• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which of these action types should I use?

• auto-loader

Votes: 5 38.5%
    • pump-action

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Not mine but close enough. I mean, what more do you want? Tromix Saiga 12.

tromix saiga.jpg

Tonyt915

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2020
    Houston
    Benelli m1. It’s a proven shotgun for the field and they make factory 14” barrels to make it an sbs. With it being inertia you don’t have to worry about a gas system to mess up

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Always use a pump action on self defense shotguns. They dont jam and keeping a self defense shotgun loaded is the primary issue with using the platform, slows down ammo usage while still being faster than most can shoot accurately.

Beyond that, I've hunted with guys who seem to need a wheelbarrow full of ammo just to limit out when using semiautomatic models. They get lazy and think they are in a ww2 newsreel trying to shoot down kamikaze and fill the sky with lead, lol.

No I think the pump is the way to go and not for the "sound of the action" bs either. Though I have seen it do wonderous things to large groups of inmates.

prisondoc

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2020
    Converse TX
    Always use a pump action on self defense shotguns. They dont jam and keeping a self defense shotgun loaded is the primary issue with using the platform, slows down ammo usage while still being faster than most can shoot accurately.

Beyond that, I've hunted with guys who seem to need a wheelbarrow full of ammo just to limit out when using semiautomatic models. They get lazy and think they are in a ww2 newsreel trying to shoot down kamikaze and fill the sky with lead, lol.

No I think the pump is the way to go and not for the "sound of the action" bs either. Though I have seen it do wonderous things to large groups of inmates.
    True..... The sound of a round being chambered gets their attention.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    True..... The sound of a round being chambered gets their attention.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

prisondoc,

IF the sound of a pump-gun being pumped does NOT frighten the creep, he is likely DOPED TO THE GILLS & you have a REAL PROBLEM.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To ALL,

As soon as I get my Type 7 FFL approved/in I'm going to cut-down an old 20-gauge Model 870 (that I found at a garage sale) into what the SCOTUS in the MILLER decision called a "pistol like device".

Fwiw, I'm looking for a leathersmith to make me a LEFT-HAND chest holster that is rather like the WWII Aviator's holster for the SBS.
    (IF any of our members KNOWS a smith, who would like to tackle that task, please PM me with name/address/phone/email.)

yours, satx

prisondoc

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2020
    Converse TX
    prisondoc,

IF the sound of a pump-gun being pumped does NOT frighten the creep, he is likely DOPED TO THE GILLS & you have a REAL PROBLEM.

yours, satx

I meant in the context of a prison setting. The sound of a weapon being charged gets the attention of the filthy felons and 99% of the time causes the disturbance to cease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I meant in the context of a prison setting. The sound of a weapon being charged gets the attention of the filthy felons and 99% of the time causes the disturbance to cease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prisondoc,

In my experience in civilian/military LE, the same is TRUE in "the free world", too.
    (Long ago when I was a city marshal, I stopped any number of VERY VIOLENT & UGLY BAR BRAWLS by "racking the slide" on a pump & that action ended the problem W/O further bloodshed.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I voted pump - just because of reliability sake. Semi autos can be picky, but especially so when you start chopping the length - look how finicky short barrelled AR's get. The other thing is - with a pump gun you can more reliably run short shells like he Aguila mini's if you want to bump up capacity. A short pump gun is probably going to be limited to a 2+1 or 3+1 capacity depending how short you chop it.

My 2nd choice - and only for 2nd Kind of Cool factor - would be a chopped side by side ala Mad Max or like an old coach gun.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Old fogey's are gonna say pump. New fogey's are more likely to say semi. My old fogey dad just bought a 9mm revolver.....why?...because (according to him)....semi-autos are unreliable. It defies all logic but what can ya do besides scratch your head and move on. I vote semi. Pick one, make sure it's reliable with what you want to use in it. The gun doesn't know if it's being used in an emergency or not. If it's reliable, it's reliable. The notion that pumps "never" fail is complete horseshit.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Old fogey's are gonna say pump. New fogey's are more likely to say semi. My old fogey dad just bought a 9mm revolver.....why?...because (according to him)....semi-autos are unreliable. It defies all logic but what can ya do besides scratch your head and move on. I vote semi. Pick one, make sure it's reliable with what you want to use in it. The gun doesn't know if it's being used in an emergency or not. If it's reliable, it's reliable. The notion that pumps "never" fail is complete horseshit.

PinnedandRecessed,

And the notion that PUMPS are NOT a great deal more reliable ,in virtually any circumstance, than SEMI-AUTOS are has spent LITTLE time on the skeet/trap range,
    (FEW SA shotguns will do a 100 round "run" even under the controlled situation in a tournament W/O at least one STOPPAGE or FTF.)

SORRY but your opinion is simply WRONG.

yours, satx

hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    I voted Semi, Black Aces Tactical was taking old 1100's and reworking them into SBSs, absolutely beautiful.

Could really redecorate a room with one of those.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Cut down an A5 and yer going to hell.
    If you want to saw on a shotgun, find a jc higgins, a Ted Williams, any other "store brand" Mossberg or Remington clone.
    Leave the humpbacks alone.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Cut down an A5 and yer going to hell.
    If you want to saw on a shotgun, find a jc higgins, a Ted Williams, any other "store brand" Mossberg or Remington clone.
    Leave the humpbacks alone.

Vaquero,

I agree IF you are talking about the BELGIAN Auto5 but NOT so much about the Japanese-made ones.

yours, satx

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Diablo4151
    Top Bottom