DSC00769.jpg
    Target Sports

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    I open-carried this on a recent deer hunt on a ranch in south Texas. The only situation where I'll open carry. It's a 5" S&W .38, loaded with wadcutters for any snakes that hadn't found a place for the winter.

DSC_1903.jpg

What I usually carry around people. Deep concealment is the only way to go; it stops any negative comments and allows you to make a decision to intervene (or not) based on the situation and your possible tactical advantage. No, I don't have a light, 45 rounds, three tactical knives, gas and a back-up gun. If I need all that I'll probably stay home.
    Bob

DSC_1923.jpg

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I was told that generally, if you do an accidental flash and a LEO see's it, they'll just give you a little heads up and MAYBE ask to see your card. But you never know if you'll do it around the wrong person and have things escalate, so it's best to try and avoid that at all costs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I was told that generally, if you do an accidental flash and a LEO see's it, they'll just give you a little heads up and MAYBE ask to see your card. But you never know if you'll do it around the wrong person and have things escalate, so it's best to try and avoid that at all costs.

So why is an off duty cop or detective any safer then a citizen thats hiding a sidearm? A spider in or outside a hole is still a spider.

It seems that many CCW holders, subscribe to that it's better to hide the sidearm.

If you leave the house with a sidearm. You should have already bumped the awareness level. Situation awareness, environment awareness. To include level of carry. Mag in pistol, no round chambered? Or round chambered, hammer back?

I noticed the other day, after my girlfriend made a comment to me. About why I always walk to the back of a small convenience store, before going to the front. I also caught myself counting people in the store. Approx, age, gender, who belongs to what group(family)

I also catch myself turning my head to see who's behind me at walmart. I sit with my back to the wall at restaurants. I still count heads when Iam there too. The first thing I look at when I meet someone, is their hands. I also watch people for hand movement to their waist line or pocket. Nobody(most), comes within my sight, hearing, or smell range, without being "Scanned" for a possible threat.

Know your back stop.******

This may sound strange. I consider it some form of mild PTSD from working in a prison. If I see a person or not. If they come to within 5' feet of my back. I get a chill like someone just walked over my grave.

Next time your at walmart or where ever. Notice just how much people are absolutely clueless about the people around them. Like they are walking to the bathroom in their home.

Know your environment. Know where, when, and how to escape harm. Expect a threat in a clam, progressive manner. Have a plan on what youre gonna do if the threat happens. Be prepared to do what is necessary to defend yourself.

I just don't see how a pistol on the inside or outside detracts from all the above. If your not aware of your environment, CCW or open....won't make a difference. You'll already be dead. With an undrawn pistol.

Also adsorb the concept that you may need to lose the sidearm. If someone bigger then you succeeds at getting a hand on it, it maybe time to throw the pistol out of range.

This scenario was brought to light by a Harker Heights Peace Officer. He was involved in a fight over his sidearm. He determined that he would be able to overcome the threat without the sidearm. And he stood a worse chance of survival if the suspect did indeed get the firearm. So he threw it.

Expect EVERYTHING. Open or concealed. Practice it until it becomes habit.

Last edited:

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio

An accidental or incidental exposure is not illegal

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

MR2Aaron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Does the rule about not wearing a black belt with brown shoes apply to holsters?

If open carry became commonplace, I could see rules eventually developing for things like that. It might actually matter in certain company.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Does the rule about not wearing a black belt with brown shoes apply to holsters?

If open carry became commonplace, I could see rules eventually developing for things like that. It might actually matter in certain company.

Rules for haberdashery apply. If a person can't tie a half windsor knot, with just enough tail, 1/2 over belt buckle. Gig line correct. He might want to ask others what color go's with what.

If a person has no clue about West Texas style dress. Don't even try it. You'll end up looking like a drugstore cowboy.

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Rules for haberdashery apply. If a person can't tie a half windsor knot, with just enough tail, 1/2 over belt buckle. Gig line correct. He might want to ask others what color go's with what.

If a person has no clue about West Texas style dress. Don't even try it. You'll end up looking like a drugstore cowboy.

WTF is "haberdashery"?

I have no idea how to tie a Windsor, either. (No, I don't need to learn, I'll never own a tie and if I do, it'll only be tied once.)

preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    WTF is "haberdashery"?

"Rules of haberdashery apply" is a nice way of saying "Don't dress like a buffoon and I won't treat you like a buffoon." Before anybody says you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, picture a thug with his pants hanging below his ass and his boxers in the breeze.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom