good to be true.

I know a few people who started. They never got anything out of it and it always turned out to be a scam.

If one of you sticks through it all and actually achieves a real certification, I, as well as everybody else would be interested, but I don't think we'll ever hear that story.

The online courses are scams. If you want your license, go to an accredited instructor.

Try Penn Foster Career School before you go spreading rumors. Maybe the people you have talked to just haven't applied themselves. I've taken a few online business courses that I've received certificates for which have now been transfered to my local college for credits. I took online classes while I was deployed.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    For God's sake at least give him a chance before you crap all over his dreams.

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    I'm not trying to spread rumors. There is nothing wrong with online courses. My degree was finished online while I was in Iraq.

Just be careful what you get into. From what I have heard, most of the online 'gunsmithing' courses are scams. Part of why I believe that is I believe that it is very hard to learn a physical skill without first hand experience.

Like I said, If you know of an online gunsmithing course that has achieved something like the OP is asking about, let me know.

From your posts, it sounds like you, personally, have first hand experience with a master. That's a lot different than an online course. As always, YMMV.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I'm not trying to spread rumors. There is nothing wrong with online courses. My degree was finished online while I was in Iraq.

Just be careful what you get into. From what I have heard, most of the online 'gunsmithing' courses are scams. Part of why I believe that is I believe that it is very hard to learn a physical skill without first hand experience.

Like I said, If you know of an online gunsmithing course that has achieved something like the OP is asking about, let me know.

From your posts, it sounds like you, personally, have first hand experience with a master. That's a lot different than an online course. As always, YMMV.

I figured I would try the online course, I'm not a millionaire so there's no way I could afford to attend a gunsmith school, not to mention my job prevents me from traveling out of the area.

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    Good luck to you. Let us know how it goes. I think a lot of people would be interested in a quality gun smith school that is affordable and can be done from the convenience of our own homes.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Good luck to you. Let us know how it goes. I think a lot of people would be interested in a quality gun smith school that is affordable and can be done from the convenience of our own homes.

Thanks,

I'll keep this updated as the class gets started. They're supposed to send out all of my books, and then send out parts for each lesson so hopefully that happens within the next couple of weeks cause I'm anxious to get started.

It helps having a master gunsmith at my unit that can help me out if need be. I feel pretty comfortable with the class, I've done some simple repairs but nothing major on personal weapons, however I have done some major repairs on military weapons so that will help out with this class I'm sure.

I will also post some photos when I start receiving materials.

Bill

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Thanks,

I'll keep this updated as the class gets started. They're supposed to send out all of my books, and then send out parts for each lesson so hopefully that happens within the next couple of weeks cause I'm anxious to get started.

It helps having a master gunsmith at my unit that can help me out if need be. I feel pretty comfortable with the class, I've done some simple repairs but nothing major on personal weapons, however I have done some major repairs on military weapons so that will help out with this class I'm sure.

I will also post some photos when I start receiving materials.

Bill

That's great. I'd like to read your review on this school as well. I'm interested in doing the same thing.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    That's great. I'd like to read your review on this school as well. I'm interested in doing the same thing.

I will be posting updates as the class goes along. I have a year to complete the course, which will be interrupted by 2 weeks of annual training for the National Guard, but other than that I will be able to stay on top of the course. From what I've heard and read about on the course its going to be pretty interesting, hopefully it holds true.

Bill

TXCrossfire

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Frisco, TX
    I was damn sure not looking for a political debate or any type of controversy on who is a “real” gunsmith or not. I am a simple man that enjoys hunting, fishing, gun building, gun collecting and working on my own weapons, not making a living working on others toys, a country boy can survive! (Heard the song?). I have done ton simple modifications and repairs for years now and would like to improve my skills any way I can. I wish I could afford and had the time to take an apprenticeship but it’s just not reality for me. I started asking around among friends and dinking around on the internet and became interested in online courses. Clearly the majority of stuff out there is a scam but something may be real and work for me, hence the original question that started the post. In addition to all that, the liberal banners and anti gun Democrats in DC are flying high with an unprecedented number of new bans, laws and regulations to severely limit our ability to do what WE love. Just a few examples we have seen before that are raising their ugly head again:

1. Making certain models, accessories or configurations illegal.

2. Banning certain types or calibers of ammo, or requiring ammo marking or "lead" removal.

3. Banning buying and selling without special permits, licenses or background checks, even for private sellers.

4. Eliminating hours by appointment by collectors, home FFL's and even stores without gunsmith certifications.

The good news is, just like under Clinton administration, from accredited schools Gunsmiths have been and will remain grand fathered exceptions to both the new and the old bans and their attempts to stop or limit hunting, collecting and home defense.

In addition, Certified Gunsmiths are able to buy tools, equipment, gun parts, accessories and everything else wholesale, without having to prove they have a brick and mortar store.

The way I see it:

Enhancing my skills doing something I already do without spending big bucks - Win!

Potentially protecting assets I currently own without spending big bucks - Win!

Anything I can do to save a few bucks on my obsession - Win!

Hmmmmm…….Let’s see……Win, win, win………Go for it

Molon labe…Compadre

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    So today I logged into my online course. The course materials are all in PDF format so I can download them and save them so I can read them anytime and not have to be on a internet connection. Haven't received any of the course materials yet from the school, but should be soon as they were shipped on the 13th.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Finished the first 2 chapters last night took the 2 exams. One was the intruduction/study chapter, the 2nd chapter was dealing with the safety, handling, disassembly/re-assembly in an orderly manner and how to properly care for parts, the tools required for the gunsmithing field. Pretty interesting so far. Should have my first shipment of stuff Monday. Will post more when I have new info.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Hey Lonewolf, Hows the course going, haven't seen an update lately but I am also interested in how everything is going. Thanks

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been so busy at work I haven't had time to do any updates.

Class is going pretty well, unfortunately not much hands on like what was promised in the brochures. Tons of great information though in reading materials. The course gives you both a PDF version of the reading materials and also sends you the hard copy version. Also, the course has sent me a ton of great references such as reloading books, parts books (as large as the Yellowpages Phone Book), also a few tools here and there, supposed to be getting a tool kit here pretty soon. I've actually learned a lot just from reading the materials, yes it would be nice to have some hands on items, but even without them the course is easy to follow along with and best of all you can read and take the tests at your own pace which are all open book and multiple choice. As soon as the test is completed you have an instant score, no waiting required.

I'm sure the lack of hands on materials has to do with all the stupid gun part shipping problems, plus this isn't just a gun smithing school, its an actual college so they don't just deal in gun schools.

I think that with all the materials, and tools I've received, and will receive when the course is completed I believe its well worth the $850 for the course, especially for someone just getting started as it goes into detail on actual business operations and how to be successful.

Bill

a44mag4dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It sounds like a course I took several years ago, PCDI I think was the school name, out of Atlanta. I got several outdated parts books, and a set of screwdrivers that actually turned out to be good, but other than that not much else and very little hands on. I wouldn't mind taking something to gain some knowledge. Being here in Kuwait its hard to take a course so I may have to get some DVD armorer course. Good luck with your class and keep us updated... Thanks

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    It sounds like a course I took several years ago, PCDI I think was the school name, out of Atlanta. I got several outdated parts books, and a set of screwdrivers that actually turned out to be good, but other than that not much else and very little hands on. I wouldn't mind taking something to gain some knowledge. Being here in Kuwait its hard to take a course so I may have to get some DVD armorer course. Good luck with your class and keep us updated... Thanks

The overall reading materials are great, and in a lot of detail, however the course didn't follow through with any hands on stuff like the brochures claimed there would be.

Top Bottom