Open Handgun Carry in Texas? If not, WHY not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PappyUSA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Rosenberg
    Should be left up to local gov.
    County at most.
    I dont frequent densely populated areas.
    I do frequent sparsely populated areas.

I'd be happy if my own county mandated it and let other counties do as they wish. I rarely leave my own county much anymore anyhow.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have no beef with that.
    a: Part of his castle
    b: Not walking around in public
    c: Probably wont be screwing with the gun wile driving

A. His car is no different than his waistline.

B. he is driving around and parking in public places.

C.He's gonna park sometime, maybe move the gun from console to safe. Why is Joe A less likely to fiddle with it than Joe B.

The point I'm making is that your opinion is based on superficial and unfounded feelings[I/]. They are dishonest and will betray you.

Thinking about it rationally the man with a gun in a holster is no more dangerous than the man with a gun in his console/under the seat/under his leg/in the glove box/etc. the only difference is that you can see one of the guns and because you can see it you feel less safe.

Would you care to guess how old you have to be to legally carry a loaded pistol in the car?

And yet with all these new/young/old/inexperienced/untrained citizens carrying loaded firearms in their cars we aren't hearing about all the NDs it has caused.

These same "dangers" were used to try to stop the CC program and we have seen that all of those fears were unfounded.

In fact Constitutional open carry has already been tested in other states with out a rash of deaths and NDs.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Don't the people at least have the right to expect that someone carrying a gun in a densely populated area at least know how to handle a gun.
    no, they don't... Are you going to start talking about people's right to "feel" safe next?

The hardest part of freedom is letting the other guy have theirs :p

PappyUSA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Rosenberg
    I can see promoting classes but not requiring them. Two very different things.

And there it is!
    A well thought out solution that convinces me that perhaps I should rethink my views.
    Government mandated safety classes dose indeed offend the Constitution.
    Promoting classes dose not and will probably accomplish the same thing.
    This is exactly my opinion of how our House and Senate work. Everybody sits around grunting and throwing turds at each other till someone comes up with a solution.
    But, in order to recruit more anti gunners to our side I think it will require less turd throwing and more thinking.
    The very existence of obamacare proves the our Constitution is in greater danger than it has ever been in. And if our guns are to survive, we must recruit anti-gunners, many of whom are actually afraid of us.
    Anyhow:
    I apologize for my improper use of the “L” word and the members that took me to task for it are well within there rights to point it out. In my life I've had to own up to many thing and I'm sure this wont be the last.
    Be well, be safe, & God bless..

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    In not buying this.

Safety classes have been promoted for some time in the firearms community and you jump at the idea like its something new. Like you were just waiting for a snip of someone showing support for your case.

That combined with 16 of your 17 posts being in this thread gets my BS meter buzzing.

PappyUSA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Rosenberg
    In not buying this.

Safety classes have been promoted for some time in the firearms community and you jump at the idea like its something new. Like you were just waiting for a snip of someone showing support for your case.

That combined with 16 of your 17 posts being in this thread gets my BS meter buzzing.

You don't think that maybe me coming to the conclusion that my thoughts were wrong had something to do with my conclusion?

And, over the years I bought several guns at Carter's SW which is a large gun store and have never had a salesman try to steer me towards a safety course. So perhaps the courses aren’t being promoted in the right places.

You are entitled to you opinion as I am mine.

Rthib

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    I think what he's saying is that in MN, no signs have the force of law. You must be verbally told to leave.

Rthib, is there case law that supports that? From looking at only 624.714 Subd. 17 it seems that MN has a sign requirement kinda similar to our 30.06, only less wordy.
    https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.714
    Missed this question -

MN Statue has two parts. Reasonable request (which looks similar to 30.06) but if you read all of Sudb.17 it add, "may be ordered to leave".
    So two things have to happen. A sign and a verbal asking to leave or just a verbal asking to leave since it does both.
    So signs have no legal weight. They are meaningless.

The second important thing, is that MN law is under trespass. So a violation is a $25 fine.
    The whole 30.06 thing in TX is just bad. Like I said earlier, if I were going to change law, I would try and get that changed.
    Legislature could say - If a place as messed up as MN got this right, so should we.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You don't think that maybe me coming to the conclusion that my thoughts were wrong had something to do with my conclusion?

And, over the years I bought several guns at Carter's SW which is a large gun store and have never had a salesman try to steer me towards a safety course. So perhaps the courses aren’t being promoted in the right places.

You are entitled to you opinion as I am mine.

The last thing I need is to hear a spiel about a safety course every time I buy a gun. Maybe no one recommended one to you because you seemed to be fairly knowledgable on the subject already.

OTOH, I've seen many new shooters recommended to take safety courses or get some range time with an experienced shooter. In fact, almost every person who has said they were new and asked for advice gets this recommendation. I don't believe a gun store has any implied responsibility to judge and decide if a buyer should take a safety course or to even recommend one in the area. Plenty of crap stuffed in the gun case covering that already. There's also a book that will explain basic safety procedures and how the gun works in detail.

Atlas Thug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2013
    Big FTW
    HI guys,

Oh..and printing is illegal in the state of TEXAS. If u can see the outline of the firearm, it is illegal. As for open carry, I would like to have the option depending on the situation. No open carry was agreed to when the law was passed in 1995 so as to not offend the people that do not like guns.

WHO CARES about offending people?? Let's bring Constitutional Carry to TEXAS.
    If we are the Bad A-- State we claim to be, then let's quit being 'satisfied' with
    a 'little' freedom and go all the way.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    HI guys,

Oh..and printing is illegal in the state of TEXAS. If u can see the outline of the firearm, it is illegal. As for open carry, I would like to have the option depending on the situation. No open carry was agreed to when the law was passed in 1995 so as to not offend the people that do not like guns.

WHO CARES about offending people?? Let's bring Constitutional Carry to TEXAS.
    If we are the Bad A-- State we claim to be, then let's quit being 'satisfied' with
    a 'little' freedom and go all the way.

This has literally been beaten to death. Printing is not illegal, especially with the effect of SB 299.

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE
    HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license
    holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person
    under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,
    and intentionally [fails to conceal the handgun] displays the
    handgun in plain view of another person in a public place in a
    manner calculated to cause alarm and not pursuant to a justified use
    of force or threat of force as described in Chapter 9

But I definitely would like to see Constitutional Carry brought to Texas.

EDIT: Sorry Atlas, it looks like your quote did not work, and it was godum who spoke about printing, and he has since been corrected. Had to do some backreading!

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    This has literally been beaten to death. Printing is not illegal, especially with the effect of SB 299.

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE
    HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license
    holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person
    under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,
    and intentionally [fails to conceal the handgun] displays the
    handgun in plain view of another person in a public place in a
    manner calculated to cause alarm and not pursuant to a justified use
    of force or threat of force as described in Chapter 9

But I definitely would like to see Constitutional Carry brought to Texas.

EDIT: Sorry Atlas, it looks like your quote did not work, and it was godum who spoke about printing, and he has since been corrected. Had to do some backreading!

The bill you quoted is not the version that passed.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    My 2* aint worth much ...BUT !
    I see Security Guards with the IQ of a caliche rock ( if they even have a High School GED it was probably fixed ) that are able to OC because of some lame ass " Security Training Class " they attended by their employer that they probably no savvvy and slept thru ....Now why not let CHL's OC ??? is beyond me ??? So how does that work ? I go take a private security class and BINGO ! I can open carry too ??
    You have no idea what you are talking about. I am a CHL, Private Security and a TCLEOSE instructor.
    The class you have to take in Texas to carry as an armed security officer is 40 hours. That is literally 10 times what it takes to get a CHL. Before you go spouting ignorance, I suggest you take a second and think to yourself " Do I have a clue as to what I am about to speak about?"

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    PappyUSA-

I hope you understand the people who use this forum are often the most die-hard gun rights supporters you will ever know. We keep up on gun politics like most other people keep up on celebrity gossip. Right now, as you know, gun rights are under the heaviest attack they've been under possibly since the sixties thanks to this nation's inability to successfully deal with homicidal psychotics. We are aware that anti-gunners are using more refined and deceitful tactics as well. When have you ever heard an anti-gun advocate NOT say, "I support the Second Amendment?"

If you are being wrongfully suspected of being a "Plant" then I must say you are taking it quite well. If you really are a plant (which I doubt), well, nice try I guess. You admit you are re-thinking your position and that is admirable. So far I don't think anyone has pointed out that NM, AZ, AK, and one or two other states (I'm sure someone else knows) have completely unlicensed concealed AND open carry. And as I'm sure you know as well, those are hardly states with high rates of crime or gun negligence.

I had the pleasure of open carrying for a week in NM on vacation (in Roswell, no less!) If you ever vacation out of state, check the laws regarding open carry. If you get the chance to do it, try it out! I'm telling you, man- that flavor of freedom LASTS.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Maybe I am being a little overly suspicious, but I was seeing signs of tactics I've seen before and it raised the alarm.

As said before, many states are already doing unlicensed carry and things are working out fine. Many of the talking points against it are mirrors of arguments used against licensed CC, non of which had any evidence to support them. Pretty much the same situation we face today.

Too often we let "feelings" override evidence and common sense and it gets us extra red tape between us and our rights.

Top Bottom