• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which of these action types should I use?

• auto-loader

Votes: 5 38.5%
    • pump-action

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    I am toying with the idea of making an SBS via the Form 1 process.

Versatility being an important factor, I want to use a shotgun with removable barrels so I can also use it for hunting and clay-shooting.

While a double-barreled or lever-action shotgun may be novel, I'd prefer to use an auto-loader or a pump-action.

If you participate, please give reason(s) for your choice.
    Venture Surplus ad

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    You would likely be better off using a pump action so that you ensure it operates as intended whether you have a full length barrel or a shorter barrel.

Depending on the action, you may also be able to use the mini shells which would increase your number of rounds but likely will not function properly in a semi-auto.

Also a pump action ensures you can swap between 2 3/4” shells and 3” shells without issue. I have seen semi-auto shotguns designed for 3” shells become single shot when 2 3/4” shells are used in them since there was not enough oomph to operate the action.

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    Thank you.

I have no prejudice against pump-actions, but I've never hunted with one.

I was thinking something based the Remington v3 VersaMax or Black Aces Tactical Pro Series S, both auto-loaders that function properly with a range of ammunition (according to reviews).

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    GeorgeS,

IF I was going to make a SBS, it would be an O/U 20-guage double-barrel, as one of those can be REALLY a good bit SHORTER than either a PUMP or a SEMI-auto.
    (FWIW, IF I decide to cut down a SxS 20 gauge into a "shot pistol", I will have EL PASO SADDLERY make me up a custom "chest holster', that is rather like the WWII "PILOT'S RIG".)

My OTHER CHOICE, IF I wanted a more than 2 rounds SBS would be an "old school" Model 870 as I've NEVER seen a worn-out 870 & they shoot EVERY TIME.
    (Fwiw, a 870 cut down to about an INCH past the slide handle with or W/O a folding stock, or full-size stock is QUITE CONCEALABLE.)

You might also look at one of the "NOT a SHOTGUN", just a "FIREARM" & that looks like a "sawed-off", though it is NOT & doesn't need a tax stamp, by Mossberg or Remington.
    NO MORE than those NOT NFA "FIREARMS" cost, by the time that you pay for the tax stamp, you can BUY BOTH for NOT a lot more money.

NOTE: Once I get my TYPE 7 FFL, I will be delighted to BUILD you (or any other member of TGT) an SBS if you like, CHEAP.
    (Over the years of my LE career, I've "cut down" any number of shotguns for LEOs.)

just my OPINIONS, satx

Last edited:

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    mad-max-2-1981-970x545.jpg

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

grumper,

Ever since I saw ELDORADO (Starring JOHN WAYNE), I've "lusted after" a "SXS SHOT PISTOL" with hammers, like JAMES CANN's character bought/carried.

ADDENDA: As I've said elsewhere on TGT, I once "had the use of" a 12-gauge "shot pistol" that hid nicely under a jacket.
    While I never had to shoot any person with it, it STOPPED, without further bloodshed, any number of REALLY UGLY BRAWLS in the joints out on the county line. = ONE LOOK down the muzzles of that "hand cannon" changed any number of MEAN DRUNKS into people who actually WANTED TO GO TO JAIL.

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Thank you.

I have no prejudice against pump-actions, but I've never hunted with one.

I was thinking something based the Remington v3 VersaMax or Black Aces Tactical Pro Series S, both auto-loaders that function properly with a range of ammunition (according to reviews).

GeorgeS,

IF I was going to make a SBS out of a automatic shotgun, it would be made from a GOOD/USED 12 Gauge BROWNING AUTO-5.

Those LIGHT 12 shotguns seem to WORK FINE, even when cut down almost to the wood.
    (I've "known of" other SBS that did NOT ever function reliably, after being "sawed off" & were "a waste of money".)

just my OPINION, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    The Benelli 11724 is a factory entry gun. View attachment 233535

baboon,

TRUE but nonetheless I would NOT happily mess-up any BENELLI, when there are so MANY perfectly suitable WINCHESTER, REMINGTON, S&W & other "plain vanilla" pump-guns around.
    I've seen (quite recently ) such shotguns in SATX-area garage/estate sales for 150.oo or less.= I recently saw (& probably should have bought, as a spare/loaner) a used WESTERN FIELD 12 gauge pump in "OK" condition for 100 bucks cash at a nearby zip-code garage sale.
    (I truly HATE loaning out my GOOD firearms, though I sometimes have. = About 4 years before his passing in 2005, my Uncle Dutch borrowed a shotgun from me & "lost it over the side" on a fishing trip to Lake of the Pines. = He did NOT even offer to pay me for it, btw.)

LOANING firearms to friends/family is similar to what my much beloved grandfather used to say about loaning money to the same group of people: "Before loaning money to a friend, decide FIRST which would would like to have more."

BTW, I wonder how much MORE that that entry gun can be cut down & still be really usable?? = It's pretty compact as is.

yours, satx

Last edited:

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I'd recommend magazine fed, like a Saiga 12, VEPR, Kalashnikov USA, etc. A tubular mag is going to lose too much capacity. Alternatively, consider a bull pup with tubular mag(s) that's not SBS.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Mossberg has had mag fed 12 ga pump shotguns. I believe I have seen adapters you can add on your self as a kit. But, if you are wing shooting, is a box mag going to be a help or a hindrance ?

The box mag can limit you to certain cartridges (length) so you may loose versatility.

Keep it simple... and 870 or mossberg 500 action where there are lots of barrel and furniture options. The 870 may have a edge if you want to shoot the mini-shells and not have to have an adapter.

You can probably pick up a good beater 870 for cheap, file your form1 and when the stamp arrives go to town with it. I’d have a short barrel about the length of the magazine tube. A 12-16” rifled barrel for slugs, a longer barrel for trap,skeet,sporting clays and bird hunting. Clean it up, cerekote it and engrave the required info from your form 1 and have a blast with it.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I'd recommend magazine fed, like a Saiga 12, VEPR, Kalashnikov USA, etc. A tubular mag is going to lose too much capacity. Alternatively, consider a bull pup with tubular mag(s) that's not SBS.

Capacity adds weight & bulk. When I first got my 11724 I thought about a railed fore end, but didn't want the weight & bulk.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I didn't pay attention to the hunting thing.

I'd really recommend a separate hunting gun. The best SBSs, assuming you want it for defensive purposes, aren't going to have easily removable bbls.

There's not one SBS or shotgun that will be concealable, have large capacity, and interchangeable barrels.

I have SBSs, bullpups, & regular shotguns. My favorite at the range is a mag fed SBS.

Last edited:

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I didn't pay attention to the hunting thing. I'd really recommend a separate hunting gun. The best SBSs, assuming you want it for defensive purposes, aren't going to have easily removable bbls. I have SBSs & regular shotguns.

I don’t see why not with an 870. It would take less than 60 seconds to swap out a barrel on an 870, maybe even less than 30. Unscrew the cap over the magazine tube, then pull the barrel out from the receiver, place the new barrel in place, seat it and then re-apply the cap over the magazine tube. Granted it has been almost 30 years since I broke an 870 down for cleaning.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I don’t see why not with an 870. It would take less than 60 seconds to swap out a barrel on an 870, maybe even less than 30. Unscrew the cap over the magazine tube, then pull the barrel out from the receiver, place the new barrel in place, seat it and then re-apply the cap over the magazine tube. Granted it has been almost 30 years since I broke an 870 down for cleaning.
    An 870 SBS will let you change barrels easily. It will also severely limit you on capacity. That's the downside. Some would also say an SBS pump gun increase the risk of your hand slipping in front of the bbl while firing. I don't think that's a deal breaker but it's something to think about.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    An 870 SBS will let you change barrels easily. It will also severely limit you on capacity. That's the downside. Some would also say an SBS pump gun increase the risk of your hand slipping in front of the bbl while firing. I don't think that's a deal breaker but it's something to think about.

Ultimately it is what the OP determines he wants....Jut trying to help provide useful information that he can use to make a more informed decision.

Top Bottom