• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justa2e2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    San Antonio
    Hello All,

I have just recently moved to Texas about 8 months ago. I have gotten my CHL and have been carrying ever since it has showed up in the mail. I know I can open carry on my property while I am mowing, pulling weeds (thanks wifey), and diddly daddling around but what about at my friends house? If I'm at my friends property and he has given me permission to open carry as he open carries all the time on his property is it legal?
    Texas SOT

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    No, only on property under your control.

My curiosity has been peaked. What if said property owner gave you a written notarized statement declaring you an actor for the property? As an actor you would have control of the property until noted otherwise by the owner.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I am a college student who lives in the house I grew up in, owned by my parents. Can I open carry in my house or on my lawn, even though i don't technically own the house, but have been living there forever? lol

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    I think it you can open carry with permission from property owner. Two situations here: 1. You live in a subdivision and everyone is open carrying in the back yard. 2. You live on a 1000 acre ranch and everyone is open carrying in the back yard. Wait as I am typing this there is I think that if you are shooting or hunting you can open carry on others property. I guess it would be hard to justify in a subdivision back yard (unless suppressed .22). Interesting question. If you go to a gun shop most employees open carry. I would say yes it is ok to open carry on private property with owners permission.

Satyrnine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Austin
    Hello All,

I have just recently moved to Texas about 8 months ago. I have gotten my CHL and have been carrying ever since it has showed up in the mail. I know I can open carry on my property while I am mowing, pulling weeds (thanks wifey), and diddly daddling around but what about at my friends house? If I'm at my friends property and he has given me permission to open carry as he open carries all the time on his property is it legal?

You can on your property, but I'd advise against it. All it takes is one complaint and the police will be out in force.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I think it you can open carry with permission from property owner.

As pointed out, NO.

You have to meet one of the conditions in PC46.[02 or 15] to carry a handgun on or about your person without a CHL. Property owners giving permission, is not one of them.

Do we really have to talk about carving the Turkey?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control

Devil's advocate: by being granted access to someone else's property, do I not have some degree of control over that property?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

Devil's advocate: by being granted access to someone else's property, do I not have some degree of control over that property?

No.

Guys and girls, this is not difficult.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Walmart grants me access to their property, you think that means I am in control of it?

As stated, this is not difficult. We all know when we are in control of property we do not own.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I think it you can open carry with permission from property owner. Two situations here: 1. You live in a subdivision and everyone is open carrying in the back yard. 2. You live on a 1000 acre ranch and everyone is open carrying in the back yard. Wait as I am typing this there is I think that if you are shooting or hunting you can open carry on others property. I guess it would be hard to justify in a subdivision back yard (unless suppressed .22). Interesting question. If you go to a gun shop most employees open carry. I would say yes it is ok to open carry on private property with owners permission.

I hope you don't ever plan on doing this.....

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    There is a guy in my jurisdiction who mows his lawn with his Kimberly on his hip and wearing a gas mask, lol.

You saw me? ;)

I do imagine my neighbors laugh at me when I mow my yeard after about May. I tend to not stop for water breaks, so I wear a camel pack and a boonie hat to keep the sun off of my bald head and neck.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Walmart grants me access to their property, you think that means I am in control of it?

As stated, this is not difficult. We all know when we are in control of property we do not own.

Yes, I get it. I was too vague in my question, because I know there are times when I am granted access to property that I do not own, yet have 100% control.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    One who acts for another; one who attendeds to another's business; a manager or agaent.

By definition of the Texas penal code, since that is the subject the question is involving:

§ 1.07. DEFINITIONS. (a) In this code: (2) "Actor" means a person whose criminal responsibility is in issue in a criminal action. Whenever the term "suspect" is used in this code, it means "actor."

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    You saw me? ;)

I do imagine my neighbors laugh at me when I mow my yeard after about May. I tend to not stop for water breaks, so I wear a camel pack and a boonie hat to keep the sun off of my bald head and neck.

Lol.....he's a buddy of mine....first time I saw it, I just started laughing. Then he explained his allergies with grass, lol......like a Jr apocalypse now, lol.

Top Bottom