• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Found out that my dad's truck got searched at work yesterday when security decided to run the dogs through the parking lot. I'm still shaking my head at what they alerted on.

Out of all the crap that's been in that truck just in the past two months (spent brass, rotting deer head, empty beer cans just to name a few), the dog alerted on a pair of spent .22LR cases that had been sitting in the door cup-holder thing for the past six weeks, and then again on a beer bottle cap that had apparently gotten stuck behind the back seat, and had been there for God only knows how long.

Anyone have something similar happen to them/a friend/family member, and if so, what was your/their reaction?

Personally, I'm torn between WTF'ing and mild guilt, because I'm the one that dropped the brass and then forgot about it. On the other hand, it's kinda scary that the smell was still strong enough for the dog to pick up on even after 6 weeks, especially since one of the cases was caked with dirt.
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    In high school they hit my truck every time. I made no effort to remove any shotgun shells or spent casings. My dad would actually throw a crushed beer can in the back from time to time. Had some old firecrackers in there one time.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Found out that my dad's truck got searched yesterday when security decided to run the dogs through the parking lot.
    Where? Not specifically, but what type of place?

I've driven into high-security facilities where the drill outside the gate is "Open all locked containers, the center console, the glove box, pop the hood and trunk, go stand over that line while we run the dogs. The FPS Officer over there will search your person. Shouldn't take two minutes." but even in those places, randomly running dogs through parking lots was rare. Somebody's either got perimeter security they don't trust or is maintaining an awfully high level of security. Besides, in all the facilities I've been, hits on the smell of expended cases would mean a hit on most of the vehicles.

So - what kind of place was this?

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Where he works. I know security is relatively lax (after all, my dad has bought three different guns from people in that same parking lot), so this came as a real shock to me.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I figured he worked at a school, I didn't realize many other places were aloud to search your vehicle.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My dad got pulled over out of state years ago hauling a load of FRP (the white plastic like 4'x8' panels in bathrooms and restaurant kitchen walls). That stuff has a very strong chemical smell when stacked in an enclosed area. The dog went all through his van and the officer tore it all apart and didn't find anything. The officer left him with the warning "I know you are hiding something I just can't find it." My dad wasn't hiding anything, just hauling FRP.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I didn't realize many other places were aloud to search your vehicle.
    When you drive up to a 12-foot double-fence line with retractable bollards and a guard house full of FPS (Federal Protective Service) officers with a dog or two, it kinda sinks in that you're gonna get searched. You get used to it and don't mind it if the work is enough fun...which it almost always was.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    We had dogs in the parking lots and in the hallways of our high school very often. I was the Crime Stopper Coordinator so I got to know the handlers very well. Simply put, you won't fool those dogs!

They showed me how they needed to keep careful consideration of the wind direction. If there is a row of 7-8 cars and the wind is blowing in the direction from car one to car eight, if there is contraband in car one, the dog will alert on car 8 downwind! Those dogs are amazing! The handler makes certain that wind direction is not an issue and if there's contraband, they'll find it! There's just not a lot you can do to defeat them if their handler is on the ball. If you shoot, you'll have the scent in your car. They know that and it happens all the time.

Flash

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Where he works. I know security is relatively lax...
    So they're trying to make up for poor perimeter security with random checks. I've seen that. It's penny-wise and pound-foolish in my experience (and fails far too often, to boot) but I've seen that approach often enough to know it's out there. Thanks for the clarification.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    When you drive up to a 12-foot double-fence line with retractable bollards and a guard house full of FPS (Federal Protective Service) officers with a dog or two, it kinda sinks in that you're gonna get searched. You get used to it and don't mind it if the work is enough fun...which it almost always was.

I didn't mean with your situation, more thinking of those who work in fairly insecure environments. .

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Neighbors son worked for a company that just did a walkthrough of the parking lot, noted a few crushed beer cans in the bed of his truck. So they brought him out for a search of the vehicle. Found an unopened can under the toolbox ( rolled there at some point in the past ) and fired him on the spot. He was advised that just the cans alone would have been sufficient for dismissal but the full can made it certain.

He was a welder. I do not know the company or where he was ( Know it is within 100miles of Austin ). He also had only been working there for a month or so.

Worst I ever saw was leaving work one day and one of the guys in front of me had one of the Casio calculator watches ( yep dating myself ). As it was able to store information, it was removed and destroyed in front of him. Something to do with the big signs about High security, no recording devices etc.....

Top Bottom