• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PMG2010

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    TX
    There is a new TX House Bill 106 that if passed would allow open carry so long as it is "carried in a shoulder or belt holster with at least dual points of resistance". A copy of the originally submitted bill is attached. However, it does not define "dual points of resistance".

Forgive a neophyte question, but is there any accepted definition of "dual points of resistance", legally codified or otherwise? Does this mandate SERPA style locking/retention holsters, or will a custom molded Kydex holder that retains on multiple angels/faces of the sidearm suffice?
    DK Firearms

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I assume they're talking about what used to be (may still be called) a holster rated "Level II" for retention.

By who's standards? It's been pointed out in other threads that different manufacturers have different ideas on what constitutes the different levels. Without a clear definition, it's going to be pointless.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I assume they're talking about what used to be (may still be called) a holster rated "Level II" for retention.

See the third paragraph here: Handgun holster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See this for some illustrations: Holster Retention levels 101

See this for some opinionated thought: Retention Holsters: Just Say No - The Truth About Guns

See this for some history: holster retention levels
    Thanks Ben. I don't think I like thumb break holsters. That's cop stuff. Kydex or formed leather should be good enough. I'll take whatever more freedoms they'll lend us tho.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    By who's standards? It's been pointed out in other threads that different manufacturers have different ideas on what constitutes the different levels. Without a clear definition, it's going to be pointless.
    There's a saying in IT that standards are wonderful things because everyone writes their own and you can pick whichever you like.

Same here. Someone's going to have to write a definition. There could be a lot of devil in that particular detail.

Top Bottom