Patriot Mobile

Open Handgun Carry in Texas? If not, WHY not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Government licensing of anything is a frickin joke.

Constitutional carry + intrastate law pushing back on NFA is what we need.

My level of training and method if carry is none of anyone else's business. I'm liable either way if I accidentally shoot you.

Freedom...deal with it son!
    Venture Surplus ad

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    In my opinion If OC is to last there needs to be some sort of licensing, training, and qualifying to help to some degree to insure the safety of others.

You are entitled to your opinion, but the facts completely contradict it. OC has been going in Texas and other states for hundreds of years. There is no evidence unlicensed OC is a safety problem. When was the last time an an unlicensed OC'er harmed anyone?

PappyUSA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Rosenberg
    Well, perhaps I shouldn't have used the word “License”. That little word seems to have attracted a lot of venom and sarcasm which is understandable. But, there are first time gun buyers out there with there first gun that have no idea how to use and carry them in a safe manor. These are the people that I worry about. And yes they are legally liable if they shoot an innocent person but suppose the shooter can't bring back the dead and has no assets to sue for. And lets assume that the innocent person that got shot strongly objects to being shot by someone who cant bring back the dead and has no assets to sue for. Don't the people at least have the right to expect that someone carrying a gun in a densely populated area at least know how to handle a gun. Many first time gun buyer now days did not grow up in an environment with guns and have never even handled one before. I strongly object to these people carrying a gun in a densely populated area without attending some sort of safety class first. It doesn’t even have to be done by the state, I would be happy to see it done by the same people that give the CHL classes. Most states require some sort of hunter education training course before a person can hunt. Why not do the same for people carrying a gun in a densely populated area with some exemptions for Military, ex-military and LE etc.

And yes I did deserve the flaking for using the “L” word but I have to stand my ground on safety classes. I started all my children out on guns and they know how to handle them but there is a whole generation of young people out there that did not have the benefit of being trained by there parents.

You all had every right to throw turds at me for using the L word and I don't take it personal but I believe I'm right and of course, it's just my opinion.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    younggun:
    I guess that would be up to the same people that give CHL classes.

There is also a state fee involved.

Basically, driving up the cost to exercise a right. Do you have to pay a fee for free speech? Is there a fee on the third, fourth, fifth, etc amendments?

Why should the second be any different?

Last edited:

PappyUSA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Rosenberg
    There is also a state fee involved.

Basically, driving up the cost to exercise a right. Do you have to pay a fee for free speech? Is there a fee on the third, fourth, fifth, etc amendments?

Why should the second be any different?
    Well yeah, you bring up valid points that I don't have answers for and the state would be quick to recognize a cash cow when they see it just as they do when you buy a gun in Texas there are taxes and a fish & game fee I think.
    Some of this stuff can be handled at the election booth. I remember that we once had a governor that wouldn't pass the CHL law who was voted out and then when Bush got in he couldn't sign it fast enough.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Well, I feel that the NRA would be better qualified than myself to outline a safety course.

The problem is the NRA wouldn't be the one creating the course. It'd be up to the States and politicians.

As they represent you as a voter you would have some input so I ask here for an idea of a course that would make you comfortable enough to allow the person once completed to open carry.

The political process though would create a class full of compromises and red tape though in the end may not look anything like your intentions.

You'd also need to make the course profitable for instructors or there'd be not one instructor to teach it.

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk

PappyUSA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Rosenberg
    The problem is the NRA wouldn't be the one creating the course. It'd be up to the States and politicians.

As they represent you as a voter you would have some input so I ask here for an idea of a course that would make you comfortable enough to allow the person once completed to open carry.

The political process though would create a class full of compromises and red tape though in the end may not look anything like your intentions.

You'd also need to make the course profitable for instructors or there'd be not one instructor to teach it.

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk
    That’s an interesting question. I would think that just giving the state the power to mandate a test or course outlined by the NRA (which I believe they already have one) would be good enough without letting the state actually design it. Austin is already full of California thinking liberals whose wife’s wont let them have a gun in the house. I think it would be better to let the NRA outline the test and have the state mandate it.

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    The government wether state or fed is in enough if our business. The 2nd amendment is in effect
    They need to enforce the laws against the criminals and leave us law abiding citizens alone. We should have the right to open carry if we wish. Just my 02. Cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

PappyUSA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Rosenberg
    The government wether state or fed is in enough if our business. The 2nd amendment is in effect
    They need to enforce the laws against the criminals and leave us law abiding citizens alone. We should have the right to open carry if we wish. Just my 02. Cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Yes I agree with you on that point. Our Gov has step beyond it's boundaries and that can only be fixed over time at the voting booth by people who will think, communicate, and vote.
    But:
    Quite some time ago I was at the American Shooting Center in SW Houston and when they gave the cease fire there was a younger person still at the line fumbling around trying to clear a 1911 in condition one. The range master was quick to spot it and showed him how to do it safely. This is very basic knowledge that he should have already had. These people exist and there out there.

PappyUSA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Rosenberg
    Several years ago I bought a Glock at Carter's and to there credit before I was allowed to take possession of the gun the salesman showed me how to strip it down and put it back together. I already knew how to do this but he went through it anyhow. I then had to sign a form stating the demo was given. I think it's some sort of thing between them and Glock, who knows. But the point is that even if I was a soccer mom that had never seen a gun before they made sure that I knew how to look at the extractor and tell if there was one in the pipe and how to disassemble and reassemble the gun. This is a great place to start.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Should be left up to local gov.
    County at most.
    I dont frequent densely populated areas.
    I do frequent sparsely populated areas.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No. And not on your property or out in the boonies.

I'm mostly talking about those new to guns carrying them in populated areas.

What if someone new to guns chooses to car carry in the metroplex or down town Austin?

Top Bottom