Join TexasGunTalk

Opinions on Lasers

Discussion in 'Optics' started by BJBK, Aug 29, 2008.

1. hoytinak

hoytinak Active Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    I had a set on my G23 but sold them shortly after I got them. I've got small hands, the G19/23 fits me perfect but when I added the CT it made the grips too fat for my liking. I really prefer the CT grips on other handguns that replaces the grip, just not on the Glock. (Another reason Glock should have interchangable back straps so CT can make a laser like the M&P for it. :cool:)

2. BluHog

BluHog New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Ellis County
    FWIW, I got my package from CT a day or three ago - there was no DVD. They are producing an updated one and said they'll send it when it becomes available.

3. Taxman

Taxman New Member

Oct 20, 2008

Got them on a G26, so far so good. Haven't found a holster that works though!

4. bertel

bertel New Member

May 3, 2008
    South Austin
    have a TLR2 on a G23 in the nightstand. I got it, about a year and a half ago, for about $200 from gunbroker.com. I just checked and there's nothing that cheap right now, but I don't regret the purchase.
    the light is bright as h3ll, and the laser permits me to remain focused on what's being illuminated and not have to wonder exactly where that front sight is pointed.
    The only beef I have with the TLR2 is the laser is below the light. It's too far from the center of the bore for any real diverse situations. I have it on my HD blaster, so I have it set for the farthest distance in my home (bedroom door to refrigerator). Any closer than that, I don't need much help. The light will be PLENTY. Like I said, "bright as h3ll".
    I've taken it to a friends house where we found that the light works out to about 150yds, and the laser can be seen past 200yds w/o too much difficulty.
    Oh, and good luck finding an accommodating holster for any of them. Been looking for a while for someone to accept anything on the TLR series.
    Though it's set back is in it's size, I wouldn't hesitate to put it up against anything of the same size.
    Good luck, the lasers have their place, just as much as they don't have their place. There's always going to be a "f'n cool!" factor, but for every "f'n cool!" you get from your friends, you're going to find a way that your pistol has been limited/changed for certain jobs. Depending on how much you like your money, it's a tough decision.

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine Active Member

May 6, 2014
    I've been into gun mounted lasers since they were not much more than cat toys.

For the last many years all my "defense guns", shotguns, rifles and handguns are equipped with good lasers, or better yet good laser/lights.

I have a backyard range where I can shoot low light/dark. So I have seen what works good and what doesn't. Not only for the experienced shooter but for the new shooter as well.

Bottom line.....
    Night sights and/or a hand held flashlight are slow and pretty inaccurate.

A gun mounted laser is fast but in low light/dark a light must be used to identify the target.
    Overall, it still can be slow. Accurate but slow, because in near dark it needs a light source (hand held flashlight).

The gun mounted laser/light is fast and accurate.

Up until about a couple years ago the speed and accuracy of the laser/light had to be live fire demonstrated to the hard core laser hater, but something happened one night on my range that surprised even me.

I teach new shooters and a couple years ago...........

"Three ladies, that had not touched a gun before, came to my place (outside range) to learn to shoot.
    They arrived late, so after all the stuff you tell new shooters, they only had enough daylight to shoot three magazines each. I start new shooters on the Ruger SR22.
    The ladies did about average.

As it was getting dark and I was packing up I saw I had a laser/light equipped SR22 in my gun box.

I told the ladies,
    Usually I don't have new shooters learn the gun mounted laser until they get pretty fair with iron sights,
    BUT, since you are here and it's getting dark and I happen to have a laser/light equipped pistol with me, if you want, I'll give you a quick laser/light lesson and you can try it out.

The ladies were excited.

I told them the drill is...........
    It's dark (which by now it was) and for some reason you confront 4 bad guys.
    4 steel targets, spaced out about 10 yards across the front of the lady, about 10 yards away.
    Stand your ground when I say SHOOT, Hit your laser/light switch and shoot all four targets, back and forth and keep reloading, until you empty your 3 magazines (30 rounds).
    Shoot as fast as you can, but do not miss. I don't tolerate misses.

There was another lady there that I had taught to shoot, who was ready to go for her Concealed Carry License. She hadn't intended to shoot today.
    I told her,
    "Your turn, except since you are "experienced", (but she never saw a laser/light before) I want you to continue moving as you shoot."

Here' s the interesting thing.
    Four Ladies, three BRAND NEW shooters, and one fairly new shooter, shooting the laser/light equipped gun the FIRST TIME THEY THEY EVER SAW ONE,
    In total darkness........... MISSED..................
    ONE SHOT out of 120 shots.The Ladies HAD A BALL.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    toddnjoyce and TX OMFS like this.
  6. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine Active Member

May 6, 2014
    A favorite low light, laser drill, is shooting 100-200 rounds from 5 to 15 yards while constantly on the move.

My target scoring is simple, Pass of Fail.
    No matter how many rounds I shoot at the target, a single miss makes the whole target a "Fail".
    The reasoning is simple.
    I missed. The bad guy did not. I'm dead=FAIL.

This target is a Fail. I put a bullet on the right black line.

Fun shooting. Good laser/light practice.

upload_2020-2-21_17-0-5.jpeg

7. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 TGT Addict

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Is this a Necro thread record?

CyberWolf likes this.
  8. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 TGT Addict

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    download.jpeg.jpg

Davetex, V-Tach and Bozz10mm like this.
  9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine Active Member

May 6, 2014
    I have a few minutes before I have to decide on something for supper.

So I ran just 4 magazines through the Crimson Trace laser equipped S&W 9mm Shield (excellent gun).

Shot at 10 yards, one handed, from the hip, fast firing.

Using the laser is just too easy. :)

TV Dinner?
    Yeah, I guess so.

10. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    "NC Star" = made in North Korea! That should tell one something about the quality! (or North China ..............) Like buying a Yugo!

Davetex and baboon like this.