APOD Firearms

Open carry petition. Check it out please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    When you look at it from this point, you really have to break down the criminal psyche tho. Why does someone rob someone else? Generally for a very liquid value or something that's going to bring a high yield easily. Is attacking someone for their pistol really worth it? You could get a gun from the deal, but you could also get shot.

I see what you're saying, but I really don't believe that anyone is going to mug someone for their fire arm. The risks are way too high. Criminals typically prey on the meek, not the prepared. Not to mention, with all the retention systems out there these days, it'd take a criminal that's pretty well versed in holsters to be effective. Thats just not something I see happening very readily.

Criminals all over the country are training right now to defeat the retention systems of your holster. It has been seen everywhere. Don't sell them short, or underestimate them.

And remember, when the chips are down, the hard target gets shot first.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I'm kind of mixed about it.

Open carry really has no true benefit over concealed carry. You are proclaiming to the world you have a gun; making yourself the first target, rather than the wolf in sheep's clothing. It also gives a free ride to people that want to walk into a place with a firearm with bad ideas.

I'm more than content with concealed carry. I'd rather appear harmless, position myself behind cover, and engage someone than look like John Wayne.

I do feel that there needs to be greater awareness in the public of firearms. One based on logical fact rather than fear mongering and Hollywood. That would do alot for us.

Concealed carry seems better for me, too. I thing your statement above covers it well. Open carry gives the bad guy an edge of awareness.

Bob Loblaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    The right to OC would be good. I doubt that I would OC often, as OC says to me, "shoot me first".

Well if it's as prevalent as the people in this thread seem to believe, surely you wouldn't mind furnishing some proof to validate this point of view?

I mean Co and Az both have OC in effect, and have for quite some time. Surely it wouldn't be hard to find one solitary documented case of someone being targeted as a result of open carry.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    And so does North or South Carolina I believe, and West Virginia I think has some restricted OC. And Vermont maybe?

I'd be curious how many cases thee have been also....

Bob Loblaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    it wouldn't be hard to find one solitary documented case of someone being targeted as a result of open carry.

by someone other than the government, sorry had to qualify that

And so does North or South Carolina I believe, and West Virginia I think has some restricted OC. And Vermont maybe?

I'd be curious how many cases thee have been also....

Here's a list of all the states which allow OC, and how it's regulated
    http://www.opencarry.com/

DopaVash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    I dunno guys, it seems that the only people who target people who OC are LEO's. I haven't read any stories that I can remember about people who OC getting killed or even having any altercations other than the occasional store owner asking them to leave or someone asking them questions. In all the instances I've read, it's been a much larger deterrent than a targeting situation.

Enron Exec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Behind 16 rnds of 9x19mm
    Id like to see open carry allowed in this state.

It doesnt mean you HAVE to carry openly... you can still carry concealed and thats how id personally prefer going about. Its just nice to have the option, because after all, its a free country! :)

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Enron, I agree, it would be perfect to have the choice to go OC or CC. Heck, much of that is based on my attire and body. I can't hide a piece of bologna on me without printing! :o

tone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Agreed.

However, when you think about it's actual purpose, it would mean that if we carry concealed, and the firearm were to momentarily be seen by someone the ramifications of that pure accident are less, and more protected. Hence I would support something of that nature.

One of my many long term goals for the site is to become pro-active in politics. To organize the members into preserving rights we were born with, and work to achieve those logical rights we have yet to obtain.

That is exactly the way I see it also. Some want to carry concealed, some would like to OC. What your reasons are is certainly not the issue. It is 1) the issue of accidental printing, reaction of someone seeing it etc... and 2) having the option as a law abiding citizen.:)

DopaVash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    I think OC would be a good train to hop on to start a political career for a website. It's gained a great bit of steam already and it's a fairly new issue (to the texas public, anyhow). The Tx petition already has circa 15,000 signatures. Also, Perry has already expressed support for it. Now is a great time to get on the wagon, especially with all the Texan media coverage it's been garnering. Just my opinion tho.

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    IMO aren't concealed carriers "supposed" to be more "aware" of their surroundings? I know I am. Plus, if we do get to carry "open" it would just make me MORE aware of my surroundings. I get more alert when someone gets within 30 feet of me, no matter who they are, except a pretty female of course :D.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    IMO aren't concealed carriers "supposed" to be more "aware" of their surroundings? I know I am. Plus, if we do get to carry "open" it would just make me MORE aware of my surroundings. I get more alert when someone gets within 30 feet of me, no matter who they are, except a pretty female of course :D.

Whether you're carrying concealed, open or not carrying at all, you should have the same level of awareness. ;)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom