• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I've been asking the same question myself. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something that won't work. I want to know how it works, I don't see how an online course would be practical for something such as working on a gun.

TXCrossfire

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Frisco, TX
    I am interested from the perspective of obtaining a gunsmith certification to protect my collection from future legislative changes. Being a certified gunsmith has perks that are not available to the average Joe when things change, and they WILL change.

TXCrossfire

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Frisco, TX
    What we could see is policy that dates back to the Clinton anti-web, anti-home rules. These rules tried to shut down stores with weekend hours, home dealers and collectors via State tax licenses and hours of operation. Most home FFL’s and private sellers have already figured the tax angle out. However, any seller, including stores with “variable hours of operation” (meaning no hours for the public, hours by appointment, or weekend only hours) MUST include gunsmithing. If a seller does not have a gunsmith credential, they could be denied, shut down during their next audit, or refused renewal if they are not open during full regular retail hours.

So I figure I could get a little better at something I already enjoy doing, gunsmithing, and be able to give myself a better chance in the future if something like this hits.

Plus it can give me the ability to buy tools, equipment, gun parts, accessories and everything else wholesale, without having to prove I have a brick and mortar store.

Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out and post my thoughts.

</SPAN>

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I signed up for the online gunsmithing course through Penn Foster Career School. Cost is $798 everything is provided for the course including books, and sample parts to work on. They can't ship a complete weapon, but they will ship parts that pertain to the chapter(s) that you are currently studying. Seems pretty interesting and reasonable so I'm going to try it.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    What we could see is policy that dates back to the Clinton anti-web, anti-home rules. These rules tried to shut down stores with weekend hours, home dealers and collectors via State tax licenses and hours of operation. Most home FFL’s and private sellers have already figured the tax angle out. However, any seller, including stores with “variable hours of operation” (meaning no hours for the public, hours by appointment, or weekend only hours) MUST include gunsmithing. If a seller does not have a gunsmith credential, they could be denied, shut down during their next audit, or refused renewal if they are not open during full regular retail hours.

So I figure I could get a little better at something I already enjoy doing, gunsmithing, and be able to give myself a better chance in the future if something like this hits.

Plus it can give me the ability to buy tools, equipment, gun parts, accessories and everything else wholesale, without having to prove I have a brick and mortar store.

Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out and post my thoughts.

</SPAN>

I still don't follow. How does having gunsmithing credentials help the average Joe protect is own personal, privately owned guns?

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I signed up for the online gunsmithing course through Penn Foster Career School. Cost is $798 everything is provided for the course including books, and sample parts to work on. They can't ship a complete weapon, but they will ship parts that pertain to the chapter(s) that you are currently studying. Seems pretty interesting and reasonable so I'm going to try it.
    let us know how it goes, if it turns out pretty good I'll probably follow this avenue.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    let us know how it goes, if it turns out pretty good I'll probably follow this avenue.

I will post info on here as I find out information. I'm going to wait about signing up for a couple weeks though cause I have some military classes I have to attend. As soon as I get started I will let everyone here know how things are going, what to expect, I will also include photos of the work samples that are sent out.

Bill

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    online gunsmith course

An online gunsmith course that teaches you to replace parts is one thing. But, if you really want to be a true GUNSMITH,learn from the best , apprentice,go to school, go to a school.

I am a shadetree smith that knows whats his limits are. If you want to be a real smith and be productive. Learn it right.!

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    An online gunsmith course that teaches you to replace parts is one thing. But, if you really want to be a true GUNSMITH,learn from the best , apprentice,go to school, go to a school.

I am a shadetree smith that knows whats his limits are. If you want to be a real smith and be productive. Learn it right.!

Add in there be rich. Going to a gunsmithing school isn't possible due to my job, not to mention the cost of attending a school is way out of my league. I'm not planning on being a gunsmith, I just want the general knowledge. No point in becoming a gunsmith now since Obama's in office, we aren't going to have guns much longer anyhow. I'm also planning on going to 45B armorer's course sometime this summer.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    Small arms repair good stuff, but don't expect to much. You know they only do up to level 30 maintenance? Which basically includes replacing bolts, parts and barrels as well as gauging and stoning out burs and whatnot. Pretty basic stuff, anything above that is at Depot level. I used to hang out at are DS repair shop, learned to take every company level weapon down to it's last pin and screw :)

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Small arms repair good stuff, but don't expect to much. You know they only do up to level 30 maintenance? Which basically includes replacing bolts, parts and barrels as well as gauging and stoning out burs and whatnot. Pretty basic stuff, anything above that is at Depot level. I used to hang out at are DS repair shop, learned to take every company level weapon down to it's last pin and screw :)

The 45B course is just that, however I'm lucky enough to have a depot level armorer in my unit that can completely take a weapon of any kind apart down to that last pin and screw and he's willing to teach me so I'll be pretty set.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Depot level maint at your unit? wow what kind of unit are you in?

I'm in a Cavalry Scout unit. However my unit Armorer's full time job is at the depot repair shop. So its great having him around. He's a federal technician and one of only 3 depot level techs in the state of Idaho right now.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Pimpness... bet you it didn't take long for them to throw him in the arms room when he came to the unit :)

No he was assigned that position from day one. Its great cause when I have a weapon go down I call him and he walks me though the steps to find out what's wrong with the weapon and I just order the parts, then when drill comes around he comes in and installs the parts and shows me how to do it. Its great having him around.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom