• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pmcbear04

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Howdy all,

As a proud Texan temporarily displaced for Marine Corps duty in North Carolina, I find it interesting (not in a good way) that Texas seems to be somewhat restrictive with regard to its open carry policy. Here in NC, I open carry from time to time (CCL not required) around the city and have never had a problem.

Just wanted to steer anyone that is interested to the following website for educational and informational purposes regarding this liberty we should all be able to excercise.

[URL="http://opencarry.org/maps.html"][url]http://opencarry.org/maps.html[/URL][/URL]

Does anyone have any experiences with open carrying in Texas? I have done it in remotely rural areas while hunting, etc. Is anyone aware of any push to loosen the laws in Texas for this?

Enjoy the website - it has great info.

Barrett
    Target Sports

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    There is currently no legislation submitted for open carry in Texas. I don't suspect we will see it within even the next decade. It appears our campus carry legislation is dead.

As far as opencarry dot org. The Texas Page begins with a lie; "Summary
    Texas is not a traditional open carry state. They also do not allow open carry, or even printing, by those who have a concealed carry permit."

Printing is not outlawed. In Texas, it is unlawful to intentionally fail to conceal. An inadvertent flash or print is not illegal.

Texas generally prohibits the carry of handgun unless on your own premises or one under your control (carry open if you wish) or in a motor vehicle that you own is is under your control (must be concealed)

There are exceptions;

traveling (carry open or concealed)
    hunting, fishing or other lawful sporting activity if the handgun is commonly used in the activity (carry open or concealed)
    under a CHL (must be concealed)
    As an armed guard (gun must be IN PLAIN VIEW)
    managing a placed licensed to sell alcohol (carry however you wish)

So out of 7 instances you can carry, 2 do not allow open carry, 1 requires it and the others are silent. That does not sound like "they do not allow open carry".

Then it goes on about College Carry;

College Carry Carry Prohibited by Statute

NOTE: Even if Legal, Students May be Subject to Academic Sanctions

They state that it is prohibited, then go on to write, "even if legal". What a poorly researched place. Texas only makes college carry illegal INSIDE buildings.

The "online petition" also contains lies and other misinformation.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Regardless of its poorly worded lettering, I hope that we could get open carry passed here in Texas. I will agree however that when it is poorly written, all it does is turn away people who might have gone for it...Hey Txinvestigator, could we get you to re-write it properly, seeing as how you have a pretty vast understanding of what the laws and requirements actually are. I know many on this site are not for open carry, but it's (supposed to be) our right to bear arms...and I think it seems to be working out in the states that allow it... Atleast I'm not hearing about old west duels happening in the middle of main streets.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I'll Keep you in mind if I can get someone to write one...unfortunately I'm not that good at those things either, but the current one will most definitely not do.

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Nice website but wow talk about all the difference depending on what u are doing. The travel one is that traveling in a car? I give you guys credit for knowing all these laws, It gets very confusing to me if you leave the state. Or statutorily meens no ifs ands or buts correct.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Go to the website and look at the travel one it looks like a box of fruit loops.

I'm also not sure what you're talking about but if you're looking at opencarry.org for info, don't.

And if you go state to state, yes, if you don't know the laws of that state, whether in regards to handguns or doughnuts, you'll be confused.

I'm still scratching my head about opencarry.org and what their intention was in getting people excited about an open carry bill. It didn't have a good foundation, wasn't planned and certainly didn't have a very good follow through. But they collected money.......... then blasted anyone that had registered, with emails trying to push us to their writings which was for person gain only.

Maybe next time, it should be Texan's that drive the effort for open carry in Texas.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    My sentiments exactly...I'm not trying to infringe on anyones rights, but under what circumstanes would this be a good idea?

I have a strong opinion about open carry, but I also support other's right to want it and to ask for it.

I ask the question because if he wants open carry, that is the starting opint. Why and of what benefit is it to Texans?

Lay out a logical, factual and compelling set of reasons. That is unlike the previous petition. ;)

PS: I think you and I are on the exact same page in regards to open carry.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have a strong opinion about open carry, but I also support other's right to want it and to ask for it.

I ask the question because if he wants open carry, that is the starting opint. Why and of what benefit is it to Texans?

Lay out a logical, factual and compelling set of reasons. That is unlike the previous petition. ;)

PS: I think you and I are on the exact same page in regards to open carry.

I think we are to. I dont have a problem with others wanting it....I just dont know why they want it. It would appear to have a lot more cons than pros.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I think we are to. I dont have a problem with others wanting it....I just dont know why they want it. It would appear to have a lot more cons than pros.

I have a strong belief why I think others want it so much, but since I don't really know and don't want to offend, I'll just keep it to myself.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I also think a lot of proponents of open carry probably feel about the same way you 2 do as well. I don't think anyone is expecting to "strap it on" and head out into the public every day. While I'd love to be able to, comfort and ease to start, there are more reasons why not to. I'd just like to be the one to decide when and if it's appropriate. But no tears from me over it.

sti45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    And why do you think people, should have to justify there constiutional
    rights to anyone ?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I have a strong belief why I think others want it so much, but since I don't really know and don't want to offend, I'll just keep it to myself.

I think Open Carry will result in a lot of Unintended Consequences that will not be in the best interests of gun owners.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom