• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I am really careful reloading, and have been lucky to this point in that I haven’t had any issues with squibs or overcharging a case. BUT, what happened today, was a D’OH! moment! I had primed some large rifle cases with magnum large rifle primers for a 30.06 load that I had worked up last year, but never really fine tuned. I had some leftover primed cases, and I have some Shooters World powder that I had wanted to try in 30.06, so I went ahead and looked up the load data, and loaded up the 12 cases I had left. What I didn’t take into account was that they had magnum primers and I needed to reduce the load. After taking the first shot, I checked the case. The primer showed that I was running hot. I was at the low end of the published charge, so I was a little confused, and took one more shot. 2nd case definitely showed signs of over pressure, and then it hit me!! Rookie mistake! Glad I always start low!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns International

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Those details can really eat you up. There are good reasons why you start with less-than-max loads and work your way up. I had a friend who loaded a bunch of pistol rounds at the max, despite my warnings, and found they were too hot at the range. I helped him unload nearly 200 rounds with an inertia puller. I will say that working that "hammer" helped to drive home the importance of doing the job right.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I'm doubtful you are seeing overpressure at the min load with a magnum primer. Your are generally talking about pressure deltas under a few kpsi when interchanging brands and strengths. What were the signs you saw that made you think you were overpressure and did the load feel like it was too hot?

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I'm doubtful you are seeing overpressure at the min load with a magnum primer. Your are generally talking about pressure deltas under a few kpsi when interchanging brands and strengths. What were the signs you saw that made you think you were overpressure and did the load feel like it was too hot?

The load data for the bullets I used was from 49.4 to 54 grains. The primer on the one I shot with 49.4 grains was flattened, but I went ahead and shot one more, and it was hard to extract from the chamber. When I did get the bolt back, the case had a small split around the base! That’s when I realized I had used cases with magnum primers. I was 4 grains under what they claimed was a max load. I guess it could have been bad brass, but it was once fired Norma, so I assumed it was the primer. Should have taken a pic of the case, but I tossed it.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    The load data for the bullets I used was from 49.4 to 54 grains. The primer on the one I shot with 49.4 grains was flattened, but I went ahead and shot one more, and it was hard to extract from the chamber. When I did get the bolt back, the case had a small split around the base! That’s when I realized I had used cases with magnum primers. I was 4 grains under what they claimed was a max load. I guess it could have been bad brass, but it was once fired Norma, so I assumed it was the primer. Should have taken a pic of the case, but I tossed it.

In general, using Magnum primer's won't make much if any difference especially when using slower burning powder's like those used in long action cartridges like a 30-06.

Reading flattened primer's will give you a lot of false information if you don't know how to set up your sizing dies correctly. More than likely you are giving your cases too much headspace when you resize them.
    There's no way you had high pressure if you loaded the starting load weight. You need to adjust your dies correctly, and your problem's should disappear. To do it correctly, you need a micrometer, and a set of case comparator gauges. Measure your fired brass, and then set your resizing die up to bump the shoulder back .002" - .003" under the fired brass measurement.
    Too much or not enough headspace can also cause stuck case's in the chamber, and the cracked case is more than likely a bad piece of brass, it happens even with the good stuff.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Reading primers is hardly conclusive most of the time. When they fall out, sure that's a definite clue, but there are all sorts of misleading cues from primers. I would spend some time learning how to use the case head expansion method along with a chronograph to understand loads better. There are some great articles out there on the method and why it is superior for handloaders than reading primers.

Hard to open bolt and a sticky case are fairly good signs but it could also indicate you have an improperly cut chamber or as mentioned, incorrectly sized brass.

Maybe you are having pressure issues but it seems highly unlikely based on what you are describing in terms of the load. Strange.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I’m gonna load a couple more up and try again Monday. I’ll load one with magnum primer and one without.
    Maybe it was just bad brass. I seated them the same as my usual load, which is right at the canelure. I’ve just never seen a case crack around the base like that. AND, I’m fixin to order a chrono!

Top Bottom