• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Figured I would go ahead and start this build thread. Picking up everything over the next month or so. Will post pictures and write up as parts come in.

Rifle:
    10/22

Purpose and goals:
    A lightweight and hyper accurate small game/ farm utility rifle, with a primary focus on lightness.

Stock:
    Hogue overmold, .920 barrel channel, OD Green

Receiver:
    Stock ruger

Bolt:
    Stock unit for now, Kidd coming later
    http://www.coolguyguns.com/10-22-bolt_p_25.html

Trigger:
    Kidd drop in unit
    http://www.coolguyguns.com/Ruger-10-22-trigger-job-kit_p_95.html

Barrel:
    Kidd lightweight 16" fluted and threaded, black finish
    http://www.coolguyguns.com/Ultra-Lightweight-Ruger-10-22-Barrel_p_138.html
    After doing some research, I decided to go with this due to reports on kidd having the best accuracy, price point, it isn't TOO lightweight, and the steel face where the bolt contacts won't get damaged or marred over time like an aluminum lightweight barrel would.

Optics base:
    You guessed it, Kidd, black finish, but the stock Ruger will do for now.
    http://www.coolguyguns.com/Scope-Base-for-KIDD-10-22-Receiver-_p_99.html

Optic:
    Still up in the air, will definately be a 1-4 to save on weight, this has my consideration:
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Bushnell-AR223-1-4X24-Riflescope-w-BDC-Reticle-T-p/ar91424.htm

These are the big components so far, there are a few smaller unamed parts, like bolt buffer and other pins and such. I will be ordering the barrel this friday. My goal is to have this done by my bday. What y'all think? Comments?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    DK Firearms

Last edited:

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    And I opened up this thread looking for one of these ...

giiicgwb-generation-three-critter-gitter-wide-body-photo-368356-s-1280x782.jpg

Critter Gitters - Building Custom Hunting Rig's for over 30 years.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I am sure you have your reasons for the Hogue overmolded stock, but in case you don't, i'll tell you that i absolutely hate that stock. I have one on a heavy-barreled custom 10/22, and it sucks. IMO, it feels like shit in the hand, and inarguably it sticks to everything. The only thing it's good for is on the bench, and only once you have it "locked in" on your target. I can't imagine using that stock for a rifle whose intended purposes are those you describe.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    I am sure you have your reasons for the Hogue overmolded stock, but in case you don't, i'll tell you that i absolutely hate that stock. I have one on a heavy-barreled custom 10/22, and it sucks. IMO, it feels like shit in the hand, and inarguably it sticks to everything. The only thing it's good for is on the bench, and only once you have it "locked in" on your target. I can't imagine using that stock for a rifle whose intended purposes are those you describe.

Actually, those reasons are exactly why I am going with it, lol. I have shot with one, and love the feel. I will probably be kryloning it, so that should help with the sticky-ness. Everything I have read suggested that for benchrest shooting, NOT to choose the Hogue, as there were better, but more expensive options. I would love to have a nice wood stock for it, BUT, as this is going to be a work horse, I would feel guilty dinging it up.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I didn't mean to imply that it was a good benchrest stock. I was only saying, that because of the tackiness, it won't move once you have it set up on bags or a rifle rest. It will also grab onto your clothing as you bring it up to your shoulder, and won't slide across anything (truck window sill, tree trunk/branch, blind window, etc) as you adjust the scope to the critter you're trying to git. LOL

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    I didn't mean to imply that it was a good benchrest stock. I was only saying, that because of the tackiness, it won't move once you have it set up on bags or a rifle rest. It will also grab onto your clothing as you bring it up to your shoulder, and won't slide across anything (truck window sill, tree trunk/branch, blind window, etc) as you adjust the scope to the critter you're trying to git. LOL

That is quite a good point!

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    What scope is that?

Also we are building about the same rifle it looks like. Im going all blacked out all Kidd components except with the horrible Hogue stock. That seems to be a love it or hate it stock with about 95% loving it. Its one of the cheaper parts of the build so im not stressed if i end up prefering something else down the line.

Top Bottom