Open Carry Experiences

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by locke_n_load, Jan 1, 2016.

1. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    To each their own. I may die getting struck by lightening, but I'm not going to live my life in fear of it.

Wildcat Diva likes this.
  2. cb51

cb51 Member

Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    No, but do you go stand out on the roof of the barn in a thunder storm and dare it to hit you?

3. easy rider

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    No, I'm saying that the one sure thing is that none of us are getting out of this life alive. If I decide not to do things based on I could die, have I cheated death? Have I truly lived? I'm not afraid of dying as much as I'm afraid of not living.

I would rather die doing something I love, then die in bed in fear of dying.

4. seeker_two

seeker_two Well-Known

Jul 1, 2008
    There are ways to do both...... ;)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Wildcat Diva and BRD@66 like this.
  5. Partock

Partock New Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Spring
    I started experimenting with OC when the law changed and I've been surprised that my experiences have been overwhelming positive. I moved from a Houston address to a Spring address recently and there was a Walgreens I frequented at my old address. I visited that store on a regular basis and it was almost three months before they noticed I was OC'ing, and they said they wished they saw more.
    Was with the family in a Walmart in Spring and had somebody come up and ask a ton of questions on my experiences carrying because they were thinking about it. I think generally, in my experience, it's mostly ignored.

claymore504 likes this.
  6. Noggin

Noggin Member

Oct 4, 2016
    A couple of weeks ago I was picking up a take out in Panda Express in College Station and the guy at the register asked me what I was carrying, he then went on to talk about his own plan to get his LTC. Some months earlier I was asked the same question by a woman while I was getting groceries in Kroger, she then went on to say that her husband (who was not there with her) usually open carried and that they have tended to avoid HEB because of it's 30:07 policy

I was recently at Whataburger, which I have always believed to be 30:07 but I saw no signs, I took a walk around outside to check both entrances but still no signs, does anyone know if they have changed their 30:07 position?

7. easy rider

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    No sign, no law broken if do go in. They can ask you to leave or cover it, but that's about it.

claymore504 likes this.
  8. fishingsetx

fishingsetx Well-Known

Feb 15, 2015
    From what I understood, whataburger never posted signs. They did say that they would prefer you to conceal though. As stated above, they can ask you to conceal or leave, but from my experience, they either dont ask, ir dont even notice it.

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

claymore504 and busykngt like this.
  9. RACER X

RACER X TGT Addict

Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Same w starbucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. BillRedding

BillRedding New Member

Jan 29, 2017
    El Paso, TX (Westside)
    As a few here have already noted, MOST people don't even notice people OCing, probably because seeing people who OC is one notch below seeing a unicorn: It just ain't likely at all. Consequently, people aren't expecting to see anyone carry (except cops). Even *I* have to be deliberately looking for OCers or else *I* usually don't notice, either. ;-)

If people DO notice, however, hardly anyone says anything about it -- they might think OCers are some kind of LEO (detective, narco, whatever) and don't give it any further thought (who knows). On occasion though, some people DO notice and ask questions...which give me an opportunity to "spread the gospel" of having a personal self-protection/self-defense PLAN and encourage them to start CARRYING, be it OC or CC (as 99.99% of carriers do). I couldn't have such conversations if I were CCing, as (by definition) no one would see my gun! ;-)

IME OCing (here in ELP and in various cities/towns/suburbs in Colorado and New Mexico), ALL but one of the comments I've received have been positive, only the one was "mildly critical" (from a clueless old-guy liberal, a victim-waiting-to-happen and completely unaware of it -- or in-denial).

I OC every day and pretty much everywhere I go...except Federal property (VA Healthcare Facilities, military bases, SS office and USPS), but do not OC where my business is not wanted (because I DO carry) -- such as anti-gun Starbucks and other shops/eateries/stores -- so I won't support (boycott) such businesses with my money. As for some other GFZs (malls, for one example), I switch to conceal, as anything can happen at any time, and the mall cops (not even armed) wouldn't be able to save me, anyone else or even themselves for that matter. I also don't carry where there are metal detectors! ;-)

So each of us has to make that call ourselves: Be a "good" (but dead) law-abiding citizen or a "bad" (but alive) outlaw citizen -- if "stuff happens." NO place is safe anymore, not even @ home.

-- BR
    (President, El Paso Open Carry)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    claymore504 likes this.