DK Firearms

Opinions on Bersa / Fire Storm 380 as backup/concealed weapon?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ndAmendmentGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Hi folks. I'm new to the forum and was wondering if ya'll have any opinions (not that gun owners are particularly opinionated on hand guns right?) on the Bersa / Fire Storm 380 as a backup weapon or concealed handgun. I've heard some folks RAVE about the accuracy and feel of the gun even as compared to others significantly more expensive. Just wanted to get some more opinions before I make a decision.

My primary home defense hand gun is a Glock 22 but I just want something a bit smaller for concealed cary. Also hoping it might be a gun my wife would be able to handle (the Glock is just a tad too much for her) so she'd be more inclined to hit the range with me.

Anyway... nice to be hear and I look forward to hearing from ya'll.
    Venture Surplus ad

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    A few comments, and I am sure many more will follow to either agree with me, or tell me I dont know what I am talking about. First, do some googling, or go to your local rane and enquire about the OVERALL reliability of the Bersa pistols, much like high-point there will be some who swear theirs has never given them a single problem, but there will be others that say different. Keep in mind this is a pistol you will be carrying to hopefully not have to rely on to go bang every time anytime. Second, is your choice of caliber. .380 is in VERY short supply right now, I have seen boxes of ball, when available, fetch as much as $60 a box, hollow point much more. I, personally would not want to rely on a .380 as my primary carry weapon, as a backup okay. Also, the size of the Bersa, you can get a much smaller and easily concealed pistol chambered in .380 if you want to stay in that chambering, but for the size you could easily carry a 9mm in the same size pistol.... Why not look into a Glock 19 or 26, or the XD line in 9mm for your wife? All three are chambered in 9mm, the 19 is not much bigger than the Bersa and offers 16 rounds, the xd 17, and if memory serves the 26 is actually amaller than the Bersa and packs more of a punch....

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I've seen some that out of the box did not fire. I've seen alot of hard jamming, where the slide is locked with a live round in it, and other little issues.

The design of the gun is what makes them accurate, but accuracy is relative for a concealed carry gun. A flintlock pistol from 1750 is accurate enough for concealed carry.

My suggestion since you don't seem to own the Glock 22 yet, would be to get a Glock 23. The smaller frame still has a full-sized grip, good capacity, and would allow you to use one gun for both purposes. That just makes alot more economical sense than buying two guns.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I'm telling you DirtyD don't know jack sh................... Oh! Hey there DirtyD. DirtyD hit it on the head about the Bersa .380. They are good guns from what I hear. My uncle carries one as a back up while on duty as a LEO. But I would stay away from it personally, because of ammo cost and the caliber in general leaves me wanting more. Now here is wear I make the 9mm crowd mad. The 9mm is a good round, for a compact handgun. That is all the 9mm is good for IMO. <duck> .... <crash dishes breaking>...... I think that with a compact or full size 9mm you are far from under gunned. The reason I like the 9mm for a SC or a comp is that you can have a high cap mag in a small fairly manageable gun. the 9mm round is more than adequate for a defensive round, I think it is better suited to a small hand gun but that is my opinion, I talked to a friend of mine that is in Iraq for the second time that the 9mm will put an attacker on the ground with shot placement and possibly a double tap. So IMHO I would get what suits your needs and if it is for your wife get a full size, a compact maybe in 9mm, .40 or .357 sig (not a fan of that one either but another time) and let her go with that for now but a little .380 is to small and to hard to find bullets for. Just my $10 Happy shooting

AmirFazadh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Texas
    A big +1 to the ammo argument. It seems that these days, you need to shop for ammo, then find a gun to put it in, which is totally counter-intuitive. Unless you have a really good reason to have a .380 as a backup, such as having a bunch of .380 ammo, I would suggest getting a 9, a .40, or a .45.

Even in rifles, .223 is only starting to come back to the stores, so that has influenced my choice of a Swiss K31 as my hunting gun, as .308 is overkill for my purposes, yet the 7.5x 55 Swiss is the same Spitzer boat-tail bullet as a .308, packs almost the same punch at range, and is accurate as all hell. If I were to build an AR today, I would likely go for a 5.56 upper, or a 5.7FN. Perhaps even a 6.8, though I haven't seen a lot of ammo for that yet. I'd probably get a 91/30 or an SKS or AK for my next rifle.

As far as a .380 goes, I plan on getting a Ruger LCP as my backup, it is tiny, and pockets quite well. It is also a lot more comfy in my hand than a Kel-Tec, and the Tanfoglio-styled Bersa has a tad too much size to be a pocketable gun. If you are still hell-bent on .380, try one on for size...just my opinion, though...

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    The wife has one and we've never had a problem with it. It is way too small for my hands so I won't even try and shoot it if you have very large hands I would look more at a small frame wheel gun.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    To clarify my above post, I am not a fan of the Bersa pistols, I feel that quality is somewhat lacking.... I prefer Eastern European pistols (Glock, Springfield XD, Sig, HK) in anything other than .45, and for that I would stick with made in America (1911)....

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Had one, left me wanting more... The biggest issue I kept seeing on a Bersa forum I was on was, stay away from the aftermarket mags. there were lots of feeding issues with them on the forum.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    The Glock 26 is going to be thicker in width, but shorter in grip length... I dont have the exact measurements handy but google is king!

jsbcats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Kingwood
    I have a Bersa Thunder 380 from Academy. Really like it for the size and carry it in a ankle holster. Someone hit it right on the head about aftermarket mags. If it doesn't say Bersa on the side don't buy it. With some ammo, i've had the very last round not feed properly, but only with the mag I bought, not the one that came with it. That has been the only thing I've had act up on it. Monarch ammo works great in it. With the mag that came with it, it has work flawlessly.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    The Kahrs are great guns, the problem alot of people have with them is that their tolerances are VERY tight and they require a substantial break in period. I am going to be picking up a PM9 or PM40 for my "pocket gun".

MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    I have the Bersa thunder plus (double stack) and love it. After using it for a while now it is my main carry more often than not. Never failed to fire, feed or eject on me. Ammo is pretty readily available again down here in the valley too. The ONLY complaint I have is you have to watch as the slide has a tendency to rust , but not a major issue just something to watch. I would highly recomend this pistol to anyone due to my personal expiereince alone.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Thanks DirtyD...I imagine you will be picking one up before me, so I expect you to share your range report with us! When I get closer to my CHL arriving(cough cough) and as finances allow, I might look into one of those Kahrs as a pocket carry too.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Thanks DirtyD...I imagine you will be picking one up before me, so I expect you to share your range report with us! When I get closer to my CHL arriving(cough cough) and as finances allow, I might look into one of those Kahrs as a pocket carry too.
    I will do one better than that, hopefully finances will allow me to grab one by the end of summer (kids daycare is KILLING me) and you are welcome to give it a test run of your own....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I will do one better than that, hopefully finances will allow me to grab one by the end of summer (kids daycare is KILLING me) and you are welcome to give it a test run of your own....

Sounds good...my schedule usually gets real flexible as soon as someone wants to try out something at the range, so let me know :-)

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    While I have no first hand experience with the Bersa, I think there are many better options. SW J Frame comes to mind, as does Kahr (although opinions on the Kahr are all over the map and they are more expensive) But at least you get either a 9mm or 38 special, which are much better rounds than the .380, and currently much more available. You can find a nice J frame for around $425 these days. Sweet little revolver, that disappears in your pocket with the proper holster.

SW_OPM.gif

And the Kahr, also easy to pocket carry

MyE_op2.gif

Top Bottom