Military Camp

Open carry of long arms in Texas (holstered Keltec sub 2000?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Daniel M. Ramos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2013
    Austin
    There is an odd way to do things legally in Texas that actually require you to open carry. That would be to get certified by DPS as a private security officer (body guard), set up your own corporation, hire yourself out to your friends and family for a penny or something minimal like that to make it official. The law requires that you wear a uniform and that any weapon you have is openly carried not concealed (due to being in uniform). If a private security officer is in plain clothes they are required to conceal carry. The fees, training, and time to become a private security officer are pretty significant but not out of the range for a committed person.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    There is an odd way to do things legally in Texas that actually require you to open carry. That would be to get certified by DPS as a private security officer (body guard), set up your own corporation, hire yourself out to your friends and family for a penny or something minimal like that to make it official. The law requires that you wear a uniform and that any weapon you have is openly carried not concealed (due to being in uniform). If a private security officer is in plain clothes they are required to conceal carry. The fees, training, and time to become a private security officer are pretty significant but not out of the range for a committed person.

Daniel, I am a Qualified manager, classroom and firearms instructor, and a PI, commissioned guard and PPO. Your assessment is completely off. One would not meet the requirements by hiring himself out to friends and family for a dollar. You must have agreements, schedules, be on duty, etc. There is significant training involved. A guard cannot wear plain clothes and conceal UNLESS he is a level 4 officer and on duty. To qualify one must take additional training and pass an MMPI II administered by a license psychiatrist. You must have a licensed manager that meets minimum experience and passes a test administered by DPS in Austin.

Basically your little scheme won't work, and is just silly on its face.

Daniel M. Ramos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2013
    Austin
    Daniel, I am a Qualified manager, classroom and firearms instructor, and a PI, commissioned guard and PPO. Your assessment is completely off. One would not meet the requirements by hiring himself out to friends and family for a dollar. You must have agreements, schedules, be on duty, etc. There is significant training involved. A guard cannot wear plain clothes and conceal UNLESS he is a level 4 officer and on duty. To qualify one must take additional training and pass an MMPI II administered by a license psychiatrist. You must have a licensed manager that meets minimum experience and passes a test administered by DPS in Austin.

Basically your little scheme won't work, and is just silly on its face.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. It was just a thought after all. You would know better than I. So, tell me. Since you have gone through all of the training could you set up a schedule etc. and hire yourself out to friends and family for a minimal fee?

Would that require you to open carry?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Ok, thanks for the clarification. It was just a thought after all. You would know better than I. So, tell me. Since you have gone through all of the training could you set up a schedule etc. and hire yourself out to friends and family for a minimal fee?

Would that require you to open carry?

No. That is silly and would not fly. Good grief. I guess you could buy some land, incorporate as a city, create a government, get a number from TCLEOSE, sponsor yourself through a police academy, hire yourself as the Town Marshal, then you could open carry in plain clothes.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    No. That is silly and would not fly. Good grief. I guess you could buy some land, incorporate as a city, create a government, get a number from TCLEOSE, sponsor yourself through a police academy, hire yourself as the Town Marshal, then you could open carry in plain clothes.
    We need a town named "Open Carry" where all the folks are Marshals.

coacha

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I asked a local officer this question and I was told this law is referring to having a long rifle in your car not actually on your person... but that makes no sense to me...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ok, I'm just a dumbass but here's my opinion.

First, the post about not having a CHL so you carry a rifle in the car but don't want to leave it in the car.

Just car carry, you don't need a CHL.

Now to the point of losing the right to OC long guns because of not using it.

We don't have a law that says we CAN OC long guns, we DON'T have a law that say we can't. That's how laws work

If folks start carrying rifles around with the intention of showing cops what the law is and causing a bunch of trouble every time they have a run in with a cop who doesn't feel like being told what the law are we may just end up talking some of the lawmakers in to writing a new law to prevent OC of long guns just to stop the BS.

I exercise my right to OC long guns to its fullest........when I have a reason to. I don't carry my AR for the sake of carrying it. If I have somewhere to go and OC is the best option that's what I do. I don't hide it, I just go about my business. If I get questioned by LE I will be polite and answer the questions.

Exercising rights does not mean you have to be an ass about it or go out of your way to make sure everybody knows what your doing.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Ok, I'm just a dumbass but here's my opinion.

First, the post about not having a CHL so you carry a rifle in the car but don't want to leave it in the car.

Just car carry, you don't need a CHL.

Now to the point of losing the right to OC long guns because of not using it.

We don't have a law that says we CAN OC long guns, we DON'T have a law that say we can't. That's how laws work

If folks start carrying rifles around with the intention of showing cops what the law is and causing a bunch of trouble every time they have a run in with a cop who doesn't feel like being told what the law are we may just end up talking some of the lawmakers in to writing a new law to prevent OC of long guns just to stop the BS.

I exercise my right to OC long guns to its fullest........when I have a reason to. I don't carry my AR for the sake of carrying it. If I have somewhere to go and OC is the best option that's what I do. I don't hide it, I just go about my business. If I get questioned by LE I will be polite and answer the questions.

Exercising rights does not mean you have to be an ass about it or go out of your way to make sure everybody knows what your doing.

Those last three paragraphs times a million!!! +++++ That is exactly what may happen if these guys fail to ID themselves and act like asses. They are not helping the case whatsoever.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom