Open Carry Experiences

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by locke_n_load, Jan 1, 2016.

1. TBM

TBM New Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Just catching up on this one. Honestly, I've only seen one person openly carrying aside from obvious law enforcement (uniform, badge, etc.). He was walking out of Cabela's in Allen.

Guns are guns - not a big deal if you don't make them that way. Didn't English Bob say something about his pistols not being a problem if Little Bill didn't see them, or more specifically, didn't hear them?

2. Domineaux

Domineaux Active Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Houston
    Had a nice chat last night at Kroger in NW Houston when a young lady asked me if I was a cop because I open carry.
    She wanted to know what it takes to become licensed to carry as she's been robbed before and wants the ability to protect herself.
    I gave her plenty of information to chew on, my number (as an instructor) and that of another that is more active, to get training and then her LTC.

3. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Yet another reason I have been advocating more people OC'ing. If nobody bothers, then these businesses have no incentive to remove 30.07 signage. And lobbying for a business to remove a 30.07 sign then no one OC'ing makes it pointless. Again, this is a right more people need to exercise!

4. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Let us know what you come up with relative to organizing demonstrations and how your discussion with the owner of TX3006 goes.

5. A & P Armory

A & P Armory Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    I actually went into rancho grande in Tomball when I got the alert they had a sign up. Talked to the assistant manager. Told him I was just verifying because we were planning a demonstration in the coming weeks and didn't want a false allegation.

We never demonstrated but I understand they've since removed the 30.06 sign. Not sure if I helped in that.

If I get time, I'll have to revisit this more aggressively. As it is, I spend 60% of my time at work, 39% at home, and 1% between the shooting range and golfing...so I rarely see a sign actually. But it's the principle that would motivate me.

When I teach my ltc classes, I play a video of a woman testifying before Texas congress to help enact the chl laws. She survived the lubys massacre in 1991. Her parents didn't. 22 people were killed. She, a law abiding citizen, left her gun in her car. Do we really even need to discuss it past that? These stores need to watch that video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. RetArmySgt

RetArmySgt Glad to be back. TGT Supporter

Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    yes

7. fishingsetx

fishingsetx Well-Known

Feb 15, 2015
    Id be curious if the GHRA has a policy that retailers are required to post, some local rep pushing his/her personal agenda or a local store owner looking for an "out" for posting the signs. I see stores around here that arent posted and yet are part of GHRA.

here is an article copied and pasted straight from their Feb 2016 magazine publication:

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

8. BRD@66

BRD@66 Well-Known

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Yes.

9. locke_n_load

locke_n_load Well-Known

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Suzanna Hupp.

10. Nano65

Nano65 New Member

Apr 16, 2016
    Just yesterday my wife and I went to the Golden Chicken restaurant in Arlington. I open carried and quite a few saw it but there was not any type of look or comment.