ARJ Defense ad

Open Handgun Carry in Texas? If not, WHY not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I don't remember where, but I read a report done in a study at several prisons. Most cons that had been convicted of committed muggins, armed roberry, and similar crimes, would try to determine if the victim was armed or able to defend themselves or if someone was around that would defend the victim. If so, they passed nearly every time. Even when they were armed too. They did not rethink strategy, they abandoned for defenseless targets. Armed targets or anyone around that is armed is the last thing they want.

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    If OC makes him move to someone else, that's not really solving anything, just making some one else's day a bad one.

Which encourages others to think about their own personal protective stance. Not a bad thing after the first few "examples" to the other sheep that yes, they do need to kick the wolf vs. trying to become more of a sheep.

Good discussion. I'd probably be more likely to open carry vs. concealed, given a choice, but I'd also be the one doing it with some sort of retention holster. I'd like to say it'd all be for comfort... but there's certainly something to "active deterrence" that plays a part. At that point, concealed carry would become the norm, for me, for more "formal" scenarios where the visible presence of a firearm would be a social detractor, awkward, etc. (where I'd just carry a pocket gun anyway).

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    At what expense?

None, other than an OWB holster.

A bad guy is out to do bad things.
    If OC makes him move to someone else, that's not really solving anything, just making some one else's day a bad one.

If the weapon is concealed and I can neutralize because of a tactical advantage, We've all won.

Everything we do to avoid being a target potentially points a criminal in the direction of someone else who might make an easier target.

It may sound cold, but I would prefer a BG look at me and move on than attack me and force me to defend myself. If I see someone in immediate danger and I am in a position to intervene, I will (assuming it is the right thing to do in that situation).

Will I look weak so that I will get attacked instead of having the BG move on the the next poor, unprepared fellow? Not a chance.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    One other point that gets pounded by the opposition to OC folks.

Last time I checked the constitution protected attention whores and those who make us feel uncomfortable and everyone else equally.

If the real issue is with them and not OCing then efforts should shift to outlaw those who are different and want to attract attention as another matter not gun right related.

As for folks with ugly people phobias that don't like the reality of the looks that the majority of gun owners have and expect a pretty supermodels that you see on TV selling their bodies with the product you all need a life representing them you need get out more.

Stop calling names like neck beard and basement dwellers those who support our gun rights just because they don't fit a predetermined pretty picture.

Last edited:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    RbMFdIr.png

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    One other point that gets pounded by the opposition to OC folks.

Last time I checked the constitution protected attention whores and those who make us feel uncomfortable and everyone else equally.

If the real issue is with them and not OCing then efforts should shift to outlaw those who are different and want to attract attention as another matter not gun right related.

As for folks with ugly people phobias that don't like the reality of the looks that the majority of gun owners have and expect a pretty supermodels that you see on TV selling their bodies with the product you all need a life representing them you need get out more.

Stop calling names like neck beard and basement dwellers those who support our gun rights just because they don't fit a predetermined pretty picture.

Typical liberal logic. Don't like one thing? Censor/ban it.

Oh boo hoo, open carry and guns make people feel uncomfortable. This is America. GET THE **** USED TO IT! Don't infringe on my freedoms.

good post, frio

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I don't remember where, but I read a report done in a study at several prisons. Most cons that had been convicted of committed muggins, armed roberry, and similar crimes, would try to determine if the victim was armed or able to defend themselves or if someone was around that would defend the victim. If so, they passed nearly every time. Even when they were armed too. They did not rethink strategy, they abandoned for defenseless targets. Armed targets or anyone around that is armed is the last thing they want.

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

Never go into a fair fight in other words. And they say criminals are stupid...

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    Never go into a fair fight in other words. And they say criminals are stupid...

Criminals are just predators.

And, all predators, two-legged, four-legged and winged go for the weak and infirm -- the easy mark. It is not worth it to them most of the time to expend energy in a battle when they can just "take" what they need from the weak members of the population.

Perhaps there are some criminals that are like trophy hunters and would purposely target the finest and strongest in the population. I sure haven't heard much about them though.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Cunning and inteligent are not the same. If they were intelligent, they would not be in prison. Even at or a little above min wage, i still had more overall and way better quality of life than the best criminal i ever personally new. Taking advantage of the weak or disarmed like a bully would, only takes cowardice and cunning, not intelligence.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    I posted this on another forum. CCing it here as I sum things up.

I'll debate the tactical merits of OC vs CC just like some debate the effectiveness of 9mm vs 45 acp. By opposing OC and not pushing for it in TX though it's like volunteering to keep a ban on 9mm and 45 acp ammo to win a debate.

If you don't think those who are OCing rifles represent you than I challenge you to go out and do it yourself.

If you think those who OC are attention whores or worse you have forgotten the constitution protects the rights of attention whores and worse and it's liberal bigotry to suppress their rights.

I currently live in a state, having moved from TX last year, where there is unlicensed OC of handguns and rifles. No restrictions on holsters. I can OC legally anywhere I can CC without a license save school zones. Let me tell you reality is more peaceful than you'd imagine.

TX is surrounded by states where it's legal to OC the fact that nothing is going wrong there highlights how paranoid and hoplophobic these fictional scarry stories are.

Anyone think that once constitutional carry is passed in TX things there will get normal and life will go on with FEWER protests that involve guns as a centerpiece?

Last edited:

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    I currently live in a state, having moved from TX last year, where there is unlicensed OC of handguns and rifles. No restrictions on holsters. I can OC legally anywhere I can CC without a license save school zones. Let me tell you reality is more peaceful than you'd imagine.

This is the absolute reality. Nice to hear someone else say it.

Polarbear6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Central Texas
    I posted this on another forum. CCing it here as I sum things up.

I'll debate the tactical merits of OC vs CC just like some debate the effectiveness of 9mm vs 45 acp. By opposing OC and not pushing for it in TX though it's like volunteering to keep a ban on 9mm and 45 acp ammo to win a debate.

If you don't think those who are OCing rifles represent you than I challenge you to go out and do it yourself.

If you think those who OC are attention whores or worse you have forgotten the constitution protects the rights of attention whores and worse and it's liberal bigotry to suppress their rights.

TX is surrounded by states where it's legal to OC the fact that nothing is going wrong there highlights how paranoid and hoplophobic these fictional scarry stories are.

Anyone think that once constitutional carry is passed in TX things there will get normal and life will go on with FEWER protests that involve guns as a centerpiece?

Well said

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom