• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bravo-51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Central TX via Afghanistan
    I've been looking at a lot of the online stuff as well. I think if you're just looking for knowledge, then they may be fine, but if you're looking for a license, then you may either be forced into a traditional school setting or if you're lucky, you can get into a certificate/license mill and they'll give you just enough to be dangerous. My thinking is that most of y'all/us are not wide-eyed and wet behind the ears, so some of it may be just what you need to get you there, then you can supplement with your own resources via another local smith, shop, or something along those lines. I'm a civilian and spend too damned much time in Iraq and Afghanistan (where I'm writing from now), but am trying to get started with something official since I've always either tinkered with stuff or been handed something with the caveat "here, fix this...". So I'm hoping we can keep this discussion going so that it'll help out others in the same boat. Sounds like we're all on the hunt for at least knowledge at a minimum and if we can get some extra benefit from it, GREAT.

Personally, I want to be a certified smith for the basics, then start working on factory certs so I can pad my resume a bit. I'm tired of IT (have been forever), but have always loved guns, so I keep coming back to what I know. Once I hang up my IBA for good I want something else to keep me busy and I also want to build my collection, so an FFL is in order as well.

If you look at the straight forward tables on Phoenix State University's site it seems pretty simple, but I still don't trust it: www.becomeagunsmith.com/

I plan on doing more research, but until I can get where I really need to be, I'm gonna keep my eye on this thread and hope that some else has blazed the same trail as LONEWOLF23C so that we can figure something out. I've got time... about 11 more months--at least.

Y'all have fun.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    In the 70's I took a mail order one from North American Schools. It wasn't bad, learned a few things, but luckily lived across the street from a guy that had a shop and had attended Colorado School of Firearms. He had all the equiptment frim blueing tanks, mills, lathes, rechamber you name it the guy could do anything and had quite a reputation. I see nothing wrong with a online class but be prepared to spend money to buy the things you will need for the different projects. I completed mine and did get my ffl which I kept for about 8 years till politics in Il got to bad.

Gunmonk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    New Braunfels TX
    I have many of the AGI videos and they are actually pretty helpful. I am about to graduate from Gunsmithing school and honestly I can not imagine learning even half of what I learned in school.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have been interested in Gunsmithing as a career for a while now. It proving to be difficult to find an "accredited" course. Suarez Int have glock armorers courses and a few others. I think they are probably one of the more recognized institutions in the gun world. In the last few years, I have adjusted, modified and indeed improved several of the guns in my personal collection. As a mechanic of over 14 years, I can tell you that tools of the trade are just as valueable as classroom instruction. Don't get me wrong, you can learn a lot in a classroom but having and knowing how to use specialized tools and equipment are what get the job done. I have owned over 20 guns personally and have found that some require very basic stuff to tinker, while others require specific tools to get anywhere. For me, the hands-on time is what has really helped me develop an interest into a craft. It is also hard to do-it-all. You could probably spend a lifetime just mastering trigger work and another one just doing refinishing. Which AGI videos seemed to do the most for you Gmonk?

Gunmonk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    New Braunfels TX
    The armorers courses are pretty good and I will usually pick one up if I purchase a new weapon I am unfamiliar with. I signed up to their monthly program a few years ago which sends 2 to 3 videos a month. It starts with the 1911 and moves to less popular firearms from there. They are straight forward and many are taught by an instructor who was at the colorado school. The courses on builds such as ak47 and fal are very helpful as well. If any of you are military make sure you get your discount from Brownells. You can save a ton on tools and gun parts.
    Most of the gun manufacturers offer armorers courses which are even better than the videos. The one from Glock only takes a day and you can then order directly from Glock.
    As to being a Federaly Certified gunsmith I have never heard of it and I can not find any one else who has either. Most of the gunsmiths I have run accross simply have ffl.

Top Bottom