• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GKC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    San Angelo, Texas
    I was looking at a unique holster today (online) the base of which fits in the cup holder, and then holds the pistol in an upright, ready to grasp position. That made me wonder about the issue of open carry in the vehicle.

As I understand it, Texas law says (or did) that if you carry a handgun in your vehicle, it has to be concealed (i.e., out of plain sight.) I usually keep mine in the center console while I'm driving, so that it's concealed, but it's not very quick to access. (When I leave the car, I lock the handgun in a pistol safe.) The cup holder holster looks like a good way to quickly access your handgun, but it's obviously not concealed.

I wonder if, now that open carry is legal in Texas, the concealed requirement in your car is superseded if you have a LTC permit. I would think so. Up to now, I really haven't needed a CHL, but I'm thinking about getting a LTC...the reduction in class fee for seniors and the veteran discount for the license makes it very affordable, and would resolve any question about carrying in my car. I'm trying to find this in the law, but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone knows.

Thanks.
    Lynx Defense

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Open carry in your vehicle with a valid LTC should be okay provided you follow the LTC regs. That is; in a belt or shoulder holster. In the cup holder not so much.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Looks pretty inexpensive to me!
    IMG_0034.JPG

Wonder what keeps the foam in the cup holder when ya draw?
    f3e85f918d911aa986dc018da73820c8.jpg

Sent from my Apple thang using Tapatalk

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    ABS is a hard plastic rather than a foam (it's typically the type plastic, lining your refrigerator). So they must form (mold) it, based on specific pistol model. The GF Foam - the orange foam shown - actually struck me as being a pretty good idea. It's inexpensive, functional & appears to serve it's intended purpose (as long as it doesn't follow the pistol out of the cup holder upon being drawn). And (at least for Texas - others states have different laws) throwing a towel or NRA ballcap over it, would appear to serve the purpose of keeping it from being exposed. (Just kidding about the ballcap saying NRA... Glock would be much better).

heavygunner8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2016
    Houston
    The law gotta catch up on guns inside vehicle. Doesn't make much sense that we can open carry while walking around but must conceal it in our vehicle.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    To open carry it has to be carried in a belt or shoulder holster BY the license holder.

Texas Penal Code
    Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place. It is an exception to the application of this subsection that the handgun was partially or wholly visible but was carried in a shoulder or belt holster by the license holder.

You can open carry in your car, it just has to be on you. You can conceal anywhere in the car.

Top Bottom