• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have no idea on the legality but there is no reason to have an open bolt semiauto. Even full autos that are converted to semiauto usually switch to a closed bolt.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Open bolt is generally less accurate.

IIRC, open bolt semi auto is generally not legal because of how easy they are to convert but there are a few old open bolt semi autos floating around that are still legal.

Micro UZIs fall in to that category I believe.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I was flipping through Shotgun news and they had some sort of M249 SAW, but they had two different version. The open bolt one was for LE/Mil only and the closed bolt was for civilians. I'll try and post a pic in a bit.

The only machine gun I've ever shot was a M249 in the military which is an open bolt.

I'm not up on NFA items, not looking to buy one certainly, I was just interested in the mechanics and legality of the different modes of operation.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Are you referencing any type of firearm?

Is that in the federal firearm's laws?

BATF made a ruling in 1982 that semi-automatic open-bolt weapons are readily convertible to fully automatic fire, therefore such weapons manufactured after the date of this ruling are classed and controlled as fully automatic weapons (weapons manufactured prior to the ruling are grandfathered and are still considered semi-automatic).

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    BATF made a ruling in 1982 that semi-automatic open-bolt weapons are readily convertible to fully automatic fire, therefore such weapons manufactured after the date of this ruling are classed and controlled as fully automatic weapons (weapons manufactured prior to the ruling are grandfathered and are still considered semi-automatic).
    ?Open Bolt? Explained: A Tale of Two Uzis - The Firearm Blog

Yeah, got curious and found the above. Pretty interesting stuff.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Here. Apparently not actual MG but semi auto that is closed bolt as some of you mentioned above and understood what we were discussing before i did. Ad states "civilian legal" meaning non-NFA in this context.

Last edited:

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    What they said ^^

Most open bolt semis (any with a fixed firing pin built into the bolt) can be converted to MGs by just removing the disconnector. So ATF just said all of them are easily converted to MGs, grandfathered existing guns and said no more new ones.

Theres a few early Thompsons that were open bolt with hammers but no manufacturer wants to test the ATF about their ruling and open bolt guns are less accurate anyway.

On the first shot you can feel that heavy bolt lurching forward after you pull the trigger and tends to make your first shot go low.

Last edited:

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Here. Apparently not actual MG but semi auto that is closed bolt as some of you mentioned above and understood what we were discussing before i did. Ad states "civilian legal" meaning non-NFA in this context.
    These M249's are in name only. They use an HK trigger pack which would be convertible to F/A with a registered sear. I would be curious to know whether they use the 2 pin trigger pack, or the rear pin only that is required in all HK 9x semi-auto rifles that use these triggers packs.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've fired class three rifles and pistols but I've never really been into them. The way I learned about open and closed bolt FA was that open bolt is preferred to prevent a "cookoff" in a hot chamber/closed bolt.

Flash

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've fired class three rifles and pistols but I've never really been into them. The way I learned about open and closed bolt FA was that open bolt is preferred to prevent a "cookoff" in a hot chamber/closed bolt.

Flash

In the case of SMGs, I think it was preferred for simplicity.

Top Bottom