Texas SOT

Opinions on Bersa / Fire Storm 380 as backup/concealed weapon?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Life is priceless. A $100-200 difference between a Bersa and an actual good gun (sorry) is not even worth wasting time over. I would never trust my life to a Bersa. We actually had one returned back the next day because the trigger broke off on the first live shot they fired! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Sorry but, F that scheisse. Keltec, Bersa, Taurus 24/7 and Millenium Pro's, I would not and do not ever recommend any of those. For $100-200 more you have the following to choose from:

-Any subcompact Glock
    -Beretta Cougars, Px4 Storm Compact, 84, 85, Tomcat
    -Stoeger Cougar (even less expensive, but same quality as the Beretta and same gun)
    -Sig Pro (Sp2022, 2009, 2340) and P250
    -Sig P230/232
    -Sig P238
    -CPO Sig P228, P239, P245
    -Non CPO used older Sig (occasionally can be found ~$400-550)
    -3rd gen S&W semi auto (too many to list, all great guns and about the price of a Bersa if you look hard enough)
    -S&W M&PC series
    -Springfield XDSC
    -CZ 75, 85, 97, P-07, P-01, SP-01, and pretty much any other CZ
    -Steyr M9/M40 series
    -Browning Hi-Power
    -Walther P99, P99C, and PPS
    -Ruger LCP

And there are plenty of other good ones to add to that list, but I can't think right now. Seriously though, with a list like that, it's not even worth wasting time on a Bersa, Keltec or any similar gun. No offense intended to those that may own some of those guns, I just have not seen anything in my personal experience to instill confidence in me on trusting my life to any of those. With some of them, it's more a matter of QC issues, to where there are plenty of people that may get great ones that work perfect, though there are enough bad ones that it's really just rolling the dice.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I don't like Kahrs... Their front sights have a tendency to randomly break and fall off. We've sent our rental gun to the manufacturer to be repaired more times than I can think of.

I'd rather own a PPS which is twice the gun in my opinion.

jsbcats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Kingwood
    Whatever you buy, you've got to get out and shoot it and know its limitations. I like my Bersa and have put several hundred rounds through it and know what it can do. I thought about a LCP, shot it, hated it, didn't buy it. Thats just me. Thats not to say I rely on my Bersa for home defense. I have a Ruger SP101 and a Springfield 1911 for that. I just wanted something small that fit my hand and I was comfortable with.

Maxpower

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    As far as a .380 goes, I plan on getting a Ruger LCP as my backup, it is tiny, and pockets quite well. It is also a lot more comfy in my hand than a Kel-Tec, and the Tanfoglio-styled Bersa has a tad too much size to be a pocketable gun. If you are still hell-bent on .380, try one on for size...just my opinion, though...

+1 for a Ruger

lcp830_filtered.jpg

MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Well I guess pass me the hot sauce to eat this crow! Have had my Bersa Thunder Plus for a while now with no problems , posted that and went to the range......... 5 times I had a fail to feed today.Round jammed halfway in the chamber and needed a little extra "push" to get in. Allways on the last round out of the magazine but none the less it happened! Still the only time it has happened just wanted to let ya know though.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I was talking about how reliable my CZ 75 was at my level lll class and on qual day I had 2 jams almost in a row. A little rem oil and it was up and running again but a lot can happen in the 2 seconds it takes to re-oil that slide. I have sense switched to slide grease and have had no more problems. Try some slide grease I don't know where to get it anymore but it is worth tracking down.

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    High temp grease or lithium grease can be used and found at an auto supply, home depot, lowes, or other hardware store.

wayneside

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    haven't had any problems with the bersa 380...i have a bunch of friends who have picked them up and loved them as well. i would recommend renting one at a range to see how you like it...but i definitely recommend it and i carry one every day.

MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    I will look into it! I would REALLY hate to get rid of it as I love it for CC. It didnt start jamming until a box or two of cheap ammo had been put through it at the range so I think it is good. I'll be keeping a closer eye on it and keep yall posted.

Lobo_79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    ...Also hoping it might be a gun my wife would be able to handle (the Glock is just a tad too much for her) so she'd be more inclined to hit the range with me.

I had a Bersa, and I was actually impressed with. However, my wife didn't like it, instead she favored my S&W Model 431PD 32 H&R Magnum. She doesn't shoot a lot and she can't handle safely pulling back the slide on most of my semi-autos.

I have a couple of .22 revolvers she enjoys shooting regularly and I have to admit she's pretty darn good with them. It's great practice, ammo is plentiful, and now she makes a habit of regularly carrying the .32 H&R Magnum revolver because she feels comfortable with the design.

At the end of the day your wife really needs to be in on the choice of guns you're making on her behalf. I bought the Bersa thinking she would like that...and she didn't.

TexasHK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    Don't know too much about anything listed in the first post except the BERSA...I've handled and fired it, and was not impressed with reliability. If I had to trust my life to it, I'd look to a KAHR in 9mm vs. the Bersa .380, but I personally don't care for anything under a .40 S&W. If you want a small carry weapon to put someone down, look to a Springfield or Kimber carry 1911 in 40 or 45. Why go with a .380 when I've seen some Kimber Ultra Carry with Crimson Trace grips for under $900.

lance22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Minnesota, USA
    It's not a 1911, but every gun has it's place. A Bersa Thunder stoked with modern defensive ammo give you 8+1, pretty good odds that you or your wife will fare much better than you would with a cell phone and an eight minute wait.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Its what meets the eye, fits the pocketbook, fits the hand, carries reasonably snugly, and feeds and fires each and every time....There are both expensive and
    el cheapos that can and will do the job. Thats what this forum is for...discussion.
    Nobody;s an idiot for blowing big money on a good pistol , nor are they who buy
    cheaper models that shoot every time the trigger is pulled. To each his own....

Top Bottom