DK Firearms

Open Handgun Carry in Texas? If not, WHY not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atlas Thug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2013
    Big FTW
    I understand that Blind Snipe, made that assertion, not opencarry.org.
    having the option of Unlicensed open carry does show
    a state to be more favorable in my opinion, whether silly or not.
    And Glad to hear that you support Cons Carry.
    Idaho, Arizona, Wyoming and Montana are doing just fine with it and so would
    Texas...
    Remember we are talking about OC for Handguns, not rifles...
    I know rifles can be OCed, but I dont care to do that.
    Txinvestigator, I never blamed instructors for anything.
    I am one as well...
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Even with OC a background needs to be done.You would not want a criminal type legal to OC would you?

Do you think that criminals aren't already carrying guns? Background checks and other various legal/legislative apparatus do nothing to physically restrain a determined person from doing whatever they choose to do.

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    Do you think that criminals aren't already carrying guns? Background checks and other various legal/legislative apparatus do nothing to physically restrain a determined person from doing whatever they choose to do.

The laws that make us feel safe in fact do nothing to actually makes us safe.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW

Every piece of gun legislation I used to support keeps getting shredded. Background checks were something I was a big believer in and a system I thought was necessary until I found out that

- Almost no one gets prosecuted for straw purchases
    - The Navy Yard shooting in D.C. of all places (Secret Clearance, no issues buying a shotgun despite a history of violence)

Apparently, background checks are just another measure that only affects the law-abiding. At the same time it did stop Adam Lanza from buying a gun, but seeing as how he just killed someone else for theirs I'm not sure I'd call that a "win".

gatorbait51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2013
    Even with OC a background needs to be done.You would not want a criminal type legal to OC would you?

Why would they? And they don't bother with a background check to carry their ghetto glocks concealed either. So, your background check argument bounced .

gatorbait51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2013
    [sarcasm]. Wow, this thread has been an interesting fresh perspective[/sarcasm]

Rather than state the obvious again and complain, his about a thread that encourages people to vote, contact their legislators, and take real action.

Just a thought.

BTW, Texas generally proscribes the carry of handguns at all. Out of the exceptions, more allow open carry. I know the OP realizes that, so we should cease telling folks that Texas does not allow open carry. We should say the truth. OC proponents want unrestricted open carry. Nothing wrong with that.

And don't blame instructors. I have been a CHL instructor for a decade and taught well over 1k people. I support OC.

Louisiana, where I am now living , has open carry. A couple of weeks ago, we had a crime thwarted by an open carrier in New Orleans. The OC/CC is silly. These have to co exist. Texas just recently eased off the "printing " which is, in my opinion, a step in the right direction. Louisiana does not mention printing , or , if so, fairly recently. Rarely, outside of Port au Prince du Nord ,is an open carrier bothered. Rarer still is a CCW holder bothered for printing. The OP had the point made that it is silly as hell for the great State of Texas to continue th OC ban on sidearms. It should become as normal and natural as anything else on a toolbelt. It's high time here that my birth state stop this nonsense. Time for you all to vote out the scoundrels who will sell your safety and your rights on the false alter of "common sense progressive feelings "

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Louisiana, where I am now living , has open carry. A couple of weeks ago, we had a crime thwarted by an open carrier in New Orleans. The OC/CC is silly. These have to co exist. Texas just recently eased off the "printing " which is, in my opinion, a step in the right direction. Louisiana does not mention printing , or , if so, fairly recently. Rarely, outside of Port au Prince du Nord ,is an open carrier bothered. Rarer still is a CCW holder bothered for printing. The OP had the point made that it is silly as hell for the great State of Texas to continue th OC ban on sidearms. It should become as normal and natural as anything else on a toolbelt. It's high time here that my birth state stop this nonsense. Time for you all to vote out the scoundrels who will sell your safety and your rights on the false alter of "common sense progressive feelings "

Texas didn't "ease off" printing. It wasn't illegal before and is not illegal now. There was nothing to ease off of.

gatorbait51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2013
    Texas didn't "ease off" printing. It wasn't illegal before and is not illegal now. There was nothing to ease off of.
    Very well then, if this is so, then why have we seen several postings in various forums mentioning this as well as the response from police agencies?

So, please, if I am misinformed, do please explain why these things happened knowing printing was not illegal?

gatorbait51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2013
    Interesting first post. Not really.

An introduction and friendliness go a long way here.

Here's your intro. The poster made a fallacious statement. I answered it . I'm friendly enough, just have never suffered fools or foolish statement gladly. Yes it applies to me as well.

As far your need to chastise me, perhaps you might wish to investigate and follow your own advice .

Do have a nice day.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Very well then, if this is so, then why have we seen several postings in various forums mentioning this as well as the response from police agencies?

So, please, if I am misinformed, do please explain why these things happened knowing printing was not illegal?

You are misinformed. Show me one case where someone was prosecuted in Texas for printing. It isn't even in our Penal Code, nor has it ever been.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I found this elsewhere and thought it was worth sharing...

There is a simple test the police could use if someone claimed "that guy over there has a gun, I can see it through his shirt."

"Was the gun an auto or a revolver?"

"Was it black, blue, silver, or what color?"

"Were the grips wood or plastic?"

If the person can't answer any of those questions, then they didn't "see" a gun!! They saw "a suspicious lump" which isn't the same thing.

mikehoy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2013
    I was searching for an answer to a specific question and found this forum and joined it today. My question concerns the law about open carrying on your own property. I have a Texas CHL and have wondered if it is legal to carry openly while in my yard - for instance while mowing my lawn. Or if I have my weapon holstered but not concealed while inside my home, do I have to conceal it when someone rings my doorbell and I go to answer the door? If it's someone I don't know, they have the right to leave If they feel uncomfortable but can they call the police on me?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

What things? Please be specific. Also, can you show the law that made printing illegal? Does it define printing?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Here's your intro. The poster made a fallacious statement. I answered it . I'm friendly enough, just have never suffered fools or foolish statement gladly. Yes it applies to me as well.

As far your need to chastise me, perhaps you might wish to investigate and follow your own advice .

Do have a nice day.

you pop in here with not even a hello how ya doin, are rude, and then get defensive? Yeah, that is appropriate.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I was searching for an answer to a specific question and found this forum and joined it today. My question concerns the law about open carrying on your own property. I have a Texas CHL and have wondered if it is legal to carry openly while in my yard - for instance while mowing my lawn. Or if I have my weapon holstered but not concealed while inside my home, do I have to conceal it when someone rings my doorbell and I go to answer the door? If it's someone I don't know, they have the right to leave If they feel uncomfortable but can they call the police on me?

You should start a new thread, really. Your answer is in penal code 46.02.

But yes, you can open carry on your own premises any way you would like. Premises, for purposes of 46.02, means real property. It has other definition, but it is not relevant to your question.

Someone can call the cops on you for anything. Making someone uncomfortable is not something the cops can do anything about.

Top Bottom