Lynx Defense

Open carry activist SWATed for filing complaint about illegal no-gun signs on municipal building

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The problem is, if everyone just rolls over and complies what then is accomplished?

I’m not advocating that at all. There is always a need for people willing to be arrested for what they believe in.

I was just commenting that some cops will arrest you just because you’re a jerk. Disorderly conduct comes to mind. Or any traffic offense other than speeding or open container violation.
    DK Firearms

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I’m not advocating that at all. There is always a need for people willing to be arrested for what they believe in.

I was just commenting that some cops will arrest you just because you’re a jerk. Disorderly conduct comes to mind. Or any traffic offense other than speeding or open container violation.
    Certainly that has been the case, but I applaud those that are willing to do what it takes to overturn an injustice, I'm not sure I could it unless pushed into a corner.

OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    Certainly that has been the case, but I applaud those that are willing to do what it takes to overturn an injustice, I'm not sure I could it unless pushed into a corner.

I'm there with you. I may not necessarily willing to do this kind of stuff but I feel we are better off for things like this. I truly support small government and will back those who are doing things to bring attention to government wrongdoing and work to keep it in check.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    You don’t arrest people for being a jerk......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People shouldn't be arrested for being a jerk but they often are. And that is due to police officers that are jerks. I am not saying that all police officers are jerks.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You don’t arrest people for being a jerk......
    The "win stupid prizes" peanut gallery seems to think getting arrested for being a jerk is acceptable.

I thought I read that he wasn't actually swatted, no?
    Calling it a "swatting" is inaccurate as no one called it in as a prank. They did wait until he was at home to arrest him so that they could search the house and confiscate property. I'm guessing no warrant was necessary because they were there to arrest him for the perceived felony of carrying a gun in a courthouse. He didn't actually do that, btw...

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    This was not the best way to accomplish his goal.

That’s literally the legally prescribed way to accomplish the goal minus the fake gun.

Step 1 go to the place with illegal signage
    Step 2 be denied entry
    Step 3 discuss with controlling entity
    Step 4 submit to AG for investigation
    Step 5 AG reviews and issues letter.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    That’s literally the legally prescribed way to accomplish the goal minus the fake gun.

Step 1 go to the place with illegal signage
    Step 2 be denied entry
    Step 3 discuss with controlling entity
    Step 4 submit to AG for investigation
    Step 5 AG reviews and issues letter.

The fake gun was unnecessary and unwise.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The fake gun was unnecessary and unwise.
    It may be considered unwise, but it certainly pointed out the totalitarian views that some of these justice systems in these towns and cities have gotten to. The "don't question our authority or face the consequences" mentality.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    It may be considered unwise, but it certainly pointed out the totalitarian views that some of these justice systems in these towns and cities have gotten to. The "don't question our authority or face the consequences" mentality.

There isn’t much legal verbiage protecting the individual from carrying a piece of plastic.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    There isn’t much legal verbiage protecting the individual from carrying a piece of plastic.
    The thing is, I didn't see at any point, and I'm not sure if they have video of their own, where he tried to go beyond that point of entry, fake gun or not. He did show after he removed that 'fake gun' wanting to file a complaint. I do believe that lieutenant was being belligerent and may have also been the force behind the arrest, search and seizure, and with the blessing of his superior.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    ...carrying a piece of plastic.
    Heck, I do that all the time

Glock - early 3rd gen.jpg

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

No disagreement on your point.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Want to antagonize the LEO, get it back in spades. It is a little funny that they consider it 'their' property even though the taxpayers built it. I do believe the small town courthouses are 'the court' so the law pretty much protects them even if other offices are there.
    Episodes like this don't really befriend the LEO. He could have just gone in and filed the complaint - no proof he even owned a gun. Judge would then have no valid reason to issue a warrant. Right or wrong, he created his problem.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    If I had the resources and had a mind to call out injustices like that, I would probably do the same. I would first hire a lawyer and research the law thoroughly, also make sure he has my back, if and when things do go south.
    Just filing the complaint may get the law changed as far as the building goes, but would do nothing in pointing out the injustices of the LE in that town, and for that I applaud his efforts.

Last edited:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    If I had the resources... I would first hire a lawyer...

I suspect that’s what stops a lot of us from participating in such “corrective action”.

When they say, “you can’t fight city hall” - it was always about the lack of resources [money] the individual has verses the resources the government has.

I always thought it was a good thing I wasn’t a lawyer - I’d probably starve to death! I’d be working ‘pro bono’ cases all the time. Especially those that tend to force government authority to follow the will and Rights of the people. I’d be my own SJW - just not in the same sense we currently think of that phrase.

Top Bottom