APOD Firearms

Open Handgun Carry in Texas? If not, WHY not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • godum

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    Thanks txinvestigator, I stand corrected. I have always been told by TDPS that if the (buldge, lump, print), under the garment looks like a handgun to a normal, reasonable sperson, that it was a violation of the statute. I taught chl classes from 1995 through 1997. Guess I have not evolved with the changing statute.
    Guns International

Gopher711

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I made my assessment from the many gate guards i see while chasing oilfield work and not directed at the Private Investigative security sector . And as I stated , I have come across many that Open Carry with their " XXXX Security " badge on their chest but cannot properly even write down / Record my info when I check in to enter most locations ...Just figured if "they " could pass whatever test is needed for OC I sure as hell could too ....sorry for striking a nerve on some as this was not my intent .....

Gopher711

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is what I have found on the subject : If you have a CHL looks like most requirements are met , just take the training course ? or am I missing something else ?
    Basic requirements for Armed Security guards in Texas:
    You must be at least 21 years old (18 years old if you have an honorable military discharge)
    United States citizen or legal alien
    Valid social security number
    No felony convictions or any crime involving the illegal use of weapons
    Mental competency
    Drug Testing
    Successfully pass a criminal background check
    Fingerprint cards (2)
    Passport photo
    Texas driver’s license
    Level II certificate of completion
    Successfully complete Level III classroom training & firearms training
    Training
    Commission officers must have completed level II Basic security guard training. This training may be given by hiring company as long as the curriculum is in accordance guidelines set for by the Texas Department of Public Safety.
    Firearms Training
    Armed security officers in Texas are called commissioned officers and they must complete and pass a level 3 training program, which consists of 30 hours, given by a level III certified instructor. Form PSB38-A must be submitted with application. Search here for a training course near you.
    - See more at: Armed Security Guard Training in Texas | Security Guard Training - Your Security Guard Training Resource

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This is what I have found on the subject : If you have a CHL looks like most requirements are met , just take the training course ? or am I missing something else ?
    Basic requirements for Armed Security guards in Texas:
    You must be at least 21 years old (18 years old if you have an honorable military discharge)
    United States citizen or legal alien
    Valid social security number
    No felony convictions or any crime involving the illegal use of weapons
    Mental competency
    Drug Testing
    Successfully pass a criminal background check
    Fingerprint cards (2)
    Passport photo
    Texas driver’s license
    Level II certificate of completion
    Successfully complete Level III classroom training & firearms training
    Training
    Commission officers must have completed level II Basic security guard training. This training may be given by hiring company as long as the curriculum is in accordance guidelines set for by the Texas Department of Public Safety.
    Firearms Training
    Armed security officers in Texas are called commissioned officers and they must complete and pass a level 3 training program, which consists of 30 hours, given by a level III certified instructor. Form PSB38-A must be submitted with application. Search here for a training course near you.
    - See more at: Armed Security Guard Training in Texas | Security Guard Training - Your Security Guard Training Resource

I think I see where you are going with this, but it won't work. If you are thinking about taking classes and getting your level III security license, and then you'll just be able to OC all you want wherever you want, it doesn't work like that. Txinvestigator is a private security instructor and very knowledgeable on this subject. I'm sure he can give you the specifics as to why not.

PappyUSA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Rosenberg
    I'm for “licensed” OC however I would never OC myself simply because I don't have eyes behind my head, and I'm not as young and stout as I was when I was younger. I would be an easy target for a crack head or other genetic miss print standing behind me while I'm in line to pay for something at a mini-mart. This situation makes it dangerous for everybody else in the vicinity if my gun were to be grabbed. And, if I ever do have to pull my gun, I want it to be a complete surprise.
    However, on the other side of that coin is the recent restaurant robberies in the Houston area where innocent unarmed people have been shot. The restaurants are being hit because they’re soft targets. My thinking is that if there were a few OC'ers scattered around in that restaurant that cowards would be less likely to come in and start shooting up the place.
    BTW:
    I just found this forum a few days ago and really like the intelligent conversation taking place here. So you may have to put up with me for awhile.
    :flag:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think a change in public attitude would make the largest difference in terms of crime deterrence. When gun ownership is no longer socially portrayed as a "dirty" and undesirable thing by the mainstream media and popular culture, and when we actually have widespread mainstream media and political encouragement for people to be responsible and protect themselves, and when we continue down that path, I think we can see things change drastically in this country. A great example is Keenesaw Georgia's city ordinance that was passed in 1982, which for the most part required that every household have a firearm pretty much unless legally ineligible to do so. Their crime rate is substantially below the national average, and continued to decline substantially, up until the past few years when I believe they've had a small increase in crime.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Forum Join Date: Oct 2013
    Post Count 2

Second post and he is already in favor of more gun control laws for Texans. Texans have NEVER been required get a license to OC. No need to start now. Screw that and anyone trying to make it happen.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well, even tho most people could pass the Texas shooting test with a sling shot it would be nice to know that the OC'er at least has some basic skill with what ever gun they are carrying and hopefully not a felon.

They couldn't own a gun if they are already a felon so it would be illegal for them to OC anyways. The license would only effect those who obey the law in the first place(the ones we want to carry).

PappyUSA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Rosenberg
    Forum Join Date: Oct 2013
    Post Count 2

Second post and he is already in favor of more gun control laws for Texans. Texans have NEVER been required get a license to OC. No need to start now. Screw that and anyone trying to make it happen.

Being new on this forum has nothing to do with common sense. There are many people that cant handle a gun safely and some people are stupid enough to play with them. I for one would be nervous around some people OC'ing guns they don't know how to handle. Just as I am around unlicensed car drivers.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Being new on this forum has nothing to do with common sense. There are many people that cant handle a gun safely and some people are stupid enough to play with them. I for one would be nervous around some people OC'ing guns they don't know how to handle. Just as I am around unlicensed car drivers.

How many NDs were there at the Alamo OC event this week? How many have there been since Texas became a state?

"Common Sense" says back it up with proof it is needed as opposed to biased opinion.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Anyone who can legally own a firearm in Texas can carry one in their car and it hasn't caused a rash of vehicular NDs.

Besides the fact that for most the CHL course info is forgotten as soon as the class ends and teaches little in the way of firearms handling.

Tell me how it will make any difference in a persons actions or who Gould set this arbitrary standard to exercise a right.

PappyUSA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Rosenberg
    On the surface the thought of more gun laws is in an of itself offensive to most people in the gun community because we've had to put up with a lot of crap from the left wing of government. However, there was a time when OC was legal everywhere in this country. But as the towns got bigger with more people in them and a small percentage of stupid people started doing stupid things causing innocent people to get killed the towns had to do something so most of them outlawed guns within town/city limits.
    In my opinion If OC is to last there needs to be some sort of licensing, training, and qualifying to help to some degree to insure the safety of others. The thought of loosing an OC license just may deter most people from doing something careless. Most of us drive cars that will do 100 mph or more but most of us don't for fear of loosing that drivers license.
    And yes, I know licensed OC would be punishing everybody for the stupidly of the few, but this is an evil that we will one day face.
    There was also a time when you didn't need a driving test to drive a car, but things change and governments are always quick to see a cash cow.

Even an idiot can see that most of you disagree with me but it's just my opinion and it dose seem to provoke thought.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    On the surface the thought of more gun laws is in an of itself offensive to most people in the gun community because we've had to put up with a lot of crap from the left wing of government. However, there was a time when OC was legal everywhere in this country. But as the towns got bigger with more people in them and a small percentage of stupid people started doing stupid things causing innocent people to get killed the towns had to do something so most of them outlawed guns within town/city limits.
    In my opinion If OC is to last there needs to be some sort of licensing, training, and qualifying to help to some degree to insure the safety of others. The thought of loosing an OC license just may deter most people from doing something careless. Most of us drive cars that will do 100 mph or more but most of us don't for fear of loosing that drivers license.
    And yes, I know licensed OC would be punishing everybody for the stupidly of the few, but this is an evil that we will one day face.
    There was also a time when you didn't need a driving test to drive a car, but things change and governments are always quick to see a cash cow.

Even an idiot can see that most of you disagree with me but it's just my opinion and it dose seem to provoke thought.

Society in 2013 is a completely different society from 50 years ago. Likely due to the massive expansion of easily available training, aided by technological advances and the age of social media. Also, I would say standards in terms of training and safety have improved SUBSTANTIALLY over those past few years. What was acceptable 50 years ago, is no longer acceptable behavior today (in terms of gun handling, quite the opposite in other areas of course). There are still plenty of morons and unsafe people out there, however it is tolerated to a lesser and lesser degree than it likely was 50 years ago. I'm just pulling the "50 year" number out of thin air, as a healthy span of time, but I'm sure you all get the point.

What we need is not government mandated "safety", as everything government mandated eventually gets screwed up in some manner or another. I hate this word, considering the context in which it is typically employed, but we should be looking to implement some "social engineering" of our own. People are free to create advocacy groups, non-profit ORGs, etc. We could be encouraging people to seek out training, helping them understand why, and helping make the resources more and more available to as many people as possible. Wouldn't it be great if we had PSAs on mainstream TV, suggesting people participate with the CMP, NRA, GOA, Appleseed, etc. and get themselves to a training class? The possibilities are limitless. That, to me, is a far better route to go than attempting yet again to allow the government to exert city, county, state, or federal control over what should be a matter of SELF control.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Half the drivers on the road shouldn't be there, but they damn sure got licensed.
    Don't ever tell me I need government permission to own or use a tool in defense of me and mine.
    It is my right.

Top Bottom