• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Man_from_Michigan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    Texas Hill Country
    Hey all, I am finally getting to move to Texas! Are there many people that carry open in Texas? I am from Michigan, and have a CPL there. Have carried in Mi. for 8 years. Open carry there is legal, but not to many folk do it. The family made a move to Delaware last year interim before coming here to Texas. In Delaware they are an Open Carry state as well. And I have seen 6 or 7 guys carrying open. I ask them if they are bugged be the Police, and or, civillians. Answers varried, but for the most part they open carried without problem. I plan on getting my CPL there in Texas anyway...but just curious about Open Carry. thanks....paul
    Target Sports

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Open carry of handguns is not legal.
    Open carry of rifles is legal. (But you will get hassled, almost guaranteed. Just avoid the big cities...)

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Yeah, it's a bit shocking that Texas doesn't allow general open carry of handguns in public (even with a license) while most states do, including far more progressive states. We are working to change that of course. In the meantime you can OC on your own property or while hunting, target shooting, etc.

Man_from_Michigan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    Texas Hill Country
    Yeah, it's a bit shocking that Texas doesn't allow general open carry of handguns in public (even with a license) while most states do, including far more progressive states. We are working to change that of course. In the meantime you can OC on your own property or while hunting, target shooting, etc.

Thanks for the reply. Ya, I was floored to see that! As soon as I move there, I will join the fight to get that turned around. Crazy....

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    We don't have a CPL. It's a CHL.

You can open carry in a few limited circumstances. Generally, if you're on your own property, hunting/fishing/sporting when it's commonly used or on your way to/from, traveling.

I OC when fishing and when I drive to Austin or the like, and I've never been hassled for it, but your mileage may vary.

Tired Retired

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    DFW Area
    With Texas being a "shall issue" state, I am not worried about not having open carry. Its better not to advertise in my opinion.

Just my two cents...

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    With Texas being a "shall issue" state, I am not worried about not having open carry. Its better not to advertise in my opinion.

Just my two cents...

*facepalm*
    Dude, I wouldn't OC much either, but it should bug you that we can't because IT'S OUR RIGHT TO DO SO.

Man_from_Michigan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    Texas Hill Country
    *facepalm*
    Dude, I wouldn't OC much either, but it should bug you that we can't because IT'S OUR RIGHT TO DO SO.

Man, I'll tell ya. That is one of the things that has taken me by surprise. Naive as it may sound, I really thought Texas was the "place to be" if you were a Gun enthusiast, and Hunter. Geez, in one trip to this forum during my first day on here and a couple questions....that was all straightened out for me. I mean,,It's still Texas!!! But certainly a bit more restrictions on handgun carry than I thought. And I had no idea that hunting here was so limited. It's all my fault for ASSuming....but did knock the breath out of me. I will adapt and overcome. And I wasn't thinking folk were walking around with Colt's on their belt walking through town. I have a Concealed Carry License for Michigan. So, I will just take the Texas version, and join the cause. Thanks for the replies everyone!!

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Yeah not to make this a hunting topic but hunting down here is a PIA. Love everything else about the state though.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I think OC is up again for debate this session. I for one hope it passes, although I doubt I would OC unless in some rural areas possibly while hunting or the like. I just think it would be good if for nothing else than to clear up the very confusing laws about when and where a person can OC.

Radioman93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Texas
    Hey all, I am finally getting to move to Texas! Are there many people that carry open in Texas? I am from Michigan, and have a CPL there. Have carried in Mi. for 8 years. Open carry there is legal, but not to many folk do it. The family made a move to Delaware last year interim before coming here to Texas. In Delaware they are an Open Carry state as well. And I have seen 6 or 7 guys carrying open. I ask them if they are bugged be the Police, and or, civillians. Answers varried, but for the most part they open carried without problem. I plan on getting my CPL there in Texas anyway...but just curious about Open Carry. thanks....paul

Welcome from another Michigander...

Yeah the laws down here are a bit different from back home. But give them a good read and you should be good to go.

What part of the state are you moving to? There are some good groups that get together and shoot often in and around the bigger metropolises. And then if you go to the Other Areas section of the Hometown Forum you will find examples of the fun that is Hicksville Gun Range. That place is a blast, literally, and kinda centrally located. Sorta.

But Anyways, Welcome to Texas

Radioman

Man_from_Michigan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    Texas Hill Country
    Welcome from another Michigander...

Yeah the laws down here are a bit different from back home. But give them a good read and you should be good to go.

What part of the state are you moving to? There are some good groups that get together and shoot often in and around the bigger metropolises. And then if you go to the Other Areas section of the Hometown Forum you will find examples of the fun that is Hicksville Gun Range. That place is a blast, literally, and kinda centrally located. Sorta.

But Anyways, Welcome to Texas

Radioman

Thanks Radioman! Well, my Wife is flying out in about 7 hrs from now as I type this (Thur. 11/1) morning. She will be looking at three houses in 3 different towns. They are in Dublin, Stephenville, and Lipan. Looks like Hicksville is 1.5 hours from Stephenville. So, sounds like I will be checking out that range. Looking forward to the move. But not all the packing, sorting, and just the stress involved in moving this far. It will be worth it though, I'm sure. I am in this forum, and will be sure to check out all my possible venues for shooting. BTW....is there a timeline one must adhere to when moving to Texas in regards to calling themselves a "Texan?" Not sure if this is a "Born Here Only" type monicer, and sure don't want to step on any toes. Thanks......paul

velo99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Amarillo
    I think the time limit is 20 years & the ability to add "fid'n to" into you speech without sounding forced.
    Welcome to our great state.

Top Bottom