Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    border war zone EL PASO TX
    Guns May No Longer Be Concealed

El Pasoans Firing Back Against Proposed Changes

Martina Valverde-KFOX Morning News Reporter
    Posted: 2:10 am MDT April 29, 2011Updated: 3:27 am MDT April 29, 2011
    EL PASO, Texas -- The Texas House Committee has passed a bill that would change the way guns are carried in public.
    The bill known as the "open carry" law would allow only license holders to carry their weapons in plain view. It however, does not change where they can carry them and the rules for getting a license would not change either.
    The Texas House Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety voted 5-3 to remove the concealment requirement from the concealed hand gun.gun law.
    Supporters of the bill said it would deter crime, but opponents and some El Pasoans said it creates potentially dangerous and intimidating situations.
    "I know I would be a little freaked out if I saw someone walking around with a gun, but I mean the whole thing is about protection so I can understand where the motivation comes from, but I think there could be another solution," said Jose Reyes, of central El Paso.
    The bill is still in the early stages, now moving on to the entire house for consideration, where many El Pasoans are hoping it stays.
    "I really think it would be frightening to see people just carrying guns and not really knowing why they have it or for what purpose," said Melanie Mesa, of central El Paso.
    Texas legislators are also considering changing gun laws that would allow students and professors to carry guns on college campuses.
    Venture Surplus ad

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Boy that funny!
    What are they doing with that gun, OMG???
    How about the people in El Paso Who Conceal Carry? What are they doing with that gun?
    Frankly, it aint none of their business. If people want to carry for defense reasons, so what?
    Criminals will hide their guns. I dont think criminals will really want to display their criminal intentions.
    Besides, who gets to make the choice if you carry your gun open or concealed? Shouldnt it be you?

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    I'll keep on a toting concealed with my pistola but I will open carry the AK47......

Now thats what im talkin about. Im a rifle kind of guy myself. I love 1911's but I just dont like carrying handguns.
    I would rather carry my 12 gauge or AR15. Im not really a AK person though. I see AK's as anti freedom and AR's as liberators.

1911-A1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Lewisville
    Ya dig. I know this isn't the past...but...the old west was always "Open carry"
    Jose Reyes is a yella belly and Melanie Mesa is a nosey yella belly

Dear Melanie,
    We have it because of our right to keep and bear arms and our purpose .... will be determined at high noon.

1911-A1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Lewisville
    Ok...seriously though.... if you have a CHL/OCL and you are walking...somewhere

Concealed:
    Person looks like they are up to no good but you don't know if they are armed. If they are.... you gotta dig your shit out.
    Open Carry:
    Person(actually a criminal) looks like they are up to no good but you don't know if they are armed. If they are.... you got the drop on their ass.
    Person is carrying openly..You see the sidearm...if they start looking suspect... at least you know what you are up against and if they see you,
    they may wuss out and think about living to die another day.

OR
    They are like you and you just got yourself another range buddy.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I'll keep on a toting concealed with my pistola but I will open carry the AK47......

lol why not do that NOW

:)

Ok...seriously though.... if you have a CHL/OCL and you are walking...somewhere

Concealed:
    Person looks like they are up to no good but you don't know if they are armed. If they are.... you gotta dig your shit out.
    Open Carry:
    Person(actually a criminal) looks like they are up to no good but you don't know if they are armed. If they are.... you got the drop on their ass.
    Person is carrying openly..You see the sidearm...if they start looking suspect... at least you know what you are up against and if they see you,
    they may wuss out and think about living to die another day.

OR
    They are like you and you just got yourself another range buddy.

I like this line of thought.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Criminals are going to break the law anyway. If I was a criminal I'd be carrying concealed, license or not.

And Jose and Melanie, if you don't like the idea of people having guns, maybe living right next door to a warzone isn't such a good idea for you...

angel71rs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    El Paso
    If this passes, I'd still opt to carry concealed. I wouldn't care if others open carried, but I'd bet the cops would get a lot of bogus "man with a gun" calls.

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people have irrational fear of firearms. e.g.: My nephew's MIL expressed an interest in learning to shoot. I recommended the Safety & Proficiency course EPCC gives once a month. Good course and she would be allowed to use EPCC's nice indoor range after taking it. I told her I'd let her shoot some of my pistols so she could get a feel for what she might like to get for herself. She said ok, and asked if I had a CHL, I told her yes.

She asked if I was carrying, I told her I had my Kel-Tec 380 in my pocket. She asked if it was loaded, I said yes (added a DUH in my mind). Her behavior immediately changed. I asked her what was the matter, she said being so close to a loaded gun made her nervous! And this is from someone who wanted to learn to shoot. Like I said, irrational.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    If this passes, I'd still opt to carry concealed. I wouldn't care if others open carried, but I'd bet the cops would get a lot of bogus "man with a gun" calls.

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people have irrational fear of firearms. e.g.: My nephew's MIL expressed an interest in learning to shoot. I recommended the Safety & Proficiency course EPCC gives once a month. Good course and she would be allowed to use EPCC's nice indoor range after taking it. I told her I'd let her shoot some of my pistols so she could get a feel for what she might like to get for herself. She said ok, and asked if I had a CHL, I told her yes.

She asked if I was carrying, I told her I had my Kel-Tec 380 in my pocket. She asked if it was loaded, I said yes (added a DUH in my mind). Her behavior immediately changed. I asked her what was the matter, she said being so close to a loaded gun made her nervous! And this is from someone who wanted to learn to shoot. Like I said, irrational.

I think we all know people with that kind of impression. People who dont understand or know anything really benefit from the basic firearms "mechanics" lessons. Show them how the gun works, what makes them safe and how to handle them safely. And yes, by all means make sure they understand what that hole in the end of it is for and how to control what comes out of it.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I saw the thread title and thought, "Now why in the world would we need an Open Carry Debate Bill?" LOL What kind of law would that be? You can only debate open carry on Tuesdays and only during a full moon... and never at dusk.

Sorry, just thought the title was funny.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Now thats what im talkin about. Im a rifle kind of guy myself. I love 1911's but I just dont like carrying handguns.
    I would rather carry my 12 gauge or AR15. Im not really a AK person though. I see AK's as anti freedom and AR's as liberators.

Mr Redneck, I enjoy ALL of your posts and generally agree with them, I have an AK47, an AR15, and a Galil, not to mention an SKS,wish you and I were neighbors so we could burn up some ammo out back every day...You'll do th ride the river with !

Top Bottom