• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    OC opponents, your opinions are respectfully noted from other threads.

Is that a subtle attempt to say, "stay the *&%$ out of this thread?"

I don't think I recall any actual opponents though; at least not here. Maybe some that don't feel it's a big deal and won't be driving to Austin to march and carry banners and signs, like me, but no one that opposes it. I'd actually like to see it happen if done right, but I think it'll take some time and massaging. We'll see once and if it gets sponsored and introduced.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Is that a subtle attempt to say, "stay the *&%$ out of this thread?"

I don't think I recall any actual opponents though; at least not here. Maybe some that don't feel it's a big deal and won't be driving to Austin to march and carry banners and signs, like me, but no one that opposes it. I'd actually like to see it happen if done right, but I think it'll take some time and massaging. We'll see once and if it gets sponsored and introduced.

Ya got me!

You're reply is right. I used "opponents" but I think that is not the word I needed. What's the word for "folks that support the idea but probably wouldn't do it themselves"?

Owens

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Levelland
    Question for the OC promoters: At what level is OC being promoted? It must fall somewhere between unlicensed/unregulated (Vermont style) to licensed and heavily regulated. What is OCO's position and what are they hoping to obtain? I have heard about the push but not many details on specific goals. Maybe I haven't read in the right places either.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    It's all on that site listed above. Including a copy of what is supposedly a draft bill that may or may not be what may or may not been introduced by a mystery Senator. At least a Rep in a letter did say it was a Senator that has actually introduced it.

Simple answer, unlicensed OC.

Owens

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Levelland
    JKTex,
    Thanks for the info. I obtained a copy of the draft bill and after reading it, I can see no provision for those that do desire at times to carry concealed. In fact it seems to contradict itself.

Just my initial reaction and maybe I read it wrong, after all I ain't no lawyer, but in one place, 46.035 appears to be repealed, making no unlawful places for concealed carry. Yet in 46.02 it makes concealed carry illegal.:confused:

Thanks again,
    Owens

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Unlicensed open carry doesn't have anything to do with concealed carry.

Concealed carry will still be licensed only, therefore as proposed, a person can legally carry open without a license but cannot legally carry concealed. Not sure that will fly and get support or if it'll be modified for now. Allowing open carry for CHL holders makes a logical first step but would require more laws to be changed in regard to concealed carry.

I think that for the most part is the same in most states.

DopaVash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    Unlicensed open carry doesn't have anything to do with concealed carry.

Concealed carry will still be licensed only, therefore as proposed, a person can legally carry open without a license but cannot legally carry concealed. Not sure that will fly and get support or if it'll be modified for now. Allowing open carry for CHL holders makes a logical first step but would require more laws to be changed in regard to concealed carry.

I think that for the most part is the same in most states.

Of all the folks who have contacted their reps about it, there have been far more positive replies than negative ones.

Most people on OCDO would be glad to have either, but would prefer unlicensed. I'm one of those. And OC would be better than none, but I'd much rather it be unlicensed. There's no point to it, as proved by many, many other states, and I don't want to have to wait 6mo for our state govt to say I'm ok to carry.

Jeff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    Hell I'm just hoping that the new administration doesn't attempt to legislate away our right to carry AT ALL. I'll hang on to my CHL for now but who knows what'll happen. Apparently there's already work being done to reinstate some sort of AWB that is worse than anything we've ever seen.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Hell I'm just hoping that the new administration doesn't attempt to legislate away our right to carry AT ALL. I'll hang on to my CHL for now but who knows what'll happen. Apparently there's already work being done to reinstate some sort of AWB that is worse than anything we've ever seen.

Don't fall for the Obama fear mongering that so many people have tried to spread. Obama has fully supported states legislating their own gun laws as it is now. I don't think you'll see a federal government taking away states powers. Everyone wants to look at his record, which was at a state level. I dn't care if he thinks all men should wear pink underwear on Monday's, if he doesn't have the power to make us, who cares what he thinks. :p

But it sure was exciting for people to try to make other believe he'd have that kind of power though!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

Actually, that is best even if unlicensed OC goes through. You'll still need the CHL for reciprocity purposes, and especially for CC occasions.

Jeff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    Actually, that is best even if unlicensed OC goes through. You'll still need the CHL for reciprocity purposes, and especially for CC occasions.

Oh yeah, I agree. I support the idea of open carry 110% but if given the option I would most likely continue to carry concealed most of the time. I personally don't like the idea of drawing any extra or unwanted attention upon myself so while open carry is tempting I'd still carry concealed in most situations. That's not to say that on occasion I wouldn't open carry which I'd love to do in certain situations if anything just out of mere convenience! IMO there's a time and a place for both open and concealed and Texas needs to get with the times and allow both, IMO.

But yeah, so long as there is a licensing system in place to carry concealed open or both, I will most definitely be licensed!

DopaVash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    I think so many of our 2A brothers have become exactly what we've fought against for so long: Knee-jerkers. Somehow they immediately worry that we want only open carry. Of course that's not true. We just want the Option.

kfriddile

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    Got a response in the mail today from my representative who I emailed about OC:

Dear Mr. XXXXX

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding sponsoring legislation that would allow the open carry of handguns.

I agree with you and look forward to discussing this issue when the 81st Legislature convenes in January.

Very truly yours,
    Brian McCall

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Got a response in the mail today from my representative who I emailed about OC:

Dear Mr. XXXXX

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding sponsoring legislation that would allow the open carry of handguns.

I agree with you and look forward to discussing this issue when the 81st Legislature convenes in January.

Very truly yours,
    Brian McCall

Excellent!

Thank you

MWells829

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    I went to the opencarry web site that is posting money raised for the cause. They mention the "overflow" from the DFW radio blitz. I'm in the DFW area and I have my radio on 12 hours a day. I can't say that I heard a single radio spot. Did any one else?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I went to the opencarry web site that is posting money raised for the cause. They mention the "overflow" from the DFW radio blitz. I'm in the DFW area and I have my radio on 12 hours a day. I can't say that I heard a single radio spot. Did any one else?

Can't say, but I think JTex posted a question to Mike asking which stations are running it in DFW area. Stand by

schertztx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    I think so many of our 2A brothers have become exactly what we've fought against for so long: Knee-jerkers. Somehow they immediately worry that we want only open carry. Of course that's not true. We just want the Option.

Just curious, what does Concealed Carry on Campus as an organization think of OC? Is there an official position from the group? or are you offering your own opinions while sporting an CCC avatar?

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Just curious, what does Concealed Carry on Campus as an organization think of OC? Is there an official position from the group? or are you offering your own opinions while sporting an CCC avatar?

I would hope that Concealed Carry on Campus as an organization would be focused on their purpose, not open carry or global warming or whole grain pizza crusts, just concealed carry on campus. :p

Top Bottom