• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >
    I tell this tale ON myself as a warning to others. "Mea Culpa. . . . Mea Maxima Culpa!"

Back when the CHL's were first available, I had been CC'ing extra-legally for years, but they were J-frames & PPK's.

Bride bought me a "Don Johnson Miami Vice Jackass Rig" shoulder holster and I decided to carry my big gun, a yet-unfired G21. (Yes, I know. . . I know)

First day was Saturday; went to visit my dog trainer. The wind blew jacket open, he saw, asked to look at gun.

OK, let me unload it. Oh wait, the GLOCK won't come out of the holster. I eventually took rig off to investigate. Gun STUCK. Even with us both trying, Carefully, as a round was known to be in chamber; still stuck. Each and both failed. Took it home, and had to use tools to extract gun.

GALCO "Help" said to unload and place GLOCK into big Ziplock bag, then force the unloaded gun back into holster, while still in bag. Repeat overnight for several nights, then try again. Finally, the GLOCK would come out, still difficult.

There are several lessons in this brief story. Please learn from my mistakes !

leVieux

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    >
    I tell this tale ON myself as a warning to others. "Mea Culpa. . . . Mea Maxima Culpa!"

Back when the CHL's were first available, I had been CC'ing extra-legally for years, but they were J-frames & PPK's.

Bride bought me a "Don Johnson Miami Vice Jackass Rig" shoulder holster and I decided to carry my big gun, a yet-unfired G21. (Yes, I know. . . I know)

First day was Saturday; went to visit my dog trainer. The wind blew jacket open, he saw, asked to look at gun.

OK, let me unload it. Oh wait, the GLOCK won't come out of the holster. I eventually took rig off to investigate. Gun STUCK. Even with us both trying, Carefully, as a round was known to be in chamber; still stuck. Each and both failed. Took it home, and had to use tools to extract gun.

GALCO "Help" said to unload and place GLOCK into big Ziplock bag, then force the unloaded gun back into holster, while still in bag. Repeat overnight for several nights, then try again. Finally, the GLOCK would come out, still difficult.

leVieux
    Roger that. Based on your experience I'll never buy a glock.

Thanks for the heads up.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Yup. Glad you went about it safely and resolved the problem to satisfaction.
    And that is why I always wear in a new holster/gun combination at home with an unloaded weapon. Same goes for magazines, accessories etc. Test fit is important.

Again, glad you resolved the problem safely. Learning from others' mistakes is my favorite way of learning. Thank you for the report.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Jackass rig still available.

DESCRIPTION
    The Original Jackass Rig was reintroduced for Galco International’s 30th Anniversary. Galco’s predecessor, "The Famous Jackass Leather Company," first introduced this shoulder system in 1970. I

bae19b55b012f7f625f1d50437b353a6.jpg

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    >

leVieux
    One of the holsters they issued us at work is this weird contraption where you have to twist the gun a certain way for it to come out. Like you, I got my loaded G23 stuck in the darn thing. It took a while to get out. I think it was some Uncle Mike's holster?

I bought a Safariland retention holster that releases the gun with a simple lever that can easilly and naturally be pulled while drawing the gun. I'm not going to risk getting killed because my stupid gimmicky holster wouldn't let me draw my gun.

Yeah, definitely test your new gear out before you use it. Preferably with an unloaded gun.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Sorry for your loss
    First of all a Glock does not I REPEAT DON'T GO IN A MIAMI GALCO CLASSIC PERIOD...
    BRENC10 AND THE. BELOVED 1911S ONLY...

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    One of the holsters they issued us at work is this weird contraption where you have to twist the gun a certain way for it to come out. Like you, I got my loaded G23 stuck in the darn thing. It took a while to get out. I think it was some Uncle Mike's holster?

I bought a Safariland retention holster that releases the gun with a simple lever that can easilly and naturally be pulled while drawing the gun. I'm not going to risk getting killed because my stupid gimmicky holster wouldn't let me draw my gun.

Yeah, definitely test your new gear out before you use it. Preferably with an unloaded gun.

Sounds like the Uncle Mike's - I used one for a short time before ditching it in favor of the Safariland 070. You had to twist the grip outward and upward at the same time to get the gun out of that damn thing - it was an unnatural motion. I switched guns from the Ruger P97 with that awful Uncle Mikes POS to a Glock 17 in the Safariland. The UM was IIRC, just a level two holster on paper, while the Safariland was a level three. Much more intuitive draw with the Safariland, rock the gun back THEN up. The forward cant of that holster made it easy to clear leather.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom