Online indicator

Discussion in 'Announcements & Comments' started by 40Arpent, Mar 26, 2009.

1. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    What happened to the little dot that showed whether someone was online or not? No big deal, I just kinda liked it. ;)

2. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    It's with the firearms classifieds. They are hanging out together down in Margaritaville acting in a manner befitting true Parrotheads, listening to good music and having a drink. Frankly I'm a little jealous........

3. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    LOL.

I removed it since it was kinda pointless.

4. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Ahhh, I wondered where it went too :crazy-1:

:lolz:

5. 40Arpent

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Well, I liked being able to see if someone was online for PM purposes, but thanks for your answer to my question.

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    A better gauge for that purpose would be to click on their name and see what time they were last online. The online indicator just shows that they visited in a specific time frame.

7. nalioth

nalioth Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Which is a time frame set by the administrator. So if you were to set it for "15 minutes" and let us know, we'd have a pretty good idea about when someone was 'in the neighborhood'.

I believe the OP is missing the "convenience' of just looking for the green dot, instead of having to click twice to get to the information you suggest.

8. 40Arpent

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I'll clarify my previous useage of the green dot with an examples only because you don't understand how I used it, but regardless, I am not arguing to bring it back. You find it pointless, so I have no choice but to respect that.

Example
    I am viewing a thread, reading a particular post by someone, and I want to contact them privately on matters related to their post. I look next to their name and see the green dot...I send them a PM with the expectation that I will likely get a prompt response, so I stick around longer than I otherwise would, waiting to carry on a conversation. I found it similarly useful if I have PM'd someone who is selling something. If I am checking their ad for any updates, and see that they are online, I can send a quick PM... "Hey dude, why haven't you responded to my offer yet?" or something like to that effect.

Over, and out.

9. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    There are other ramifications for setting the cookie time-out.

10. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's not pointless if it's used by people. I personally found it to be out of place in the looks dept. and removed it because there are several methods for checking if someone is online.

I'll design something that better fits the theme of the forum rather than a big glaring green / red dot.