APOD Firearms

Open carry petition. Check it out please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I'm all for open carry, however ... Online petitions are nearly worthless. They are roundly ignored by all because they require zero effort to organize and represent far less commitment from "signatories" than real paper petitions requiring some serious shoe leather to get signed. A letter-writing campaign (as in physical letter that must be delivered by the postal service) is far more effective than an online petition and shows that not only are all the participants willing to put pen to paper, but they're willing to spend a few cents to send the message.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm all for open carry, however ... Online petitions are nearly worthless. They are roundly ignored by all because they require zero effort to organize and represent far less commitment from "signatories" than real paper petitions requiring some serious shoe leather to get signed. A letter-writing campaign (as in physical letter that must be delivered by the postal service) is far more effective than an online petition and shows that not only are all the participants willing to put pen to paper, but they're willing to spend a few cents to send the message.

Agreed.

I believe open carry to be from a face value rather worthless. However, when you think about it's actual purpose, it would mean that if we carry concealed, and the firearm were to momentarily be seen by someone the ramifications of that pure accident are less, and more protected. Hence I would support something of that nature.

One of my many long term goals for the site is to become pro-active in politics. To organize the members into preserving rights we were born with, and work to achieve those logical rights we have yet to obtain.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Agreed.

I believe open carry to be from a face value rather worthless. However, when you think about it's actual purpose, it would mean that if we carry concealed, and the firearm were to momentarily be seen by someone the ramifications of that pure accident are less, and more protected. Hence I would support something of that nature.

One of my many long term goals for the site is to become pro-active in politics. To organize the members into preserving rights we were born with, and work to achieve those logical rights we have yet to obtain.

You misunderstand. Online petitions are nearly worthless and utterly ignored by those they seek to influence. It takes no effort to organize or add your name to an online petition thus they carry no weight.

I'm all for open carry not because I immediately intend to strap a blaster on my hip and draw attention to myself, but because I don't think it's necessary to prohibit the practice and perhaps I hope that the culture will shift back towards seeing firearms as normal instead of just things that criminals and weird gun nuts are interested in.

welmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Amarillo, Tx
    I doubt I would ever openly carry but would like a little more leaway on accidental exposure when carrying concealed. My only worry is that I have heard in years past that in open carry states that if the weapon was concealed in any way, such as under a heavy coat in bad weather, you were violating the open carry law. This may or may not be true, and if it was in the past that may all be changed now. It might also be that your CHL would cover you. Just my thoughts about this.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I personally would never open carry myself for many reasons, though I guess I'm not really against it per se as I think people should be free to do as they choose (within logical reason of course).

Dusty Rivers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Agreed.

the firearm were to momentarily be seen by someone the ramifications of that pure accident are less, and more protected. Hence I would support something of that nature.

The law states "intentionally fail to conceal the handgun" If you are making a real effort to conceal, would you really be in toruble?:confused:

DopaVash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    Open carrying is an excellent way to educate the masses, or so say many of the people on Opencarry.org. Yeah, they take some crap for it sometimes, but it will also instigate conversations where you would be able to start converting the sheeple. As far as I've found, fears of firearms almost exclusively come from ignorace. Just like the girl I'm dating. When we started dating, she was afraid of holding one much less shooting it. 4 months later, I can't get her to stop shooting up all my ammo

pxranger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    The Republic of Texas
    I like Arizona's/New Mexico's open carry laws, because they don't require the carrier to have a license. I'm not yet licensed, but I'm thinking about it. If open carry were allowed, without a license, then I would just do that. I don't like the idea of being on a list of people that have the balls to actually carry a weapon.

ironman45693

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Austin
    I am all for an open carry policy, but I don't think I would ever do it. I would much rather carried concealed unless I was off in the middle of no-where. There are too many people out there that get freaked out by guns, and I just wouldn't want to deal with that. I would just keep it concealed.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I am all for an open carry policy, but I don't think I would ever do it. I would much rather carried concealed unless I was off in the middle of no-where. There are too many people out there that get freaked out by guns, and I just wouldn't want to deal with that. I would just keep it concealed.

Yeah, that's the difficult, initial wall that must be broken down in order to desensitize society to openly visible guns. The news media and Hollywood have demonized guns and always show them in such a horrific light that the mere sight of them raises red flags.

I think I'd be fairly self conscious about OCing, but it would make carrying much easier for me to not HAVE to conceal.

Part of this challenge is for OCers to act like they belong and always put themselves in the right light to convey a positive message about carrying. Afterall, it does no good to confirm stereotypes that 'gun nuts' really are angry and paranoid and could go off at any time, then of course, the streets would run red with blood and hopes of the children are squashed forever....:rolleyes: Really though, initially there would be a road that would need to be paved, so to speak. And that will take some polite conversations with the LEO who was sent out for a 'man with the gun' call. It'll also take education for the LEOs, departments and dispatchers to fully understand the laws and equally important, having dispatchers who are trained in receiving these 'man with a gun' calls who can educate the misinformed and probably scared "public" about the laws and relieve the confusion that will be there. The more people you have educating and immersing the general public to guns and lawful carry, the better chance there is of achieving the armed and polite society and public who doesn't bat an eye at them.

Ohh dear, I rambled. Last time I drink coffee at 10pm :o

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm kind of mixed about it.

Open carry really has no true benefit over concealed carry. You are proclaiming to the world you have a gun; making yourself the first target, rather than the wolf in sheep's clothing. It also gives a free ride to people that want to walk into a place with a firearm with bad ideas.

I'm more than content with concealed carry. I'd rather appear harmless, position myself behind cover, and engage someone than look like John Wayne.

I do feel that there needs to be greater awareness in the public of firearms. One based on logical fact rather than fear mongering and Hollywood. That would do alot for us.

Bob Loblaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    I'm kind of mixed about it.

Open carry really has no true benefit over concealed carry. You are proclaiming to the world you have a gun; making yourself the first target, rather than the wolf in sheep's clothing. It also gives a free ride to people that want to walk into a place with a firearm with bad ideas.

I'm more than content with concealed carry. I'd rather appear harmless, position myself behind cover, and engage someone than look like John Wayne.

I do feel that there needs to be greater awareness in the public of firearms. One based on logical fact rather than fear mongering and Hollywood. That would do alot for us.

Well that's personal preference, but the meat is in the constitution. Just as the constitution applies to free speech it does to open carry. Just because someone taking advantage of their rights makes you (hypothetical you) uneasy doesn't mean it should be restricted. And as far as giving someone a free ride, so what if the ride ends the moment they take action. Face it, the good guy will always be one step behind, but if our populace was armed, the critters one gun would be no match for the patron/employees arsenal all pointing back at him. And on that note, if I was given the right to open carry, I'd be packing soo much heat it'd make the NRA uneasy. I'd have a pistol everywhere they make a holster, and a samurai sword across my back... I'm half joking there, but who cares if it makes them uneasy? I can understand not wanting to make yourself a target, but that presumes we're dealing with smart and brave critters, which is contrary to my experience.

Oh also, if your interested in joining up with some pro OC'ers, hook up with the Texas Citizens Defense League. It may not seem like much, but it'll do way more for the cause than signing some stupid petition, also write your local representative, governor, hell, whomever you think'll listen http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm And try to make it legible, perhaps you are needed to offset my tinfoil hat letters.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I guess when you really think about it, it's better to have the choice, and right, to do so and choose the better solution (concealed). That makes more sense to me than not having the right.

Thieves are opportunistic, the idea of attacking someone and taking their wallet is no different than them attacking you and taking your externally carried firearm. It's like wearing a wallet on the outside, but I guess if you have five guns it makes it kinda pointless for them to attack you for one, haha.

DopaVash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    I guess when you really think about it, it's better to have the choice, and right, to do so and choose the better solution (concealed). That makes more sense to me than not having the right.

Thieves are opportunistic, the idea of attacking someone and taking their wallet is no different than them attacking you and taking your externally carried firearm. It's like wearing a wallet on the outside, but I guess if you have five guns it makes it kinda pointless for them to attack you for one, haha.

When you look at it from this point, you really have to break down the criminal psyche tho. Why does someone rob someone else? Generally for a very liquid value or something that's going to bring a high yield easily. Is attacking someone for their pistol really worth it? You could get a gun from the deal, but you could also get shot.

I see what you're saying, but I really don't believe that anyone is going to mug someone for their fire arm. The risks are way too high. Criminals typically prey on the meek, not the prepared. Not to mention, with all the retention systems out there these days, it'd take a criminal that's pretty well versed in holsters to be effective. Thats just not something I see happening very readily.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Guns are an easily stolen commodity worth alot of money on the street.

I just don't see the logic in carrying externally, there is no benefit besides maybe getting to the gun a bit quicker, but you lose so much in surprise value.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I've started to wonder about the element of surprise. The mere fact that an attacker would be surprised he had a gun pulled on him tells me the attacker initially saw said person as an easy target. Which helps further the point they like easy targets. Doesn't an OC gun say "hard target" in some sense?

What I've always thought when I saw someone with a solid holster and some firepower strapped to their hip was, "They look capable". And for the sake of irrelevance, we'll simply toss out the other thing I'd think of 'wow, that cowboy is hot!' :o

I agree, guns are a good value on the streets. If dope dealer doesn't take guns, only cash, he goes to the next guy who gives cash for guns. As someone who's been burglarized, guns go fast!

DopaVash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    I suppose you're right about guns being easily sold. But I still side with shorts that wearing a gun immediately labels you and the people around you as "Hard Targets."

Top Bottom